dante and mac

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of djspl djspl 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CHRISN
    CHRISN
    Participant

i noticed a lot of you dante guys are PC!!!! is anyone running a MAC dante setup ??

if so what DAW’s are you using?

just wondering because i almost got a dante card ….. then got the horrible news that is wasn’t arriving to september…[V[V]

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Yes I’m using a Mac – running Logic 9 on a MacBookPro 17″ and all is good. Had an initial problem getting it set up with Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante controller which required a reinstall in the correct order ( details in a previous post).

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of rreuscher
    rreuscher
    Participant

Hi I’m using also a MAC – running Cubase on MacBookPro 17″. Everything works like it should. Had the same initial problems like Stix mentioned. Did already several 24 and up tracks recordings without any problems.

Rene Reuscher
    Professional Audio Services
    IDR48/T112/Mixpad, Tweak,
    M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Cubase

Nothing is completly true, and even that’s not true.

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Dante mac user here. I’ve recorded the last two weekends church services. Running reaper on a 2.4 ghz c2d Mac mini. So far so good. However I did notice some clicks and pops in the audio towards the end of one service. Nothing I can’t fix and it was mainly the last 10-20 mins of a 70 min service. It may be because I’m still not 100% clear on how the clocks should be set up. Right now I have the ilive clocking internally and the Dante set up to get word clock from the ilive. And the Dante card as the master clock in the Dante network. Does that sound right?

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and trying to patiently wait on Dante. ;)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Make sure the Dante card in the ilive is set to “sync to external clock” in the Dante controller.

Wouter

Profile photo of djspl
    djspl
    Participant

Can somebody point out the previous post with the correct software install order?

My Mac assigns an IP address (according to the DVS), I can see my IDR 16 as a receiver and transmitter in the controller, but that’s all I get. I see only a device name under the “device status” and “clocking status” tabs, no other information. I can’t check anything, I can’t change anything. The event log shows all attempts to do anything as unsuccessful due to lack of communication.

Thanks.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff
    Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

@djspl

if you’re on PC… didn’t forget to install Bonjour?
    https://support.apple.com/kb/dl999

Profile photo of djspl
    djspl
    Participant

woutert, I’m on Mac.

ahjeff, that was the solution to my original problem, thanks for the link. I now see device status and clock status.

How many devices am I supposed to see? I only see the same device (I’ve labeled it mixrack) under transmitters and receivers, DC won’t let me connect the device to itself. I can’t make any green checkmarks.

Am I supposed to see my Mac computer that is connected to the MDante card (w/ DVS installed and showing it’s connected @ 1Gb/48KHz/10ms) in the DC device list along with the Mixrack?

IDR 16 set to internal clock.
    IDR 16 (named “mixrack”) set to preferred and master in the DC.
    Under the port B outputs tab I have 1-16 assigned to Mixrack Inputs A1-B8
    DVS is listing the the Mac’s IP address (169.254.71.50) and MAC address and displaying 1G
    OSX version is updated Snow Leopard running on a MacBook Pro 13″
    There is no mention of anything Dante in the Mac’s available audio hardware list.

Under Device Status in the DC, the only device “mixrack” shows a primary IP address of 169.254.165.207, however my mixrack’s IP is 192.168.1.5. I bring this up because in the MDante webinar Youtube videos the mixrack they are using is showing a 192.168.1.X address in their DC software.

Everything looks OK, except it seems like the computer should be listed as a device so I have something to patch to.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    djspl

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

If you turn off your mac’s wifi, go to MBP network settings and manually set it to 192.168.1.X then you should be in the same address range.
    Then run the Dante Virtual Soundcard software first – set your number of in/out channels, set sample rate to 48kHz and turn it on. Once you have done that you then run Dante controller and you should see both devices appear (mixrack and computer). You can then patch your connections. It is normal that you can’t patch a device to itself in Dante.

Hope that gets you going.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of djspl
    djspl
    Participant

Now the computer has IP 192.168.1.9, the DVS is connected and now listing that IP, but the mixrack is still IP 169.254.XXX in the DC and there is still no computer device listed under transmitters and receivers.

I’m going to try one more time tonight, then I’ll switch to a windows PC.

thanks.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Am I supposed to see my Mac computer that is connected to the MDante card (w/ DVS installed and showing it’s connected @ 1Gb/48KHz/10ms) in the DC device list along with the Mixrack?

Yes – The address’s you have should work – changing the MBP to 169.168.1.X is just if you also want to connect to the Mixrack with Editor on the same network via your router.

Can you confirm that if you open DVS with the mixrack MDante Card Primary link connected to the MBP’s ethernet that you see the N/C change to two green leds with 1G showing?

If so then Im all out of ideas other than perhaps reinstalling DC & DVS again.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I and several others on here have had success with the uninstall/reinstall option – from memory the second time I installed DVS first then the controller, but I’m not 100% on that…

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of djspl
    djspl
    Participant

If I unplug the ethernet cable from the computer and plug it back in again, the DVS displays a lost connection and a re-connection @ 1G. The l.e.d.s on the Mdante card are flashing green, I’m using the primary port.

Why can’t I see the DVS as a device in the DC list of transmitter and receivers? grrrrr.

I have to put this project away for 5 days. I’ll report back if I find a solution.

Thanks,

djspl

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.