Problems with Multicast “on”

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Problems with Multicast “on”

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AndyH AndyH 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Hi!
    Bought an D-LINK DIR-825 and set it up (without DHCP) – with multicast off (in the editor) everything works fine.
    With multicast on the editor stops at about 13% and says that he can not connect.
    I have no surface connectet – only an IPad and my Laptop using the Editor.

Any hints what i am doing wrong here?

Thanks
    Albin

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I have the same Router and can’t get Multicast to work. I contacted D-Link and they sent this reply:

“Hi Richard, Thank you for your email.

The DIR-825 support IGMP Proxy and Enhanced IGMP Proxy. You will need to ensure that the “Enable Multicast Steams” under Advanced > Advanced Network is enabled.

The subnet 239.x.x.x is not supported on any DIR Series.”

Pretty sure the iLive multicast works on subnet 239.x.x.x so I think we are screwed! It works fine with Multicast turned off however and I have it also connected to the Dante gigabit network and working well.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

I tried the D-Link Router late last year, and had the same issue.
    Works very well with Multicast off, however- if you have multiple connections (laptops, iPad’s), the entire network will slow down considerably. This was even evident when choosing “sel” on an input channel.

I took Woutert’s advise and went to the TP-Link.
    The TP only works on the 2.4 GHZ band which is a different issue, but I have had good success with two laptops and two iPad’s connected to it. The router also works best when positioned at least 8′ high, and keep it away from the IEM transmitters. Multicast is turned on, and I do not have the slowdown issue as compared to the D-Link.

Spent day’s testing routers. I am done with that.
    Still hoping we can all get a business class solution, so I don’t get the “snicker” looking around the gig to park my 50.00 router. (Rant)

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.
    I bought the D-Link because of A&H recommendation for the DIR-815 (i thought bying the next “bigger” one is better then the small one)
    Ok, so i will send it back.

Thanks for the answers!

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Hi all,

On the d-link dir-815, everything works fine…..same brand, almost the same router. Very strange……

Greetings,

Gijsbert
    T112/idr32/ipad/d-link dir815

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Albin,

Seems like bigger isn’t allways better!

Good luck,
    Gijsbert

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Hi,

I also use the Dlink 815 and it works perfectly with multicast enabled.
    I use the 5Gz 811.a protocol and had no glitches or lost connections since on the ipad.
    And i have a great range. Don’t use the N or G protocol. the ‘a’ is more stable and is fast enough.

Strange, my IDR multicast is set to 139.0.1.1 but i can not see the setting in the DLink, just enable/disable multicast.
    Maybe multicast isn’t working but i have no connection problems.
    just make sure the if you connect two IDR racks they have a different multicast address

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Yes, indeed – it looks like that bigger is not always better…
    But very strange.
    So, lets have another look on A&H Suggestions…

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi All,

It’s a shame to hear the D-Link-825 is not working well with Multicast, unfortunately this is not one of the models we have tested so we can’t guarantee how well it will perform.

For a full list of all routers/access points we have tested please see:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive_Router_Compatibility_Version_1.pdf

We do know that the D-Link-815 does work correctly with iLive, as well as other routers listed in the document linked above. Christopher mentioned the TP-Link (TL-WR1043ND), which we have also had good results from.

For the D-Link-815, we found a few settings needed to be changed to get the best performance:

Firmware Version we tested: 1.00
    IP Address: 192.168.1.254
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP: Enabled
    DHCP Scope: 192.168.1.100-200
    Security: WPA or MAC Filtering
    Enable Multicast Streams by logging into the router setup page, selecting the advanced tab, select the advanced network menu, and tick ‘enable multicast streams’ and ‘wireless enhance mode’.

These settings may also apply to other D-Link routers, but unfortunately we cannot be sure unless it’s stated in our tested router chart above.

And for the mix rack, if you wish to enable multicast we recommend users leave their multicast Group IP Address as default (239.0.1.1). And Lieven is correct, if you connect several mix racks on the same network, we also recommend them having unique multicast Group IP Addresses (239.0.1.X).

For any further information on multicast, please go to either the iLive or Editor help menu; select ‘Setting up the Network’ then ‘Multicast Setup’ for a more in-depth look at the benefits of multicast.

To answer Christophers question; yes we are still investigating more business/enterprises level access points for our customers wishing to use several Laptop/iPads/iPhones in larger environments. Once we have something we recommend, it will be added to the table of routers/access points linked above.

I hope this information helps,

AndyH

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Thank you Andy. I have my fingers crossed and hoping a better solution is near.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND & Airport Express

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I’ve got my iLive system back from rent with complaint that surface level indicators are not working. After some research I found out the Multicast was enabled on the iDR system. After disabling that indicators were working fine. Any idea why that is so?

ddff

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

I’ve got my iLive system back from rent with complaint that surface level indicators are not working. After some research I found out the Multicast was enabled on the iDR system. After disabling that indicators were working fine. Any idea why that is so?

ddff

Did anyone use a computer and editor to setup the system before use? I can’t say for sure as I don’t own a surface, but I wonder if someone connected to just the rack with the editor and set the rack to multicast with the surface disconnected that maybe the surface wouldn’t get changed to receive meter data via multitcast that the rack was sending. Someone from A&H would know if that could happen.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad2

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I don’t think anything was changed via editor as system was supplied all together. Maybe this feature should be renamed as “surfaace indication on/off” as there are not any other changes.
    Btw: today I noticed red cross at Firmware (1.83) and event log in surface tab is giving message “no route to host” every 5 seconds. However system seems to be working fine.

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi ddff_lv,

It sounds like your multicast problem and the error messages you are getting might be related. They both suggest that your IP address settings maybe wrong.

First please ensure you have no other devices connected to the network.
    Then open up the Network Setup Page (You’ll find this under Utility -> Network).
    Please ensure that your settings are the same as below:
    Touch Screen IP: 192.168.1.3
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Domain: [null]
    Update Network Settings: Ticked.

Surface IP: 192.168.1.2

Mix Rack IP: 192.168.1.1

The last numbers of the IP address can be varied, but only between 1 and 254. And please ensure they do not clash with any other static IP address devices on your network (if you have a wireless router or access point then this will normally have its own static IP address).

Hope that helps,

AndyH

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Hi, Andy!

thanks for idea. My system has exactly this network configuration.

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.