Monitoring and playing. Suggestions?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Monitoring and playing. Suggestions?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of timtrace timtrace 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

I play in a cover band and also run the PA from stage most of the time. I have an iDR-16 so I have 8 outputs to work with. 5 are for monitors, 3 for R & L Mains and sub.

One of the monitor channels is for my in-ear system. My in-ears have a mix of channel levels for me as a singer/guitar player.

Is there a way I can switch my in-ear channel to monitor the main mix in a fast and easy way? I have a few seconds between songs and on ones I don’t sing on, I’d like to be able to monitor the mains.

I have a stereo in-ear system, and I’m only using one channel, but I don’t have another output to use or this would be as easy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

How much do you need the “sub” output vs another aux/matrix out?

1. Lose the “sub” output, use the extra out as a matrix fed by LR, send this to your 2nd iem mix, toggle (mute) your vocal iem mix “off” and the matrix mix “on” when you don’t sing.
    -or-
    2. Keep the “sub” output, get a small mixer, 2 “Y” splitters, physically split the LR outputs, sending the splits to the mixer, feed this (mono) output to your iem transmitter, toggle as above.

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    T112/48 R72/32 Dir-815

MissingLink
    Participant

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I need the sub output, so I like your idea of splitting the LR out and sending it to my extra in-ear channel. To eliminate joining the LR channels, I think I can just use the left or the right as only one other player (guitar and vocals) are panned R as mine are panned L but only for slight stereo effect.

I’ll have to look but I think my IE has a signal pass through and this would just require a short cable and I’m off to the races. Thanks again.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Use the PAFL headphone buss to feed your ears? Just solo your aux for your normal IEM feed, solo off = mains. This would only be good if you don’t need the solo buss for other duties and if no one else can activate the solo! You could then use your IEM system in stereo and also free up another IDR16 output!
    Another way might be to set up two scenes that recall different patch bay (output) settings only – say scene 1 = your IEM aux out Idr16 A1, scene 2 = matrix 1 feeding IDR16 out A1. Feed the main mix to the matrix 1 buss and then you can use that matrix fader as a level of mains to your ears. I haven’t tried this to see if there are any glitches in the audio when the pachbay outs are changed – but it might work ok. Edit the scenes to only contain patchbay settings and nothing else. You could then assign those scenes to soft keys for quick recall.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

MissingLink
    Participant

Richard,

Thanks to you for the suggestions. I’m running the ilive from a editor session from a rack mount computer and either a laptop (if I need to walk around and mix) or a monitor/keyboard/mouse. So this means I don’t have any soft keys!

I like the idea of using the PFL headphone bus to monitor the mains. I could send that mix to one channel of my IEM and my normal monitor mix to the other channel of my IEM. I have a dial on the IEM receiver that I can rotate to mix or isolate each channel. That way I can have easy access to both mixes from my belt pack.

Thanks again!

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MissingLink

Richard,

Thanks to you for the suggestions. I’m running the ilive from a editor session from a rack mount computer and either a laptop (if I need to walk around and mix) or a monitor/keyboard/mouse. So this means I don’t have any soft keys!

I like the idea of using the PFL headphone bus to monitor the mains. I could send that mix to one channel of my IEM and my normal monitor mix to the other channel of my IEM. I have a dial on the IEM receiver that I can rotate to mix or isolate each channel. That way I can have easy access to both mixes from my belt pack.

Thanks again!

You can use the softkey tool simulation under the Tools menu in editor to simulate softkeys. Another possible control is the PL-8 PL-Anet module that has four switch inputs and four outputs. You could drop it in a box with four switches and four led’s and assign functions to the switches from the editor. Someone on here was going to try that about a year ago. He played and mixed from stage and wanted some control of effects if I remember correctly.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

If the pafl idea doesnt work for you,
    You can just set up a couple of scenes that toggle the ouputs to your ears to come from your mix or the mains.
    You can also feed both, your mix and the mains to a Matrix out and create scenes for toggling mutes.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

You can also feed both, your mix and the mains to a Matrix out and create scenes for toggling mutes.

Yeah you can do that (and it had also occurred to me) but as you can’t create a scene that only changes specific output busses you would need to scene safe all other busses to prevent them from changing. This highlights the fact that the scene system still needs improvements!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sraymondAnother possible control is the PL-8 PL-Anet module that has four switch inputs and four outputs. You could drop it in a box with four switches and four led’s and assign functions to the switches from the editor. Someone on here was going to try that about a year ago. He played and mixed from stage and wanted some control of effects if I remember correctly.

Haha! That is I … but I can’t find the old topic. Yes, my PL-8 and I are getting on famously.

I don’t own a surface. For me it’s the Editor all the way.

All my FOH-from-stage shows include PL-8 programming created using the PL-Anet browser and simulator. I use stereo FX mix mutes on two of the switches (vocal verb and delay), delay tap tempo on the third and a DCA mute on the fourth.

(When I run FOH for other bands, I use the softkey simulator to manage those very same tasks. Don’t forget to save those softkeys into a scene for handy recall!)

As for the PL-8, it lives inside my FOH rack in a plastic electrical junction box. A female EDAC-20 is mounted in one side of the box, and the PL-8 itself is the faceplate. A single CAT5 cable curves around to PL-Anet jack on the front of my iDR-32.

Finally, for foot control I built a four-switch, four-led footboard attached to a 10m multicore terminating in a male EDAC-20. The PL-8 footboard stays by my left foot, while my guitar footboard and DMX/lighting footboard live by my right. Stomp stomp stomp all night long. On up-tempo numbers I look like I’m walking on hot coals but all that activity fiercely feeds my ADD :)

MissingLink
    Participant

timtrace,

Wow, you are ahead of me for sure. I can barely sing, play guitar and keep the sound stable with tweaks between songs. Thanks for ideas for doing even more!

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Hi Tim,

Glad to hear it’s working for you. I knew it was you but was’nt absolutely sure about what you were controlling with it. I could’t remember what the subject was either, just remember wondering in a post about wiring switches into a PL 6 or 10 and then you found the PL 8 which is intended for custom interface. I may still wire one up here someday just for a few functions like tap tempo etc. Tell Dorothy hi….[;)]

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

LOL Scott — you got it! :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.