Panning!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sraymond sraymond 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’ve had an enquiry from a pink floyd tribute band. Obviously pink floyd are famous for the quadraphonic live sound and I’m wondering whether something like this is possible to achieve with an iLive?

I’m thinking along the lines of the standard left and right speaker configuration either side of the stage with another left and right at the back of the venue facing towards the stage. At the moment their samples are fed from a laptop in stereo. One option is to redo all the samples and make them four track and have our feeds from the laptop to the iLive and the laptop controls the panning but I would like to think this could be achieved without having to redo all the samples.

Any ideas how it maybe possible to pan the samples in a circular motion around the speakers individually. I thought about using scenes but I think this will just make the sound jump from one speaker to the next rather than a panning effect which is what I am after.

Please also bear in mind I do not own a surface, just a pen touch laptop and a iPad. Obviously I can do multiple fader moves with the iPad but not the laptop. Also, I’m planning on getting a Dante card soon, is there any configuration that samples could be sent via Dante to some panning software??? And back to the iLive? Obviously this would introduce latency but I don’t think this will be too much of an issue with the samples…

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Dante would be a good way to go – If the samples are coming from a laptop then install Dante Virtual Soundcard on it and send them direct to the iLive via Dante to the 4 speaker zones . Use your favourite DAW to handle the surround panning. You could send live audio to it also with input monitoring on in the DAW (obviously with some latency) and use markers in the software to jump to specific audio samples or to playback pre programmed automation surround pans. In this way you could do very complex surround pans – even multiple tracks all with different panning going on.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

hmmm – you could have some fun with the LS Matrix in iLive – load it up as an FX in the rack.
    you can then assign each of its outputs to separate XLRs etc to feed your speaker stacks.
    by playing around with the channels and where they are positioned in the room you could ‘simulate’ some Pink Floyd type of gyroscopics using the regular pan pot from the input channels (as this should pan all the way across / around the 4 or 5 outputs of the matrix). You could easily try it with 4 powered speakers at home!

please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Thanks Richard & Leon, I’m liking the answers so far. The Dante idea is some thing I can try in the future but I like the speaker matrix idea and think I will have a go with this set up at home. The only downside I see to this is you can’t keep panning in a circle continuously, it would only go from for example from rear left through front left then front right and then to rear right and back again unless I’m missing something?

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Panning in circle would need real surround capabilities, that the iLive system not has in this moment.

Setup the surround system with matrixes and the route the FX Inputs to the external matrix inputs. Produce the files as 4 channel files with the needed panning and there you go…

If it does not work with matrix use groups instead…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

The thought occurred to me that you could use two delays with discreet delay times each longer than the previous delay and assign them to the matrix outputs to simulate rotation. it doesn’t look like you can assign FX directly to the Matrix but you can insert them and use as dual mono to two Matrices. So you could get fullrotation with two FX and four matrices. It’s still not going to be panning but would likely create movement. Whether it would be usable is another question.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.