Jump Desktop RDP app for iPad

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Jump Desktop RDP app for iPad

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe90 Joe90 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22974
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

    Just thought I’d mention this app I tried for the iPad. Haven’t got a lot of time on it but seems to work nicely to access a PC. So far just tried it with the X61 Tablet with XP Pro and seems stable. Worked to get into the editor on the Tablet and label channel strips setting scenes etc. I was running it with Mixpad open and could jump back and forth with no problem so far. I could open Media player and the audio streams to the iPad so there may be possibilities there, but haven’t had time to dig into that yet. I decided to try this app as it had good reviews and it doesn’t need anything installed on the PC’s. I just set it up manually and it worked from the start. No problems….I was surprised! If you’re willing to part with 15$ it’s something to check out. Supposed to work with VNC as well.

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

    #29731
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

    I like Splashtop Remote for the same thing (again, it’ll do audio streaming), except on iPad 1 it’s a no go at the same time as editor – you do however need to have the splashtop client installed on the PC

    Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

    #29733
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

    I also use splashtop remote.

    And foobar remote on iPad to control music playback on the PC via Dante. Works really nice.

    Wouter

    Wouter
    IDR32, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

    #29735
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

    Agreed with Wouter, I’m using Foobar remote (on my iPhone because my iPad 1 won’t run 2 apps!) and it’s an nice app.

    Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

    #29738
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

    I’ve got splashtop on my ipad2 and like Adam says you have to have the program on the PC you want to control which is no problem really. It is a great app but with one flaw in my opinion which is if you have MixPad and splashtop both running, when you switch between the two MixPad displays as the screen you left it as which is nice (no reconnecting) whereas splashtop reverts back to the ‘choose the device you want to connect to screen’ which is annoying when you want to just flip between the two for either mixing of tapping tempo and scenes etc…

    Been thinking about buying another iPad and making a case that holds them back to back, MixPad running on one and MixPad and splashtop both running on the other, just flip it over depending on what you need!

    Really hope the splashtop developers will sort out the ‘flaw’ soon…

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad2 & MixPad

    #29745
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by Joe90

    It is a great app but with one flaw in my opinion which is if you have MixPad and splashtop both running, when you switch between the two MixPad displays as the screen you left it as which is nice (no reconnecting) whereas splashtop reverts back to the ‘choose the device you want to connect to screen’ which is annoying when you want to just flip between the two for either mixing of tapping tempo and scenes etc…

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad2 & MixPad


    FWIW…Jump Desktop goes directly to background when you switch to another app such as MixPad. I can jump between them as fast as I can exit one and get the next tapped. Switching to another computer is two taps to disconnect and one to connect to next computer. It takes 2 to 3 seconds to open the connection.

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

    #29746
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

    [/quote]

    FWIW…Jump Desktop goes directly to background when you switch to another app such as MixPad. I can jump between them as fast as I can exit one and get the next tapped. Switching to another computer is two taps to disconnect and one to connect to next computer. It takes 2 to 3 seconds to open the connection.

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2
    [/quote]

    Really? Sounds great… Might have to give it a try. I wish some of these more costly apps were available in a full trial version and expire after a 12 hours or the like. I’m sure they’d sell more in the long term.

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

    #29938
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

    Hi,

    Just downloaded jump desktop but I’m having a few issues with set up and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I can get it to work with my home internet set up but when I try to use it with my iLive set up I just can’t get it connect.

    My set up is an iDR-32 on the default IP address.
    I have a perminatly connected Dell laptop which is hard wired to the iDR and has IP address 192.168.1.10
    The Netgear router is also plugged directly into the iDR with IP address 192.168.1.254 with DHCP set to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200
    Any device I want to connect i.e. 2nd laptop and iPad2 connects to the iDR via the router with no issues.

    I’m trying to get jump desktop to connect to my hard wired laptop 192.168.1.10 but I just can’t get it to connect. I don’t think it has anything to do with IP address conflicts as I can connect using splash top without any problems but splash top is not suitable when swapping to and from MixPad and hence would like to get jump desktop working.

    It seems having to have a Gmail account maybe causing an issue as I can connect at home with Internet connect connection but obviously the iLive set up does not have Internet.

    Any help would be much apprieciated…

    Edit – Managed to get it working now, not sure what I did though!

