Ipad as monitordesk

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Ipad as monitordesk

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gijsbert Gijsbert 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I wanna use my ipad as a monitordesk during a band performance. I rather use a complete surface, idr and ace cards, but there’s no budget… So my setup will be: t112 as foh, idr 32, an ipad and a dlink router. The band only uses 20 channels. On the t112 i have the cannels, 4 stereo fx, some dca and mains out. On my ipad i have channel 21 trhu 40 ,with the same input as ch 1-20 and four stereo auxes for iem. The ipad uses trim because the foh guys insist on having the gain. Here are my questions:
    -can i route the pfl from the ipad to a wedge output without hearing the foh pfl?
    -i assume that selecting a mix button on the ipad doesn’t select the mix on the surface and vice versa
    -does anyone has experience with a setup like this and has maybe some useful tips and hints?

It seems quite obvious but due to lack of time i can’t try it in real life before the show date. Thanks everybody!

Gijsbert
    T112, idr32 dlink ipad

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

yes, you will have to stick to trim if the FOH guys are in charge of gain. Although it seems to be more common practice for MON to control gain, leaving the FOH guys with trim.
    No audio passes through the ipad, everything goes into or out of the idr32. But PFL for outputs can be activated from ipad. FOH will activate pfl for inputs from surface. This is all configurable depending on available outputs.
    All controller units connected to idr 32 operate independantly so they can all work indepentantly.
    How do you have 40 channels on your idr32?

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Gijsbert
    Participant

Thanks for your comment

The gain and trim concept is hard to explain to the band’s own engineer. I myself prefer gain at the monitordesk as well, he doesn’t understand. (very old school analog guy). i don’t have 40 phsyical inputs, i use 20 inputs but i use the preamp of those channels for the next 20 channels. So channel 1 and 21 use the same preamp and so on.

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

LOL, your FOH guy sounds like someone I know.
    Yes, thats what I do too, works great.
    But seriously, you are going to have to explain to your FOH guy the effect on everybodys monitoring it will have if he is in charge of gain. Just tell him ‘from now on trim is your gain’

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Gijsbert
    Participant

My idea is to do a gain setup during soundcheck and during the show both use trim. I completly understand the whole concept, but he needs a great big kick in his analog you-know-what…..

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

As above, I have done shows with touring engineers & once a happy medium is set for the gain (from the monitor position) everyone switches over to trims for the show so neither one can ruin the others day with a sneaky change (because let’s face it, if you’re doing monitors & aren’t monitoring that particular channel when it changes you’ll be unaware it’s done until the artist gives you a reaming for it after the fact)… as far as the issue of PFL goes you can’t have 2 operators using different PFL’s at the same time – if the guy at FOH selects a channel that’s what you’ll hear in your PFL & vice versa. I’d suggest you’d be better either using a laptop running Editor for monitors or at least have one there for just those functions.

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Only narrow place here is PAFL bus, if you’ll set some AFL output the FOH guy will have same in his headphones.

ddff

Gijsbert
    Participant

Thanks everybody!

Here’s my intended work-around: i make an extra mono aux and connect it to a wedge next to the stage. I will have 4 stereo auxes for in ear and 1 aux for myself. I can select the aux-mix for my wedge and slide up the channel i wanna hear. Not great but workable.
    The other question, if i select a mix button from a monitor aux, is a mix button selection on the surface unselected? Or vice versa, if i select my own monitor aux mix button and at the surface a fader gets moved up, will i hear that?

Greetings!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

No, selection from one controller is not duplicated to another.

ddff

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

No, selection from one controller is not duplicated to another.

ddff

The mix button on one surface is not reflected on the other surface. However, selecting the same mix on either surface and moving the same fader on either surface when the mix is selected, will affect the same output.

If you assign an aux to a monitor and I select that aux mix and raise a fader, you will hear the channel get louder in your monitor.

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

This is where you also have to be careful with the setup of the editor/Ipad/Itweak. If you can or do select the FOH mix by accident you can start moving the faders on the FOH console and really freak out the engineer there. He may not realize what is going on. Any mix can be controlled from any “surface control” at any time. Or two can control the same mix. If there is a way to lock a mix to only a single surface or controller would be nice. If it exist could someone possibly share. I am unaware of this feature.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Gijsbert
    Participant

I only use the first 20 channels, fx in/out, dca and main on the surface. Nothing else, so other pages or strips are empty. On the ipad i use the next 20 channels with the same preamp as the first 20 channels. I make a custom layer with channel 21-40 and the 4 auxes for each band member. As long as i stay in my custom layer and the foh guy doesn’t assign one of my channels to his empty strip nothing can happen, i guess.

Any other ideas would be welcome

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.