What software to record with via Dante?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions What software to record with via Dante?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Biggsounds Biggsounds 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

Hi guys, I’m curious what you Dante enabled ilive people use for your recording software.
    I don’t have the Dante card yet but it is really a matter of time before I do.
    Im not looking to spend a vast amount of cash and will be mixing back through the ilive most of the time so I could get away with something fairly basic.
    I’m using a MacBook pro dual core. I’ve been advised to use garage band for simplicity but I did not think you could record more than 8 tracks simultaneously. Is this true?
    How good is this system!! Love it.
    Jim

R72 & IDR32

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Hi Jim, I’m running Reaper which is just fantastic for tracking – all the stability of a big dollar DAW without some of the extraneous bells and whistles.. and it has some great features for live recording like simultaneous recording paths (for recording to 2 drives for redundancy), it updates the header file constantly so if you have a system crash you’ve got the recording intact up until that point (some programs still don’t save until you hit stop at the end of a take, and if your takes are 50 minutes long that’s a huge potential loss if it crashes during a set!), and it’s REALLY CHEAP!!!
    I’m currently mixing a project as you’re describing – tracked it into reaper and now I’m playing it back through the iLive for mixing & loving the results (I do little automation edits in Reaper for stuff like peaky single notes rather than compressing the hell out of the track at the mix stage – it’s very handy!) – I’ll post a link to something I’ve recorded and mixed that way so you can have an idea of how it works.
    Likewise – LOVING this system!

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

jimvoyager
    Participant

Thanks Adam, I Checked out the price. $60!
    Looks great, I heard you mention it before but assumed it was expensive.
    Jim

R72 & IDR32

Biggsounds
    Participant

It’s the best kept secret in the business ;)

PS here’s a link to the first track from a forthcoming promo DVD I’m putting together with a friend… tracked & mixed with Reaper & my iDR32
    https://vimeo.com/27651605

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hey thanks Adam, that’s really great! Not often us in R&D get to hear anything recorded using A&H gear. Nice!

– Jeff

Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks Jeff, I’ll post more as I can – some tunes from this release are yet to get publisher/label clearance but I’m hoping to have a DVD release sometime in October & a live album in February to support a national tour… nice project to start the Dante on ;)

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

recorded using A&H gear. Nice!

– Jeff

indeed, good band and good sounding recording Adam, …..

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I also use reaper for tracking. I’m more comfortable with pro tools for mixing, but I’m figuring my way around reaper. No doubt reaper is well worth it. Great program and constantly getting better.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and Dante. ;)

jimvoyager
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

It’s the best kept secret in the business ;)

PS here’s a link to the first track from a forthcoming promo DVD I’m putting together with a friend… tracked & mixed with Reaper & my iDR32

https://vimeo.com/27651605

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)

Very Nice recording Adam.
    You obviously care about your recordings a great deal.

Well done.

Regards Jim

R72 & IDR32

Biggsounds
    Participant

Cheers Jim, I’m lucky – I work for all the best promoters up here so I get all the nice shows ;)
    I’ve got Katie Noonan, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Tex Perkins & the Dark Horses, Mama Kin, Jeff Lang and a bunch of other great acts coming through from now til the end of the year, and I’ve just tracked a show with Glenn Richards (Augie March) last week, so the Dante card is certainly going to earn it’s keep!
    I’m loving this system, so clean yet beautifully musical to mix on – well done A&H and Audinate for such a great setup!

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.