Meter Page…

This topic contains 28 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Albin Albin 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

Hi, ok so its been a long time since i brought this bug to A&H attention, but im just wondering why we still have the bug where on the meter page….
    The gate, comp and limit lights all indicate that the process is active even if you dont have it turned ‘on’! ? !
    why is this???
    sure if its not actually on, then the comp light should not light up…otherwise its very easy to lok at the page and go ‘yeah im compressing that channel’, even though you actually arnt!
    please get this fixed!!!

Current stock:
    2x T112, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 2x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi frozenwaffles

We are aware of this issue. Some users have requested this change to be implemented though we have not had enough interest to justify this change. This issue is still up for review so the more feedback we get on how users think this should work will help us work on what is best for you.
    I have updated the status of this issue with your comments we will look into this for the next firmware release.

hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

Please count me in as one who would like to see gate/comp/limit lights OFF when the processing is OFF – it’s lead my team in to some pretty good wild-goose-chases that ended up with them so absorbed in fixing the problem that they ended up missing more important cues. Sure, we can’t account for others’ lack of discipline, but with some good design we can certainly limit the options!

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stealth

…we have not had enough interest to justify this change…

I’m interested.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of steve-s
    steve-s
    Participant

I thought the idea of having the processing lights active even when the process is switched off, is so the user can see what effect the gate/comp/limit would have before it is activated, like a sort of preview.

That said, many times I have seen users spend time adjusting dynamics thinking they are having an effect on the sound, but they have forgotten to switch the process on and are wasting their time. I suppose this would suggest something needs changing.

Steve

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Steve – they are talking about the Meters window – not the GR meters in the processing sections.
    I’d also like to see it fixed but also I’d like to have BETTER gain reduction metering in the meters window!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Hi,

Is this something that could be switched on/off in user settings (once the programming is done)? That way those that want the preview option can have it.

I have found it useful but have also fallen into the same trap as some others here.

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

I actually like it….. At first i didn’t, but now i can fidle with the settings before actually applying it. Somehow it’s helpfull to see what a compressor would do, before it does it’s job. Guest engineer get confused sometimes, but i even had a engineer who changed an eq setting from a channel he didn’t select first. His complaints where the same as the complaints i see here. Maybe it’s better to call it “processing preview” and add an option to turn it off (and market it as a new, exciting feature!)

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

In the meters page you want to see what the mixer levels ARE doing. Having a single Gain reduction led indicating that reduction is taking place when it might not be active is just not a good idea. Having said that – who actually finds them useful anyway as it is just one led – that might be wrong!!!!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

I’m not sure how relevant but kinda it is…
    When will the limiter be limiting on groups?
    They work visually when turned on, but no effect on the output which goes to the mains. input, aux, matrix channels are fine with limiter but groups. I don’t get it why…

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    M-Dante.

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

AFAIK the signal routes to the mains ist taken before the limiter. The limiter only affects the signalthat is routed to a physical output (surface or mixrack).

But back to the meters: I don’t want to see any gain reduction when zhe compressor or the gate is not activated.If I want to have a preview or make adjustments I can select the channel or group and watch the compressor or gate section.

And .. maxbe the meters page could look like this:
    [img]www.sound-service.com/meters1.jpg[/img]
    or like this:
    [img]www.sound-service.com/meters2.jpg[/img]

Greetings from Austria,

Andy

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

hmmm .. it doesn’t work … I’m sure i’ts me, not the forum :-)

Maybe you can see the pictures here: http://www.sound-service.com/meters

Andy

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

OOoooo Andy this is GREAT!!! Yes… this is superb!!! A&H please do similar..:)))

Mario from Poland.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yeah – that’s what I’m talkin bout! ( insert booty shuffle here!!!). Nice meters – very sexy! lol

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Very tasty, you’ve got my vote Andy!

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.