Mix Rack Boot Failure

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Mix Rack Boot Failure

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of weily3524 weily3524 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rui-Miguel
    Rui-Miguel
    Participant

Hello,

I had this problem happened to me yesterday. We setup our T80 and iDR48 on Fryday and everything worked fine.
    On saturday morning when we came back to the venue the iLive system did not connect and the following message appeared on the surface:

Mix Rack at ***IP adress** did not boot correctly

Network settings were correct and with the support from my suplier (on the mobile at a Saturday bless him) I started the pprocess of starting up with the internal dip switches on. I tried them all, since I could not go online for support, but nothing worked and the same message appeared over and over again.

I finnaly setup my iDR16 to do the event, and now I am going to go to my suplier to try and solve the problem. But I decided to post this here to get some feedback from my fellow ilive users.

Any suggestion or comment on this is very much wellcome.

Thanks.

Surface: T112
    Rack: iDR48
    PC: Editor 1.81
    iPad: MixPad

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rui Miguel

Hello,

I had this problem happened to me yesterday. We setup our T80 and iDR48 on Fryday and everything worked fine.
    On saturday morning when we came back to the venue the iLive system did not connect and the following message appeared on the surface:

Mix Rack at ***IP adress** did not boot correctly

Network settings were correct and with the support from my suplier (on the mobile at a Saturday bless him) I started the pprocess of starting up with the internal dip switches on. I tried them all, since I could not go online for support, but nothing worked and the same message appeared over and over again.

I finnaly setup my iDR16 to do the event, and now I am going to go to my suplier to try and solve the problem. But I decided to post this here to get some feedback from my fellow ilive users.

Any suggestion or comment on this is very much wellcome.

Thanks.

Have you tried this procedure:
    How to reset the network settings
    1. Power off both the MixRack and Surface.
    2. Reset the MixRack network address.
    a. Insert a pointed object into the Reset hole in the MixRack
    CPU module. There is a switch inside – Press and hold the
    switch in.
    b. Power on the MixRack. Hold the CPU reset switch in for at
    least 15 seconds while the rack is booting up.
    3. Reset the Surface network address.
    a. Insert a pointed object into the Reset hole in the Surface
    CPU module. There is a switch inside – Press and hold the
    switch in.
    b. Power on the Surface. Hold the CPU reset switch in for at
    least 15 seconds while the surface is booting up.
    4. Reset the TouchScreen network address.
    a. Go to the UTILITY / Network / Network Setup page.
    b. Touch the Reset Network Settings button.
    c. Touch the Apply button at the top right of the screen.
    d. Touch the Restart Units button.
    The system reboots with default network addresses applied

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Miguel,

I had the same problem some months ago. my IDR16 wouldn’t boot anymore. It worked alright the week before. I am afraid there will be a problem with the DC power circuit for the DSP chips on the main board. Mine was replaced under warranty. New boards have a modification and there is a retrofit for older boards ( i did the modification on my older IDR48 main board because it was out off warranty but you better have good solder skills an a magnification glass )Off course you dealer can do the modification for you.
    I suggest you contact your dealer to see if it is still under warranty.
    resetting with the dip switches won’t work.

I suggest that everyone with an older fixed format board contacts his dealer to find out if the modification is needed and done. I did mine on the IDR48 because i don’t wan’t it to bite me in the bud some day. The IDR16 did but i could solve it with my IDR48

Kind regards

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Rui-Miguel
    Participant

Thanks Belgium,

In a way I’m relieved someone else has had this problem. It means there is a solution!
    I’ll go to my supplier today and have him solve the issue with A&H. The Rack is in warranty.

But, honestly, If A&H knows there is a problem with the board, they should recall all old MixRacks, regardless of warranty issues.
    This affects a major selling point of the iLive system. Stability, reliability! Knowing you can count on the system to be there for you.
    I feel a bit weary, thinking of what other traps may be there in the future.

I’ll post again when the problem is solved, just to give you a feedback.

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Miguel,

It is not a widespread problem and does not happen on ALL the old racks. So it is not an urgent matter but just to be on the safe side i did the upgrade myself. Every manufacturer will have some hardware/software problems. Its the way they deal with it. So there is a solution for this problem ( small retrofit ).
    Beside this problem my racks/boards always performed flawless.

