Promising Wireless router

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Promising Wireless router

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Albin Albin 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Does anybody have experience with this one?

DIR-655 – Wireless N Gigabit-router

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of rreuscher
    rreuscher
    Participant

I tried like 4 different Wireless Routers. And ended up ( after A&H published the list) with the D-Link DIR-815. They all worked well in home / test environment. Some better with multicast then others. But in the end when it came to live venue situation, they all started loosing connection constantly. During soundcheck everything worked fine, but the moment the people get in, and the real deal begins, the problems start.
    I think this is for the main part caused by all the people having there 2,4Ghz Mobile and today has there Wifi / Bluetooth … turned on.

The moment I switched to the D-Links 5Ghz band, all these problems disappeared. I cannot say that the connection does not drop anymore, but its 10 times more stable is in the 2,4 Ghz band.

As said I tried 4 routers out of the A&H shortlist. From that list the D-Link DIR-815 is for me absolutly the winner

Best Regards,

Rene

T112&IDR48
    Dante
    Ipad
    MBpro

Nothing is completly true, and even that’s not true.

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Same here,

5Ghz 811,a is the way to go [:D]

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Another new one hit the market. I sent an email to tech support and received a response this morning.

Dear Sir/Madam:
    Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product
    The TL-WR2543ND also support multicast streams IGMP.
    Hope these would do help you and any other question would be highly welcomed.

To get technical support more quickly, please go to https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq.aspx?type=2

Best Regards

Nacy.mo
    Technical Support Engineer
    TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.
    Tel: +1 866 225-8139
    +86 755-2650-4400
    E-mail:Nacy.mo@tp-link.com

Original Message

Sent: 2011#24180;9#26376;28#26085; 11:31
    To: support.usa@tp-link.com
    Subject: New TL-WR2543ND question on IGMP multicast streams.

Good day, and thank you in advance for reading.

I am a current owner of the WR1043ND.  This router does support multicast
    streams IGMP.  Since this only uses the 2.4 GHZ band, I am interested in
    your new model as it works in the 5GHZ band.

My question is, will the new WR2543ND support IGMP multicast streams? 
    In particular, a group address of 239.0.1.1?

I could not find a setting in the user guide on your site for multicast
    streams for the new router, but the WR1043ND does not have it either.  There
    was a firmware upgrade to support it at a later time.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Chris Johnson
    Oswego, IL

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by scruffyd

Does anybody have experience with this one?

DIR-655 – Wireless N Gigabit-router

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

I’ve had one laying around for a while that I just set up to try out with the rack and computers. Had it running with the rack, a desktop, X61 tablet and iPad2. Used it with Multicast enabled and MAC filtering and it seemed to work good as far as the metering went. Had everything in the basement but wandered upstairs with the iPad to try it and it worked well when I was up there. I hit a dead spot on the way back down as the iPad lost the connection but it reconnected fine.
    I’m finding the iPad wireless not quite as robust as the tablet but I haven’t tried it in a larger open space yet. I think it was getting better signal running on N on the D-link than G on the Linksys router I’ve been using. The Tablet is G only and still seems to get a better signal though. If you have a DIR 655 available you might give it a try, if not maybe the DR815 would be better with the 5 Ghz as several have mentioned.

P.S. Anyone know where the iDR racks are supposed to have their MAC address listed? I couldn’t find it on mine and had to come up with a command line program called Arp to get the MAC to enter in the router. I’ve got it now but was tearing my hair out trying to find it.

P.P.S. Well I did finally manage to overload the DIR 655. Running Editor on the Desktop and Tablet, Mixpad and Jump Desktop into the desktop from the iPad. the meters starting freezing randomly in the two Editors and MixPad. I still had control from everything, just the meters were going AWOL. So either I was brute force overloading the wireless or the Multicast on this router isn’t up to standards.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2N

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

If anyone is interested: i have tried the netgear WNDR3700 with multicast “on” – and everything works fine.

Profile photo of Gerger
    Gerger
    Participant

Are you still happy with WNDR3700 ?

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Purchased and tested the TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. IGMP proxy supported.
    Replacing my TL-WR1043ND which does not work in the 5GHZ spectrum.
    Multicast on my rig is always turned on whether I am using the T112, or just a laptop and iPad.
    Mixed a show with just the laptop, and used iPad throughout a three hour show. Laptop also connected wirelessly. I had to restart the iPad once due to distance, approx 300 feet.

Maybe I am just lucky, but my connection issues using the old router have always been related to wireless traffic on the 2.4GHZ band.
    The TL-WDR4300 is under 90.00 in the US.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gerger

Are you still happy with WNDR3700 ?

Yes i am. Working without problems very well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.