CAT5 connectivity issues

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions CAT5 connectivity issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi All, With one particular band that I mix FOH for, we tour an R72 and iDR32 along with our own CAT5e reel. This makes our set up really quick and easy as we simply give the in-house guys a left and right output from our rack and we’re ready to go. We carry all our own mics and stands too. The whole band are on stereo IEMS so their world never changes and sound check times are kept to a minimum.

As you can imagine, this works really well on festivals where there are tight changeover times, and often only a line check.

Festival crews are wonderful people and most are obliging enough to let us have the use of a CAT5 run from stage to FOH or will even run it in especially for us. This makes things even easier for all concerned. On two occasions now though, we’ve had a failed connection with installed CAT5 (which was apparently working OK before) and had to place the mixer in the wings (we can work around this problem by mixing the show on iPad). Last weekend, three separate CAT5 cables failed to connect although our reel worked fine; is this a CAT5/CAT5e problem? I’ve always asked for ‘CAT5’, dropping the ‘e’ through sheer laziness I suppose, but is it really a critical point?

i gather that CAT5e can be connected as ‘crossover’ or ‘straight through’, could that be the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Ade

T112, R72
    iDR32, iDR48
    iStuff

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

I have used my ilive with 150metres of neutrik etherflex and not had a problem.

I have also used it with a cheap nasty 20metre network cable and had loads of problems.

It all comes down to the quality of the cable and connecters!

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by grahamwhite

I have used my ilive with 150metres of neutrik etherflex and not had a problem.

I have also used it with a cheap nasty 20metre network cable and had loads of problems.

It all comes down to the quality of the cable and connecters!

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

I’ll second Graham’s post…..the cable and the connectors do make a difference……that is probably why A&H has a suggested list for its recommended cables ………I have used my proplex 100 m. cable with no problems at all, but had loads of probs with much shorter regular network cables/ patch bays……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.