setting up an Airport Express

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions setting up an Airport Express

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jimvoyager jimvoyager 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theWhiplash
    theWhiplash
    Participant

did some searching for this topic but nothing really answered my questions…
    I’m not so knowledgable about IP-DHCP-submask-etc…
    I spent about 3 hours today trying to get my Airport X to work with my iDR32/T80 system but got absolutely nowhere. Made a couple calls to people telling me to change this and change that, blah blah…
    I was trying to set the IP through the Airport Utility but it still kept showing the router as 192.168.1.1 which obviously doesn’t work. I couldn’t figure out where to change this.
    Also does anything need to be configured or changed on the surface within the Utility pages/IPs?
    Its obviously working for a lot of you guys, so any help on configuration would be great. thanks

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM
    iLive T80/IDR32

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by theWhiplash

did some searching for this topic but nothing really answered my questions…
    I’m not so knowledgable about IP-DHCP-submask-etc…
    I spent about 3 hours today trying to get my Airport X to work with my iDR32/T80 system but got absolutely nowhere. Made a couple calls to people telling me to change this and change that, blah blah…
    I was trying to set the IP through the Airport Utility but it still kept showing the router as 192.168.1.1 which obviously doesn’t work. I couldn’t figure out where to change this.
    Also does anything need to be configured or changed on the surface within the Utility pages/IPs?
    Its obviously working for a lot of you guys, so any help on configuration would be great. thanks

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM
    iLive T80/IDR32

Blue skies a little cloudy today? ;} Subnet settings should be 255.255.255.0 You probably know this but iLive uses 191.168.1.1 , 191.168.1.2 , 191.168.1.3 for the rack, surface and touchscreen so those can’t be used for router, computer, iPad etc.(Just covering the bases here.) As to the router issues several I’ve used recommend using a wired connection when configuring the router. What can happen when you change the router address is that the computer is trying to see the router on the previous address. Maybe this is causing some of your problems. The ip address has to be released and then renewed. Windows based computers have the repair connection function that does this. When using DHCP to automatically assign addresses to computers the router will have a way of setting a reserved block of addresses, say starting at 192.168.1.100 so you don’t end up with the computer conflicting with one of the iLive’s addresses. Maybe this will give you some things to try and hopefully someone will come along that uses an Airport X and can step you through it.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad soon I hope.

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Hi theWhiplash,

We tested several routers and access points and published a list here:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive_Router_Compatibility_Version_1.pdf
    Unfortunately in our experience the Apple Airport Extreme didn’t have quite the same overall performance as the others we tested. But none the less, it’s probably worth trying out and seeing if it’ll work well enough for what you require.

To setup the Airport you’ll need to use the Airport Utility. On Windows you’ll need to download this (using the installation CD provided with the Airport). On Mac you’ll find it under Applications -> Utility.

Once the Airport Utility is opened, select ‘Manual setup’. Then select the internet tab at the top. Under this section you’ll see ‘DHCP’, click on that.

Unfortunately one of the difficulties you might have been having with setting up the IP address of the router is that you can’t. As far as I am aware, Apple does not permit users to completely change the IP address of their router. They only give you the following options: 192.168.x.1, 172.16.x.1 & 10.0.x.1). The ‘x’ being the only variable you can change.

So I’d recommend setting the router to 192.168.1.1 without it being connected to the iLive. To do this, the settings on the Airport page should look as like:
    DHCP Beginning Address: 192.168 . 1 . 100
    DHCP Ending Address: 192.168.1.200
    DHCP Lease: 1 day
    (So although Apple don’t specifically tell you the routers IP will be set to 192.168.1.1, we just know it will because of how you setup the DHCP beginning address).

Then you must change the IP address of the iLive MixRack to avoid conflict. So when the iLive surface and mix rack have been switch on, go to Utility -> Networking -> Network setup. Tap the Mix Rack IP address box, and change the last number to something else (for example 192.168.1.4). Or if you are using Editor please see Setup -> Network Setup. Please note you will only be able to connect the Airport to the iLive after you have changed the MixRack IP address. You will have to make this change to any other iLives you need to use the AirPort with. Which is why our documentation always points towards users changing their router/AP address. But I don’t believe you can with Apple’s Airport Extreme.

Once you’ve changed the MixRack IP address, you can plug a RJ45 Cat5 cable from the Airport into your MixRack. Then connect to the airport wireless, and open Editor.

You should see your Mix Rack/Surface name appear now in Editor. And press connect. If you don’t, we recommend you disable all other network adaptors (wired, bluetooth etc).

I hope this helps,

AndyH

Profile photo of AndyH
    AndyH

Just one more thing to add …

For best performance on the Apple Aiport Extreme; we recommend users set Multicast to high. To do this open the Apple Airport Utility, select your airport device, select manual setup, select the airport button, select the wireless tab, select the wireless option button, set Multicast to High.

theWhiplash
    Participant

hey guys thanks for jumping in–sraymond, sadly the guys don’t play that song…but that was a great lead in to your post!

bad thing is nothing is making it work…I did everything above–correctly–I think. Just doesn’t seem like it should be this tough to get it going. Anyways, i won’t have a chance to mess with it for a while again, so in the mean time I am going to buy a regular router I suppose so I don’t have to jack around with all this goofy settings and such. again–appreciate your help!

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM
    iLive T80/IDR32

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Hey there.
    This may sound a bit obvious but I missed it the first time so I’ll share:
    Make sure you are connecting the wan port of the airport (has a different symbol than the other four) to the ilive.
    This made the difference for me. Connecting to a regular switch port alone seems to disable the dhcp functionality.

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of Geep
    Geep
    Participant

You can certainly change the IP address on the router. Use the Apple Airport Utility, selected the router you want to configure, click on manual configuration, then, at the top of the box, there is a button labelled “internet.” Click on that one and you should be on a screen that will let you enter whatever IP you want to use. Mine at home is set up for 192.168.1.30, configured using this method.

geep

Geep

Profile photo of Geep
    Geep
    Participant

BTW these instructions are for an airport extreme router, I do not have an express and it’s possible that you can’t change it with that one. You can with the extreme.

Geep

theWhiplash
    Participant

Geep it is an Express. Scruffyd the Express only has 1 output on it…so I know I’m not messing that up!
    I’ve used it for internet access and such, just doesn’t want to work with ilive for me. I’m sure its probably one little thing I am over-looking or not setting just right.
    Once I think I have it set correctly, when I open Editor should I see my system right away? The manual mentions it takes a minute or two…is that in regards to actually operating anything or actually seeing it upon opening Editor?

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM
    iLive T80/IDR32

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Hey Matthew
    I’m using an express with no issues. I’ll send you my config file if you like.

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of jimvoyager
    jimvoyager
    Participant

It works fine for me too…. For about a year now.

R72 & IDR32

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.