Dante suggestions please!

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante suggestions please!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Biggsounds Biggsounds 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Hey folks,
    I’ve just fitted the Dante into my new iDR48 (upgraded from the iDR32 last week!), and I’d love to work out how to run Editor & the Dante stream via my Belkin router, but they don’t seem to want to play nice together – anyone want to enlighten me on how they have this type of setup configured? At the moment I’ve got Dante running wired (obviously) and have Editor running on the laptop via the wireless router – I’d just prefer to have that hardwired connection if I can, I seem to remember someone wrote on here previously that they had it working.

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Adam,

If you want Dante and Editor or third-party Ethernet data to be on the same network, your Ethernet switch should support Diffserv (DSCP) Quality of Service (QoS) with strict priority and 4 queues, as these features are used to prioritize clock sync and audio traffic over other network data. Although some users found it was working with standard Gigabit switches, a list of recommended devices is available on the Audinate website.

If the router DHCP service is turned on and DHCP is enabled in iLive, all devices on the network automatically get assigned a compatible IP address so both iLive and Dante devices can be viewed and controlled from the same computer. Since iLive devices do not support Zero Config auto addressing, on a network without DHCP you would need to
    manually assign each device (MixRack, Surface and TouchScreen) to a compatible address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range.

Hope this helps

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hi nicola i cant find the list of recommended devices on the audinate site…..help (link) appreachiated

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks Nicola,
    I’ll have a play with the router & see if it’ll provide those specs – very frustrating that I bought that Belkin because it was the one recommended at the time and now it seems to be poo-pooed by everyone (and the wireless performance from it is actually worse than the $80 unit I used before!)…

Dave, I haven’t found a recommended list either, but this page on Audinate’s site was helpful: https://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=253#Switches
    Agreed though, I’d like a recommendation by model and brand – I’ll happily get rid of the Belkin if there’s a better option.

Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

It looks like the list has been dropped from the website. I’ll ask Audinate if it’s still available.

Adam, the Belkin PlayMax N600HD is a WiFi router that we originally recommended for MixPad before realizing its firmware wasn’t ready for Apple iOS 4. It’s still among the top places in our compatibility chart for WiFi Editor and iPad control. We’ve never mentioned this router was suitable for Dante networking, and I wouldn’t recommend mixing Wi-Fi and Dante networks unless strictly necessary.

Nicola

Biggsounds
    Participant

Sure, if I need to run a separate router for MixPad that’s not out of the question, if there’s a way of bridging the Network port on the front of the iLive to the Network port on the Dante card I’d like to know how that is supposed to work, as I assume that will give me effectively the same thing (ie network access to Editor via the line I’m currently running for Dante)?

Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Yes!
    I am very curious about presicely the same question!

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Biggsounds
    Participant

Yes I guess I should have clarified it better to start with – I don’t care if the Dante feeds the router or runs straight to the PC, I’m just keen to bridge the network port (happy to have a little jumper across to do it, and a separate feed from the network ports to the router)

Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Adam – I have Dante card and the iLive network connected to my D-Link DIR825 gigabit router and can then run Editor and Dante feeds to my Mac BookPro on the one cat5 Ethernet connection. I can’t recall exactly how I set it up to work but it does work ok. I have to watch buffer sizes in Logic when recording to avoid clicks in the recording though. I know others have sucessfully used the popular TP-Link router also.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all

Bridging the iLive network over the Dante card is not supported with current firmware V3.4.x as it would drop the Primary link to 100Mbit/s. It will be implemented in a major firmware release for the Audinate Brooklyn II module used in the M-DANTE card.

At the moment, the only way to have Editor and Dante running on the same computer, is to connect both the iLive network and the Dante card to an external, Gigabit Ethernet switch. Please see above regarding IP addresses and QoS.

Cheers

Nicola

Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks Nicola, I did have it in the back of my head that the Dante network port was a ‘future firmware’ thing, thanks for clarifying. I’ve got the rack on the bench tomorrow, I’ll try the IP & QoS suggestions & see how I go.
    Thanks Richard, again if we can get a list of recommended devices from Audinate it will take some of the guessing game out of buying another router (I got caught with the Belkin thinking it would be the pick, I’d prefer to wait and make sure next time!).

Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

I have editor and Dante permanently connected to my Wifi-router. I’m currently touring with this set-up. Never had any problem.

Wouter
    IDR32, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Biggsounds
    Participant

So it seems either the TP link or D link is the go if I don’t have any joy with my Belkin, thanks for the recommendations guys!

Adam Biggs
    iDR48 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.