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

    #29941
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

    Just thought I’d mention that Jump Desktop is doing exactly what I wanted it to do and thats to be able to flip between MixPad and remote editor screen with out any waiting. If you have both apps running (probably only iPad2) and you have the Multitasking gestures switched on you can 4 or 5 finger swipe between the apps so flipping between MixPad and remote editor without using the iPad button… so tap tempo and scenes all from the iPad!

    Fantastic app and worth every penny!

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

    #29942
    Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

    if one of the “success” guys could give us hints how to get it to work
    that would be great

    quote:


    Originally posted by Joe90

    Hi,

    Just downloaded jump desktop but I’m having a few issues with set up and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I can get it to work with my home internet set up but when I try to use it with my iLive set up I just can’t get it connect.

    My set up is an iDR-32 on the default IP address.
    I have a perminatly connected Dell laptop which is hard wired to the iDR and has IP address 192.168.1.10
    The Netgear router is also plugged directly into the iDR with IP address 192.168.1.254 with DHCP set to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200
    Any device I want to connect i.e. 2nd laptop and iPad2 connects to the iDR via the router with no issues.

    I’m trying to get jump desktop to connect to my hard wired laptop 192.168.1.10 but I just can’t get it to connect. I don’t think it has anything to do with IP address conflicts as I can connect using splash top without any problems but splash top is not suitable when swapping to and from MixPad and hence would like to get jump desktop working.

    It seems having to have a Gmail account maybe causing an issue as I can connect at home with Internet connect connection but obviously the iLive set up does not have Internet.

    Any help would be much apprieciated…

    Edit – Managed to get it working now, not sure what I did though!

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.


    cheers
    dave

    allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

    #30011
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by mumu

    if one of the “success” guys could give us hints how to get it to work
    that would be great

    cheers
    dave

    allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)


    Gary & Dave,

    I just did the manual route when I set up Jump. I’m just a control freak I guess. Check http://support.jumpdesktop.com/entries/194620 for an overview of this though a lot of it’s not needed as it’s based on connecting from an outside network. I use manual addressing on my iDR network and set up MAC address filtering as well, though that’s a separate issue that shouldn’t matter for jump. The main items were setting my IP addresses in Jump and then setting port forwarding in the router for the 3389 port. I just did some digging in my router to find it, but the Jump link has info listed for finding instructions for a specific router. FWIW you also need to be aware of enabling remote desktop acess and windows/virus software firewall issues that can defeat RDP. Tips in the link as well. Something that occurred to me is that DHCP on the router could possibly foul things up if you happen to log in with multiple computers in different order as their IP addresses would change. Jump may get to a computer but if it’s not the computer you’re expecting, your login and password won’ be correct and keep you from connecting.

    Another link for local networking manual setup… http://support.jumpdesktop.com/entries/156789-connectivity-other-ways-to-connect-if-you-do-not-want-to-use-a-google-account-to-log-into-your-pc

    Gary … I’m not sure about the problem connecting with the computer connected directly to the iDR. It seems it would connect through the router via the built in switch but it’s possible that could interfere with the port forwarding from the router. I don’t have enough of a handle on how port forwarding works to say for sure. I’ll have to try it with my desktop connected that way and see if I can connect OK. Just noticed this when looking for the second link… http://support.jumpdesktop.com/entries/178056-connectivity-dell-laptop-users-black-screen-after-entering-windows-login-credentials

    Maybe another issue could be mixing up the LAN and wireless IP’s on a computer or having the wireless on with the LAN connected…trust me, I’ve been there and done that….. [:(!]

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

    #30012
    Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

    Jump started to work when I went into my router settings and messed around with port forwarding options, not really to sure exactly what I did but this definitely had something to do with getting it working.

    The only reason I have my ’emergency’ laptop directly into the MixRack is so if the router goes down I still have control of the MixRack and Jump does work with this set up.

    I really wish A&H would make a dedicated router for us iLivers so then they can publish in depth instructions on how to set it up as at the moment he only variable in each iLive set up is the router…

    Cheers,

    Gary.

    iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700 -wireless.
    Dell Latitude – hardwired to MixRack for emergencies!
    iPad2 & MixPad & Spashtop.
    Dante – in the very near future.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.