Android

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Hi!
    Sorry if its a double post – can remember that it was asked once – but cant remember if an answer was given from A&H?

So is it planned to release an Software for Android Tablets or Phones as well or will A&H stay with Apple?

I just ask cause if so i have to look out for an ipad. (but to be honest – i dont want to… )

Thanks
    Albin

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Albin, I mentioned this the last time the Android tablet thing was brought up – the biggest issue I see from a developer perspective is the enormous variety of models/sizes/specs and capabilities available with the Android system tablets… it’s barely stable running on the iPad (as attested to by the numerous threads here with people trying to get it working at optimum capability) with only 2 versions to consider (with basically the same spec all bar the upgraded processor)… I’d be assuming that either A&H will have to really streamline their coding to give a bit more headroom with the app, or Android will need to stabilise somewhat before it becomes a viable option (from what I can gather every version that comes out applies differently to different manufacturers tablets).
    Honestly? Even if you don’t use the iPad for anything but MixPad it’s still worth it.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I understand your point – but it seems that you are more into Apple then Android, cause else you know that the developer of an app can specify the needs of hardware so if that don`t matches you cannot install it.
    So, i think specify an 1GHZ Processor, 256MB RAM and an 10″ Display along with Android 2.33 or 3 should bring it down to the better tablets.
    And i can tell that Android runs really well now – so this could not be the point. I own an Android Phone for over a year now and with Android 2.21 every stability issues were gone.

But it would be good to hear from A&H if there are any plans on that…

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m not so much in to Apple – I only bought an iPad because of this app, but honestly I’d be more interested in seeing them work out some of the bugs in the current one (particularly the memory issue) before moving on to other platforms… if they end up doing something for Android you’d think it would be easier if they had this one really streamlined first.

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I hope for an Android Version as well. I think it’s not that difficult to support Android, the API is well documented. The distribution channel is the main question.
    Let’s wait till fall, hope the whole market thing is getting better…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Talked to one of the A&H Guys about that yesterday (lucky i got his emailadress in Frankfurt) and he told me that its not on their current plan.
    But they are monitoring it – so if more people will request it maybe they put it on the to do list…

Biggsounds – do you have the IPad2 or the IPad1? Do you know if the problems still remains on the IPad2 – cause i am thinking of buying one for the MixRack software.

Biggsounds
    Participant

As I understand it the iPad2 is better as far as the memory issue goes, I have v1. It’s totally worth it though, if you set it up right you rarely have issues, and at worst you have to reconnect (much faster than editor!). I use it 90% of the time to run shows, and usually just refer back to Editor for stuff like changing FX settings & scene changes.

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

SteffenR
    Participant

Nothing is worth to reissue my Apple nightmares…but still not shure if the Android is the alternative
    I’m really happy with my R-72.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Could you tell me how long the MixRack App needs to start up?

Cause thats my thought – for example on soundcheck i like to walk on the stage and check the monitors with my own ears – and it would be nice to have something that comes up quicker then the editor on my notebook.

Biggsounds
    Participant

Maybe 15-20 seconds from start? That includes access via password (I have a user profile with limited priviledges which I have left password free just for use with the iPad app… low risk as I’ve got everything MAC filtered).

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of CHRISN
    CHRISN
    Participant

i use an ipad 2 and had no memory issues yet !!!!! not to mention i have smart tools running also and maybe a session of angry birds ;) I usually run FOH from the mix pad app during the performance but like to have a laptop during soundcheck. I love how you can EQ wedges perfect by yourself …..even if you hate apple its a great tool especially if you do a lot of engineering by yourself …….. you don’t have to do that sprint to the console !!!!

if your so anti i pad why not just get a touch screen pc laptop with a stylus and run editor wifi
    you would actually have more control then the mix pad app too …..

plus i would rather they focus on releasing a kick ass second version then spending money to develop an android app [8D]

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I HAVE an Laptop (Lenovo X200 Tablet) – but its the start up time of the Notebook and then the Editor is about 5 Minutes or so – i am looking on an faster and easier way to do so and it seems like thats the thing i am looking for.
    Not happy that i have to go for an IPad, but it seems like thats the only option.

SteffenR
    Participant

Start up times about 5 min? that’s to much. There is something wrong with your setup.
    It shouldn’t take longer than one and a half min with slow wifi.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Biggsounds
    Participant

I think albin means startup including the boot time for his notebook?
    Anyway, the other MAJOR benefit for using the iPad over a notebook for this particular role is the weight difference – once you’ve walked around a stage adjusting head amp gains & setting 8 monitor mixes you’re acutely aware of just how much your laptop weighs ;) – not so with the iPad

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Yes, i mean 5 minutes including the start up time of my notebook…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.