Master clip

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tuejo Tuejo 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vardges-Sayadyan
    Vardges-Sayadyan
    Participant

Hi
    Dear A&H engineers can you explain me why I have a clip on my output Master,when input channels driven without cliping???

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Because you doing something wrong????

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Against each bank select button there is a red peak light, when your clipping the output check these and see where the clipping is occuring.

http://www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Could it just be you are adding 20 (or whatever number) of channels together on the bus and overloading it, just the same that happens in analogue? Try pulling all the inputs down by 3dB and see if it goes away.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Or check to see if you have used excessive make up gain on your bus compression somewhere along the chain…

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

I get it too sometimes. Mostly on the ears for my drummer where the kick is up 6 db with a hot gain.

It happens because the Ilive runs a fixed point (24 – I think) bit structure. When you run out of bits it overloads. If you pull down your entire mix it goes away.

32 bit floating point (digico) does not overload as it uses 8 bit to define zero for the next 24 bits. This is one of the very few drawbacks of the Ilive design. A&H have chosen the fixed point DSP farms for their accuracy and features with they have valued higher then this relatively small issue (as I understand it)

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Vardges Sayadyan

are you sure you have not just got the overall mix to hot like Mr B has suggested? also as biggsounds suggests about Compressor Makeup gain?.

If you think there is definately a fault with the system please contact your local distributor or A&H technical support who will be able to help resolve your issue.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Tuejo,

I think you’re referring to DSP mathematics method. When you apply too much gain at input or output you might run out of headroom in converters. And iLive as well as DigiCo has 24-bit converters.

ddff

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

@ddff Not at all. If you take down your master you do not clip the converters. This is a talk about clipping the master bus. That you can do in fixed point but not in 32 bit floating point

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Right, this is DSP related in that situation. Haven’t got that high levels so far.
    By the way – is clip indicator showing clip of DSP or converter?

ddff

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Both – if you get clip before all the leds light up its your bus. If you get clip with all the leds lit its your output – here your master fader will probably be in + 5-10 db.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.