Dante and Dual Rack

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante and Dual Rack

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 01soundman 01soundman 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 01soundman
    01soundman
    Participant

I need help on how to best use our Dante card for recording with the following system:
    – 144 surface
    – iDR-32 master
    – iDR10 slave (64 inputs, 8 outputs)
    All 3 connected via ACE.

Our initial plan was to install the Dante card in the iDR10, sending audio via CAT5 directly (point-to-point) to our iMAC recording computer. But based on my limited knowledge of Dante and the iLive system architecture, I now believe that will only allow us to record the 64 channels connected to the iDR10. I also believe that should we want to record channels from the iDR-32, we’ll need a second Dante card and then connect all the audio-specific CAT5 to a switch/router.

Am I missing something? Am I wrong? (Sure hope so!) Can we successfully map audio from the iDR-32 to the Dante card in the iDR10? Should the Dante card instead be installed in the iDR-32 or the surface?

Any and all comments/suggestions/whatever appreciated.

Ray

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Ray

I suggest you fit your Dante card to Prt B of your slave rack (iDR10) you can forward audio from your master mixrack (idr32) to the dante card via the ACE portB link.

To do this:
    Go to the ‘Outputs’ page of your master mixrack and select the ‘portB (ACE)’ tab – choose the audio you wish to send to the Dante card an assign them to the PortB outputs.
    Next: open the drop down menu at the top of the screen and select your slave rack (idr10)select the Port B tab (Dante) in the source select drop down you can now select inputs from the slave rack (iDR10) and PortA (ACE) = the portA ACE channels will have the audio you sent from the master mixrack Port B.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

01soundman
    Participant

I’m hoping to work on this early next week. Will take a copy of your reply with me. THANKS!!

One more question: I’ve been holding off on updating the firmware to 1.82 (currently on 1.81). Is there a preferred sequence to do this in? Firmware first? Dante first?

01soundman
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stealth

Hi Ray

I suggest you fit your Dante card to Prt B of your slave rack (iDR10) you can forward audio from your master mixrack (idr32) to the dante card via the ACE portB link.

To do this:
    Go to the ‘Outputs’ page of your master mixrack and select the ‘portB (ACE)’ tab – choose the audio you wish to send to the Dante card an assign them to the PortB outputs.
    Next: open the drop down menu at the top of the screen and select your slave rack (idr32)select the Port B tab (Dante) in the source select drop down you can now select inputs from the slave rack (iDR32) and PortA (ACE) = the portA ACE channels will have the audio you sent from the master mixrack Port B.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Also… Just to be sure… Is there a typo in the last part above? Did you mean “iDR10“? If true, this may then make sense.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Soundman

Yes well spotted i did mean iDR10, i have now changed my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards
    Sam A&H

01soundman
    Participant

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. Things are working great!

Thanks for the help.
    Ray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.