Difficulties with Dante

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Difficulties with Dante

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ddff_lv ddff_lv 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I’ve recently got 3 Dante cards for all my systems, have set up FOH/ Monitor arrangement. I got signal from one unit to another but there are pops and clicks in all channels repeating with random sequence. I was looking into Dante Controller, but only thing I could do there is change interface name and do patching. When opened Device status and Clock status (which is the issue in my case, I think) nothing is shown there. Anyone had similar problem?

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

do you run dante controller from a computer wich is plugged in on the left of the dante ?
    (thats where you should plug it in if you do not connect a computer for recording/playback)
    in dante controller you have to tick both sync options!!(very important)
    clock source within your ilive rack should be internal (this you have to do on your i live.)
    if this is set the controller automatically sets one of your units to master and the other to slave.

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, I was connecting PC to Dante Controller socket (non-Neutrik). The next socket (Primary) was used to connect two iDR racks together.
    Problem with sync in Controller software was I couldn’t see any clock settings and also couldn’t change it. Only parameters I could view/change were interface name and routing. On the iLive systems I had internal clock selected for both consoles. I had some discussion with Audinate people, they suggested to uninstall and then reinstall Controller software, then suspend AVG as it is believed to disturb this programm – so far no success.

ddff

Profile photo of steve-s
    steve-s
    Participant

Hi ddff,

I see you are trying to link two mixracks together with Dante so that FOH and Monitor racks can share analogue inputs digitally.

Before you get involved with the Dante side of things you should pick one ilive mixrack to be the main rack (I would choose the rack with all the analogue inputs/mics connected from stage) and one to be the secondary rack. By default both racks will be set to sync to their internal clocks, which is correct in the main rack, but is now not correct in the secondary rack in your linked system. The second rack in your system is going to be receiving its audio across the Dante network, through the Dante card in it’s port B slot. This mixrack should have it’s clock sync source changed, to sync to “port B”.

The next step is to set up your network, and start Dante controller (and if you have patched inputs and got audio flowing you must have done this). Open the clock status tab in Dante Controller. There are not many options, but there should be two check boxes (Clock Role and Slave To External Word Clock) shown after both Dante devices in your system. Pick the Dante device installed in your main iLive rack, and tick both boxes, which will make it the master Dante device receiving it’s Word Clock from the main iLive rack. The second Dante card will automatically become a slave, and will automatically receive it’s clock from the master Dante device, therefore the check boxes on this card should be blank.

If you are having trouble with the devices and Dante controller talking to each other on your network, you could try checking that the DHCP settings on your router are enabled, and that your PC running Dante controller has it’s IP address set automatically by DCHP, as this helped me when I was unable to set channel subscriptions.

I hope this helps

Steve

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

if you have no clock setting on the dante device, so it means that it does not uploaded right in the dante network, so go to DEVICE(or command D)/ browse from the list your device /config/ then make changes that you need, then reload device.
    then device should appear with all parameters changeable:)

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I found out that running Controller software on different computer I got all the parameters available so I’ve set all clocks right (according to Dante user guide) and now everything works fine. I also found out if NIC adapter has static IP I get same picture- can rename interfaces and do patching, everyting else is blank. Still can’t figure out why it’s not working on other laptop even if all the settings are the same, except one has Windows 7, other XP.

ddff

Profile photo of steve-s
    steve-s
    Participant

I guess it was the XP system that worked?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

nope, XP was not working. Tried with and without AVG running and several times all components uninstall/install.
    Maybe because Bonjour is used i have to reconfigure something in DHCP node type or somewhere- Dante truobleshooting doesn’t have any hints.

ddff

Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

Are you joining your mixracks together with ACE, or Dante?

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Systems are joined via Dante. Typical FOH/ Monitor arrangement.

ddff

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hello All!
    Any updates on this issue as I face similar problems running Dante..?
    Installed in Port B (IDR32/T80), Dante is shown in the Port B window. While watching under “Expander” is shows a message in red saying “incompatible option card”. The firmware is 1.83. When set to recording with my MBP and Logic I get all the signals, but with random clicks over all track as ddff_lv described above. The Audio signal is avaliable on all desired tracks. Further, I can NOT see or change any setup details in the controller. Obviously the major reason for having the clicks.
    It simply does not show any status messages for clocking and so on…
    Whether the IP config is set to manual or not. Any help for an old analog guy? :-D

Thanks to everyone including A&H for the forum. It was helpful for several questions already.
    Mike

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Mike,

my solution was installing controller on different computer, then I was able to set one dante unit as preferred master and slave to ext wc (i.e. iLive system), the other would stay as slave, then in other mixrack you tell to sync from port B. Then connection between mixracks works fine, haven’t check for longer time to estimate stability, but so far found no problems. Controller software on the particular PC still cannot be used- tried to remove/install it in different ways- no luck. I think there are place for improvements here.

I’m still having huge problems with DVS and recording things and after 2 months and more than 10 different computers and different recording software I’m about to declare this process being incredibly unstable and unpredictable. I really think this DVS is a bottleneck in whole thing, maybe a piece of hardware (PCI-e, ExpressCard) would bring some improvements. Or even better- some HW recorder that accept Dante. So far there is just JoeCo, but it can record up to 32 channels. Another machine is AES50 recorder from Klark, however then a network bridge from Dante is necessary, then it turns out to be quite expensive. But as they say- you don’t get anything free…

ddff

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hello,
    thanks for the very quick response. This is, unfortunately, not the answer I was looking for. :-(
    The solution can not be a new installation on a different computer. Not for the product’s price tag. The basic set up seems to be correct as Audio can be transfered..it is just the controller part of the firmware which is difficult to get running smoothly.
    Does anyone use DANTE in combination with a MBP? Any similar experience?
    I want to record next week and I do not want to run my HD24 if I own Dante.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Mike I had a problem initially setting up Dante on a MBP. See here: https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1619&SearchTerms=Conmon

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hello Richard!
    This sounds quite the solution I’m looking for!
    I did not find your entry while a was looking for information. Sorry.
    This is quite tricky thing to figure out.. ;-)
    Thanks for your help!!

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.