iPad remote desktop to Editor…. your thoughts?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iPad remote desktop to Editor…. your thoughts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geddy Geddy 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tyler Marshall
    Tyler Marshall
    Participant

Hi Guys – I’ll quote this comment on another post from Gary:

Regarding adjusting FX parameters, I’ve been using Jump Desktop. It’s a great app that you can control an external PC from your iPad. The iPad2 will run both MixPad and Jump at the same time and you can use 4 or 5 finger sweep to go from one to the other.

The PC in control is perminately connected to my MixRack and stays on stage with the MixRack at all times (it’s my emergency PC if my router or iPad or remote PC all fail).

With this set up i can adjust routing, ganging, scenes, FX etc from the iPad. You can even tap tempo but you need to make sure you don’t have any faders displayed on the PC your controlling otherwise the iPad can’t seem to do the metering and tapping at the same time if that’s makes sense?

So my question – has anyone else had experience with this ‘remote’ setup and which apps (including “Jump Desktop”) have worked well?

Thanks!

Tyler Martin
    H2 Entertainment, Winnipeg (Canada)
    iDR-16
    iPad2 w/mixpad
    D-Link DIR-815 (on 5GHz ‘A’ only, no WEP/WPA, Mac filter ON, Multicast ON
    Macbook Pro w/editor 1.83

Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

Hi Tyler, that’s an interesting way to make things work.
    Are you using the MacBook in your gear list to do it – is it actually a pc?

I have a MacBook too and might give it a go if there is software a vailable.

I have found mixpad to be unreliable too. It drops out so I loose control of gain, Eq and compression on the channels but the master faders still work.
    Pretty annoying when you can’t tell if you have control or not unless you make a big change!

Jim[8D]

R72 & IDR32
    MacBook pro
    iPad 2
    Airport express router

Profile photo of Tyler Marshall
    Tyler Marshall
    Participant

Yes the Macbook is always wired to the router and running editor as a backup – I can’t typically use a remote access app because the Macbook is running Keynote to drive our videos – so I f I remote to the desktop I will just see the Keynote screen (which is what ‘Keynote Remote’ is for, already running on the iPad.

Tyler Martin
    H2 Entertainment, Winnipeg (Canada)
    iDR-16
    iPad2 w/mixpad
    D-Link DIR-815 (on 5GHz ‘A’ only, no WEP/WPA, Mac filter ON, Multicast ON)
    Macbook Pro w/editor 1.83

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

Hi Tyler, Tim,

I’m working just the same way as Tyler described basically. The remote app I use is cloud connect. It’s a all in one file transfer/remote app running fine with macs. I’ve got jump desktop as well but I feel more familiar with cloud connect.

It’s basically the idea of having a redundancy for system access/control if power/network lines to FoH fails in any case.

Cheers

Gunter

Günter Eisbach
    dL-Recording
    Darmstadt / Germany

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.