dual rack recording

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions dual rack recording

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mjpruzin
    mjpruzin
    Participant

My Setup:

IDR 32 Master FOH
    ilive 144 Surface FOH
    IDR 10 Slave onstage

Has anyone tried/is it possible to record the direct outs of the slave through outputs on the Master. I can’t figure out how to route the direct outs of the Slave back to the Master.

Thanks,
    Jason

mjpruzin
    Participant

To follow up-I realize that one option would be to get outputs from the slave rack, but most of my inputs are located FOH from a wireless rack an that is also the location my recording setup. I’d rather be able to digitally return 10 input direct outs from slave to master than move the recording rig backstage, although for this project the easiest solution may be running a mult.

Profile photo of benmannell
    benmannell
    Participant

Yes, in my understanding this should be possible. I myself have a T112 and iDR-32, and am planning to get another rack in the future and want to do exactly this, so I’m interested to hear other’s explanations too!

Firstly, I assume the two racks are connected by ACE and you’ve set up Dual Rack mode correctly. I can’t tell you the exact steps as I can’t seem to reproduce this setup in the iLive editor (the subject of another post), so I’ll explain the concept.

Signals plugged into the slave rack must be patched to mixer channels 65 thru 128. Assuming you’ve patched 1-1, input 1 will be channel 65.

Go to the I/O patch page for the slave rack, select the Port A: ACE tab. I think you’ll find slots 1-32 are not available as they’re used for sending mix busses etc to the master rack? Select the first available one, say 33, select “Input – Direct Out” as the output source, and choose the correct channel number (It may be 1 or 65?). Your first signal is now appearing at the Master rack on port B ACE channel 33.

Go to the I/O patch page for the Master rack. Select the output you want the signal to be recorded to come out of, then assign to it the corresponding signal coming in to the Port B ACE card.

So, to summarise, send:
    Input 1 of iDR-10 to Port A: ACE ch33 (on the iDR-10)
    Port B: ACE ch33 on the iDR-32 to Output 1 on iDR-32

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Just for recording it is possible to add a xDR-16 to the setup with the recording outputs in it. It has to be connected to the main iDR with ACE.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

mjpruzin
    Participant

This is indeed the logic I used, but was unable to make it work. I did get a warning that redundant link was enabled but when I checked it was not, and I tried enabling and disabling to see if that would help. Wonder if there might be a bug. Now that one production is down I’ll reset the console and try again.

quote:

Originally posted by benmannell

Yes, in my understanding this should be possible. I myself have a T112 and iDR-32, and am planning to get another rack in the future and want to do exactly this, so I’m interested to hear other’s explanations too!

Firstly, I assume the two racks are connected by ACE and you’ve set up Dual Rack mode correctly. I can’t tell you the exact steps as I can’t seem to reproduce this setup in the iLive editor (the subject of another post), so I’ll explain the concept.

Signals plugged into the slave rack must be patched to mixer channels 65 thru 128. Assuming you’ve patched 1-1, input 1 will be channel 65.

Go to the I/O patch page for the slave rack, select the Port A: ACE tab. I think you’ll find slots 1-32 are not available as they’re used for sending mix busses etc to the master rack? Select the first available one, say 33, select “Input – Direct Out” as the output source, and choose the correct channel number (It may be 1 or 65?). Your first signal is now appearing at the Master rack on port B ACE channel 33.

Go to the I/O patch page for the Master rack. Select the output you want the signal to be recorded to come out of, then assign to it the corresponding signal coming in to the Port B ACE card.

So, to summarise, send:
    Input 1 of iDR-10 to Port A: ACE ch33 (on the iDR-10)
    Port B: ACE ch33 on the iDR-32 to Output 1 on iDR-32

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi MJpruzin

Benmannell is correct with his description of outputting input direct out of a slave mixrack to the master mixrack outputs.

Without an xDr16 attached to the system i would leave redundant mode ON for both the master and slave mixrack. You will need to switch between mixracks in the Mixer preferences window to make sure both mixracks have this redundancy turned On.

See if that fixes your issue.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.