Kind Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Rui-Miguel
    Participant

I know that all manufacturers have problems.
    And I’m glad that it is not widespread.

But it’s a b**** when it happens tou YOU! Especially when you have a setup day that goes flawless and when you arrive to start the next day your sound board doesn’t work…
    These things take years of life out of you, so I apologise for sounding a bit edgy!

Best regards,

Profile photo of przemko
    przemko
    Participant

hello

had the same problem with my iDR48.
    It was a hardware issue (mainboars) and it was fixed as I took the MixRack to my local dealer. Luckily, I was able to deliver spare iDR32 to the venue on time.

best regards

Przemko
    2x iDR32, 1x iDR48, R72, T80, T112

Rui-Miguel
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback Poland.

Glad to hear from 2 sources that it’s an easy fix. Now I just hope my local dealer hurries with the repair, so I can forget about it.

Will keep you posted,

Best regards,

Rui

Surface: T112 / T80
    Rack: iDR48 / iDR16
    PC: Editor 1.83
    iPad2: MixPad

Rui-Miguel
    Participant

Just to keep you posted, I’m now waiting on a new mainboard from A&H.
    Hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

Hi Rui, are you in a hot and humid environment?
    Apparently it is a contributing factor with the power supply failur thing.

I have talked to my local supplier in Sydney, they seem to think it’s not a problem for us here.
    I’m not convinced!

Jim

R72 & IDR32
    MacBook pro
    iPad 2
    Airport express router

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Jim,

do you mean that service bulletin regarding PSU mod?

ddff

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

It happened to my IDR48 about this time last year here in the South Island of New Zealand – would hardly call it hot or humid! However – the mixrack was in a van overnight so was subjected to a reasonable temperature swing before the failure at boot up the next morning. I have a new MB in that mixrack and both that and my IDR16 have had the power supply mod done. I would suggest that if you have an older mixrack and haven’t had it modded yet then get it done!
    The repair and mod’s were thankfully covered under warranty.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Rui-Miguel
    Participant

Well, hot and humid is not our thing here in the Winter time, but it did pass the night with the flightcase opened and in an old monastery, so lots of temperature swings there.
    I am now worried because you are mentioning a board change AND a power mod, wich are two diffent things, so I hope my supplier does that mod also.
    After all, this was the first time this happened in an iLive here in Portugal, and I am a bit worried about the repair.
    But I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input

Hi Rui,

Firstly we’re very sorry to hear that you’ve suffered a main-board failure and we can only apologise for any inconvenience and frustration this may have caused you.

Whilst this isn’t a ‘common fault’ it is something that can occur in very specific cirumstances. The nature of this fault is that at power on, and in certain environmental conditions (temperature differentials, humidity and high dust levels), the DSP DC circuit can cause an electrical over-stress.

We addressed this issue with a manufacturing change earlier this year – a new main board design and a modification for older main-boards – and we sent out a ‘Technical Bulletin’ to all of our international distributors to make them aware of the issue. Our distributors were then able to make a decision as to whether they felt it necessary to update any older units in the field.

>I am now worried because you are mentioning a board
    >change AND a power mod, wich are two diffent things

The ‘new’ main-boards do not require the modification, the modification is *only* for older main-boards to bring them ‘up to date’ with the new main-boards.

The new boards (and old boards that have been modified) have a small tracking change which prevents this failure occurring.

The replacement main-board you receive from your distributor should be the new model which does not require any modification – all products shipped from the UK as of the 20th January 2011 will not require modification.

>I am a bit worried about the repair

The repair in this case is a straightforward PCB swap – there is no component level work involved. Also, the failure will have been confined to the main-board, no other parts of the system should be affected.

If you own any older iDR mixracks and you would like to have the modification performed please contact your local dealer or the distributor in your country, Avitel, who will be able to assist you further:
    https://www.avitel.pt/

I hope this helps and again, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,
    Allen & Heath Technical Support

http://www.allen-heath.com/support

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by AH_Support
    If you own any older iDR mixracks and you would like to have the modification performed please contact your local dealer or the distributor in your country…

Is this modification free? If not, what is the estimated cost?

Wouter
    IDR32, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.