Meter Page…

This topic contains 28 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Albin Albin 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

Yea A&H count me in for being in the ‘this has confused me in the past’ group.
    Jim

R72 & IDR32
    MacBook pro
    iPad 2
    Airport express router

jimvoyager
    Participant

In fact it would wonderfully to have global overview, say all inputs and all mixes displaying dynamics and a level meter.
    There are some much lesser systems out there that do this.
    I virtually never use the meter screen due to it only displaying 16 Chanel’s max.
    It’s just not enough. I’m constantly switching between user screens or from inputs1-16, then17-32

J

R72 & IDR32
    MacBook pro
    iPad 2
    Airport express router

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

ok first things first… if you have a big AND KNOW ABOUT IT!, please fix it. dont have the attitude….’oh enough people dont complain so we wont fix it’.
    that was a big shock that that is your attitude A&H….anyway moving along….
    i think we can clearly see that noone likes the bug and it needs to be fixed. :) simple.

Current stock:
    2x T112, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 2x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Yes, would like to see that changed also.
    So another vote for changing this…

And: frozenwaffles: it seems like this is an wanted thing – not a bug – so don`t be so rough – cause A&H is doing a good job – always looking in the forum and have an open ear for requests.

frozenwaffles
    Participant

hi albin, i appreciate your comment and i dont mean to be harsh, but it is a bug and A&H said this in an ealier post. i was something they were meant to fix… they just never did.
    I get very sick of software developers and people that manufacture complexe software/hardware and not test it properly/throughly and/or not fix bugs/things that are not operating quite right.
    if i conducted my business with these attitudes i would be out of business very quickly… yet we have forked over our money and we just sit and wait.
    i love A&H and i love the iLive. what they are doing with it is awesome…hence why we have invested heavily in it…
    this is a bug i reported almost the day i got the console years ago…and its still not fixed.
    anyway hopefully it will be done soon… :)
    i feel a major release coming soon anyway…

Current stock:

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

frozenwaffles –

Nowhere in this thread did I see A&H refer to this situation as a “bug”, as you have asserted it is. The “issue” being described by A&H is that the virtual leds display a preview of what the dynamics screens would show on a selected channel. Personally, I have no problem. There is always an on-off indicator where you do wish to adjust any dynamics, either by touch screen or encoder knob.

If something doesn’t work AS INTENDED, certainly, fix it. If it’s just not YOUR preference, that doesn’t qualify as bad code. Maybe if they removed the lights entirely you wouldn’t have an issue?

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Yes, i also could not read the word bug in the Post of A&H – as i understood it is an issue that some wanted to see CHANGED – so i think it is designed to work as it is.

frozenwaffles
    Participant

ok…detonator and albin… you are not on the same page…literally!
    i am not talking about the processing pages where you see how much compression ‘should’ be happening or what EQ ‘should’ be happening, or what limiting ‘should’ be happening…
    we are talking about the meters page/screen… you know the one when you press the meters button?
    on the meters page this ‘LED’ is not a preview its an ‘on’ indication and guess what….its not on!

Current stock:

jimvoyager
    Participant

It’s nice to see people care enough about ilive to be this passionate
    About it.
    J

R72 & IDR32
    MacBook pro
    iPad 2
    Airport express router

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

frozenwaffles –

I know exactly the screen to which you refer. METERS SCREEN, with the meter ladders and “virtual LED” lights for gate, comp, limit. I thought that was clear in my post, apologies if I was unclear. The issue, as I see it, is that YOU want the lights under the meter ladders to indicate “ON/OFF”, and they are currently indicating GAIN REDUCTION STATUS per the current settings of those dynamics, WITHOUT REGARD TO ON/OFF STATUS of that dynamic. (p.52 owners manual) The owners manual does not say these are “on/off” indicators as far as I know. If you can show me where in the manual these are on/off indicators I humbly apologize. I look at the current situation as a feature of the mixer, and if everyone seems to not like it, perhaps it will be changed or modified.

Regards,

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

In my opinion a metering page should show what IS happening with levels – what use is gain reduction metering that may or may not be happening? If you think about the normal level meters – would you be happy if they showed what might be happening ??? For example would you be happy if muted channels still contributed to output level meters?? “I don’t think so Tim ! ” Ok so it may not be a “bug” – but it is a useless level indication as it is. I love the iLive system but decent gain reduction overview metering is sadly missing in both hardware and editor.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

Hi,

Showing GR meter data in the metering page is on the request list and will feature in v1.9. It would not show unless the dynamic device was ‘IN’ / active.

The big debate is whether the hardware channel processing strip GR meter LEDs should show red if the dynamics section is ‘OUT/bypassed’.

Most compressors and mix engineers, when we did research for iLive years ago, seemed to want to see the GR data displayed whether the device is IN or OUT. On the basis they can see what would happen and the IN button/state is always next to it – so you can see the full picture. Dedicated compressor units seem to do this. For Gates you could argue its a bit over the top – but we need to be consistent.

On the screen there are ways to make it clear. On iLive we chose the yellow gain curve and on the GLD (given it maybe used by semi-pro and even occasional users) we have used the GR data in grey to show more visible cues between GR IN and OUT.

We always listen, but we also must make things consistent and not radically different without thought.

Thanks for your patience on this feature and thanks for your passionate feedback on iLive.

RobC
    Allen&Heath R&D

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Thanks Robc – Looking forward to 1.9! I also like the current processing strip GR metering showing regardless of In/Out status – but looking forward to improved GR metering on the Meters Page! Editor also???

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

frozenwaffles
    Participant

hi everyone…ok i’ll just clarify this as maybe i have not been clear in an area….
    At the moment, on the Meters page, the small LEDs that indicate GR for gate, comp and limit will flash according to what gain reduction could be taking place (based on the current threshhold settings). if its only a small amount the will flicker slightly, ifs its lots they will almost stay solid.
    The problem with this is that they will indicate this gair reduction regardless of where the processing is IN or OUT.
    All i want them to do is turn these LEDs off if the respective processing is not enabled.
    currently the LEDs lead you to believe that there is compression going on, even though the processing is infact not IN.
    i hope this clears it up…

Current stock:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.