Help setting up DVS

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Help setting up DVS

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

So far I’ve been testing how to send signal from one iDR to another over Dante. Today I decided to set up recording on PC. Spent about 4h, but no luck so far. Maybe I’ve missed something or did not all I had to. What did I do:

– opened Dante controller
    – started DVS, set to 48000, 24 bit, 10 ms
    – in ASIO tab set buffer to 256, latency 5 ms
    – in controller did patching from iDR tx to DVS rx
    – opened Sonar, selected ASIO driver
    – made some blank tracks, assigned inputs to appropriate DVS rx
    – on iLive did output patching 1-64 direct outs
    – armed Sonar for recording, but indicators showed no signal
    – tried to record … nothing was there
    – decided Sonar is kinda POS and downloaded Reaper demo
    – did input and output patching via matrix
    – armed channels- no luck, indicators not showing input
    – pressed REC, time was standing still (in Sonar it was running)
    – ran out of ideas so came here to ask what is wrong…

thanks in advance!

ddff

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Maybe dumb question, but did you enable DVS? The big button in the middle?
    Just asking, cause that was my first fault…

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Don’t feel too bad if you make that mistake, took us a while to realise that was actually a button as well!

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yup,

took me for a while to identify the button, but that was not a problem in my case. I just forgot to plug ethernet cable from control port to dante audio port. So I got audio running finally, however not satisfied with results- got HP laptop with i3, 3 GB RAM but when recording more than one track it sounds gapped, pitch is changing, stops for a while, etc.
    Maybe gotta look for some hardware that’s dedicated to audio recording, like JoeCo or something…

ddff

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Hmm. I am recording with an small Acer Laptop Aspire 1810TZ (Pentium Dual Core – not a really fast one) and had no problems so far.
    Clock settings are right? Is Dante syncing to Ilive?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, it looks kinda funny, my FSC Lifebook P7230 (core duo 1,2 GHz, 2 GB RAM) could easy record 32 channels, it started to skip audio at 64 ch, but that is logical for old laptop. Clocks are OK, it’s just computer and/or operating system’s ability to handle huge amount of data, I think.
    I also tried with one huge box- IBM IntelliStation dual xeon 3.xx GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 140 GB ultra fast scsi disk, same problem- 64 channels can’t be recorded. Did everything Audinate recommends about operating system, checked DPC latency- it’s about 100 us – far below green line. Don’t have anything more serious than that arround, will continue experiments with different settings such as latency, buffer size, number of tracks, etc.

ddff

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Hi LV what cables you are using for dante? i had such problems when used regular cat5 cables when i have changed to shielded cat6 with Harting connectors everything fixed up.

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

The cable is 1m long cat5e. Don’t have cat6 arround, but do you think that’s critical for such short runs?

ddff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi ddff

You do not have to use Cat6, but it’s always worth trying a different cable.

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.