FOH Editor and a Monitor Editor

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions FOH Editor and a Monitor Editor

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF VOLCANOJEFF 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Greetings —

I’m running an iDR-32 @ 1.82. I don’t own a surface. I use the Editor exclusively from FOH.

I’ve recently begun placing an Editor computer on stage. At this time I’m mirroring the FOH to the onstage computer – fader movements at FOH show up onstage and vice versa.

What I’d really like to do is set up the onstage computer as a monitor console, using one of the monitor templates. Is it possible to do this? If so, will I be able to use my existing FOH show as a base or must I throw it out?

Thank you —

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

you have missed the main thing! the moment when you placed PC on the stage you have the monitor console!:) just teach your monitor engineer to use editor.
    In iLive you can do everything or almost everything what you can imagine:0

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Using you editor on stage, set up a custom strip for the monitor controls. Multiple editor sessions on multiple computers could be used for different controls. I have done this with a laptop on each side of the stage for easy access and also a seperate control at FOH. Using an instance of editor at foh allows you to make changes to fx and or other settings while not having to mess wih the touch screen. Pulling up a specific monitor feed and changing the mix to that output is very simple from the editor. you will not have to change your FOH show. Just change the layout in the custom strip tab to help maintain the use of the monitors.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

With the iDR-32 and the iLive system allowing upto 64 channels you can have two channel strips assigned to one input on the mixrack. I’ve used 1-32 for FoH and then 33-64 for Monitoring then the only thing shared is the pre-amp. On each PC set up custom layers with channels 1-32 and mains, FX etc for FoH and on the other PC set up custom layers with 33-64 with aux’s etc… Seems to work quite nicely.

Gary.

iDR-32 – Netgear Router
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad2 & MixPad

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Just to be certain, I must use the custom strips…? I cannot apply a unique template to each Editor?

I’m enamored of how the 8m6st monitor template resembles a monitor console, simplified strip layouts and all.

Thank you, gentlemen :)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by timtrace

Just to be certain, I must use the custom strips…? I cannot apply a unique template to each Editor?

Correct!

quote:

Originally posted by timtrace

I’m enamored of how the 8m6st monitor template resembles a monitor console, simplified strip layouts and all.

resources are allocated from your mixrack which limits the amount of outputs, the way you utilize them is personal so if you do not need matrixes or groups at foh or use only a few, you may well allocate enough sends to build an 8M 6 ST layout for monitors albeit using the custom strips……(on a idr 32 you have 32 mix outputs/30 mix busses +8 FX)……….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

The editor runs along with the mixrack. Changing the “show” set up in the editor would also reconfigure the mixrack. you have to maintain the same show in the editor and mixrack that are connected. You can assign the outputs and build them as monitors as you like. With as many as you like until you hit either your bus limit or the output limit of your mixrack. Just as simple as setting an Aux out for say 8 monitor mixes, you can then send each of those to a out of the mix rack. With a computer interfaced and set up for each Aux(monitor mix) each operator could control their own mixes. This provided the operators dont try to get silly and mess with each other or the FOH mix. This works well in the Ipad app or even the tweak app as well.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.