Mixer Config.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Does good housekeeping on the Mixer Config window help the MixRack run more efficiently? The reason I say this is with Editor I used to have all the mix buses I could active even though I never used all of them and in Editor used the custom strip window to just have strips on view that I needed… seems to work so why change?

Since using MixPad all of the available buses are permanently displayed and the custom strip is not as flexible as in Editor so I’ve been configuring the MixRack exactly with the buses I will use at the gig (for example, no matrices, 3 FX, 6 auxes, no groups etc.)

Since doing this I have noticed the “system busy” messages I used to occasionally get have completely disappeared, hence the question “Does good housekeeping on the Mixer Config window help the mixer run more efficiently?”

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Cant answer your question re efficiency (although I suspect it should speed things up) but I would like to say that it would always be a good idea to leave at least a couple of spare bus’s/Matrix outputs in your config over what you actually think you need. Often a last minute change like needing an extra speaker/Monitor zone or media feed or a guest engineer who wants to add some outboard gear etc can happen and it is far eassier and quicker to just grab an unused bus than to have to reconfigure the mixrack – not to mention the fact that you can’t pass audio for a few minutes during a mixrack config change!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Joe

This is an interesting question, the less mixbuses setup in the mix config will result in less complexity and links the system needs to make between a surface or an Editor connection so yes there may be a difference in performance.

Stix has a good point it is always very useful to have a few spare mixes available, though if you have a static setup that you know never needs changing then optimising your mix config may just help the system run that little more smoother.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Thankyou for the answer Sam.

Most of the gigs I engineer for are bands with the same setup every time so the emergency / spare buses is not to much of an issue but I agree with you Richard that having some spares at festival / battle of the bands / unfamiliar band type gigs is a must…

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Help me understand how the system has enough DSP cycles to operate all the channels, buses and effects of any given configuration, yet runs “smoother” in a different setup. If this is true it seems important to understand by what mechanism the “non-smooth” situations may arise and how to avoid them.

This actually brings up another point: if there exists some configuration of the effects that could exhaust the DSP resources available. If so, how does one know when this occurs.

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Oh dear… worms in a can, can opener at the ready!

I’m no computer expert but I would have thought that like any computer system the less you have runing the faster and smoother it appears to run. Just look at how anti-virus software can affect your computers speed. I’m sure the iLive is designed to run all availible buses without a hickup and my computer is overspec’d for anti-virus software requirements but they both seem to run smoother with less going on???

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

the more editor has to read and write (complex routing dcas e.t.c) the complex is the show (xml) file editor hat to interpret – more work,
    the best way to see the difference is: save a big scene (save all) change some settings and the press update scene – it takes a while – if you press again save all – it is much quicker , coz if you update it runs selective ( the system has to check every item in the scene and does the update only where it is needed – if you press store all – it just needs to write (overwrite) everything

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.