M-Waves

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

“Allen & Heath Launches 64-Channel Waves SoundGrid Interface For iLive Series”

The card in the subject shows up on A&H audio modules site.

I checked soundgrid servers suggested by waves and couldn’t find anything specific with their network interfaces.

SoundGrid server software is only $70 according to waves website.
    The system promise ultra low latency, but couldn’t spot any real life numbers. I already know plugin latencies. A good number of them have 0 or 1ms latency.

Dante promised the same thing and we saw bottle neck being the network interface and ASIO latency.

I’m curious to know if there are people who had sound Grid experience with other manufacturers’ consoles.

My next question is why we cannot dedicate a hefty laptop with a latest intel i7 cpu to run soudngrid server software? It doesn’t say you cannot, nor you can. I guess this question should be asked to waves.

Any thoughts?

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    M-Dante.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Sounds pretty interesting – I wonder how long this one will take to come to market – I waited over a year for Dante, if this Waves card is as good as it looks it might be a viable alternative with the benefit of lower latency…

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Every digital processing has a latency.
    Waves does not say any numbers because the times are different on every system.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

way to expensive – i lives built in reverbs are good enough, anything better would be hardware (bricasti e.t.c.)as audionate announced their pcie card in winter (https://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=241) where they promise latency in “Round trip latency (including the audio application) as
    low as 2.99ms” one is probably better off building a dedicated machine for this solution.
    lets be “real” here what i want after all is a good multiband comp/dynamic eq (8 of em would do for me)and a better delay solution,as i mentioned in the suggestions thread
    BUT even before that: slim out the whole firmware for quicker booting(if possible)

ps i do have the waves bundle in my studio – but hardly use it anymore coz my build in daw fex are good enough,much blah short conclusion:a nice jpeg of a fairchild does not substitute a fairchild…..

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

‘lets be “real” here what i want after all is a good multiband comp/dynamic eq’ — me to, even one band of dynamic EQ would useful. Just give the De-esser full dynamic EQ functions :o).

Peter

Peter

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I just saw this myself. I’m interested but agree a nice computer with the Dante pcie card should be a great solution and probably quite a bit less than what it would cost for the waves version. It would also allow you to use plug ins other than just Waves. However if the waves server includes a nice bundle the price difference might not be as big. Unless like me you already have the Dante card and a Waves bundle. Either way looks like integrating daws and live sound is the way forward and I like it.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and Dante. ;)

Profile photo of Airton-Silva
    Airton-Silva
    Participant

What about the flexibility of Dante? Will this card allow to record everything like inserts, mixes…?

http://www.myspace.com/theknutz

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Any thoughts?

I can do this today with my MADI card or I would assume a Dante card. WAVES sells their MultiRack software stand alone, so I’m not sure what this card will give you that you can’t already do today.

https://www.waveslive.com/html/multirack.aspx

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Soon as audinate will release PCE-E card the WAVES Sound grid card will be useless!!!!! I am running right now Waves Multirack with Dante and have latency enough to work live! NO PROBLEM WITH LATENCY!!! Waves card uses same probably the same protocol or very similar as DANTE to deliver packet ed audio in network and they use 3-rd party servers as number crunchers it means that no dedicated hardware was made only coded packets! (you can do the same with DANTE!!!!) , main difference DANTE is open for everybody for multi purpose connections! no limits, digital splinters, recording options,audio processing and much more… WAVES just trying to make some extra money for limited options (dont forget this is Israeli company)
    DANTE is real replacement for analog connections.

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

We uploaded an understanding guide for the M-Waves card in its product page:

https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&ProductId=MWAVES&SubCatId=AudioNetworkingOptions

This should address some questions.

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

My next question is why we cannot dedicate a hefty laptop with a latest intel i7 cpu to run soudngrid server software? It doesn’t say you cannot, nor you can. I guess this question should be asked to waves.

As explained in the pdf, third-party computers can be used for processing, provided that the custom Linux SG Server software is installed. This can be purchased separately. Latency and overall performance depends on the system specs. A list of tested and recommended workstations is available on http://www.waveslive.com.

quote:

Originally posted by Robert

I am running right now Waves Multirack with Dante and have latency enough to work live! NO PROBLEM WITH LATENCY!!!

Dante transport latency can be set at very low values, but the DVS driver minimum latency is 4ms, which means a round-trip latency of 8 to 10ms when using plugins. This can be acceptable in some FOH applications, but it’s no use for monitor purposes or inserting dynamic processors. With SoundGrid Server One the roundtrip latency can be set at 40 samples (less than 1 ms).

quote:

Originally posted by Robert

Waves card uses same probably the same protocol or very similar as DANTE to deliver packet

Waves uses IPv6 and RAW Ethernet data, Dante uses higher layer, standard Internet Protocols.

quote:

Originally posted by jgrooms

WAVES sells their MultiRack software stand alone, so I’m not sure what this card will give you that you can’t already do today.

Some of the key features of SoundGrid compared to native Waves processing are:

– Reliability due to the dedicated Linux server (the control computer can be unplugged at any time without affecting the audio), redundant connections and optional redundant server.
    – Lower roundtrip latency thanks to a dedicated Linux environment and optimized network adapter driver.

quote:

Originally posted by Airton Silva

Will this card allow to record everything like inserts, mixes…?

The card can be used to record and playback up to 64 channels thanks to the SG Driver (ASIO and Core Audio). Routing options are the same as with all other Port B audio networking cards. Several signals can be routed to the card for processing and recording, including any bus or Mix Channel (pre or post fade), Input Direct Out,
    Wedge and IEM monitors, MixRack Inputs, and Input or Mix Insert Sends.

quote:

Originally posted by steffenromeiss

Waves does not say any numbers because the times are different on every system.

See above. Roundtrip latency is 40 samples with SG Server One. Latency for each plug-in is well specified in a chart on their website.

For those of you who are around London, the Waves card is up and running on our stand at the Plasa show.

Cheers,

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

L2 has 64 samples latency anyway + 40 samples latency of soungrid server what about that? Anyway i have MAXBCL and it has 225 samples latency from analog in to analog out, but it is approved tool for use in live applications…
    8-10 ms is about 3.5 meters and its ok for live FOH applications, for monitors use only iLIVE

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

quote:
    “For those of you who are around London, the Waves card is up and running on our stand at the Plasa show.”

availability and cost [?]

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

I guess no pricing/availability yet for M-Wave…
    Also Dante is not announcing anything about an express card for laptop use.
    What are they doing[?]

quote:

Originally posted by Düsenklang

quote:
    “For those of you who are around London, the Waves card is up and running on our stand at the Plasa show.”

availability and cost [?]

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    M-Dante.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

I guess no pricing/availability yet for M-Wave…
    Also Dante is not announcing anything about an express card for laptop use.
    What are they doing[?]

Why you should need a Dante Express Card? It’s network…
    Use the GBit Port in the Laptop…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

If I got it right, Dante Express card partially of fully replaces DVS and therefore latency is reduced. It could be similar to their PCIe card (specs in Audinate website).

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.