Minijacks and DI’s begone!

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Minijacks and DI’s begone!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Something wonderful just occurred to me that I will try out at the first opportunity. But perhaps someone here has tested it already.

If anyone here is used to corporate events, then you will be familiar with situations where the client needs audio output from x number of laptops situated both on stage and near FOH. Often connected to a VGA cable at the same time. If its a mac the VGA/minijack combo is almost a hum guarantee. So each laptop equals two transformer isolated DI boxes, two XLR cables, and ,more often than not, an unreliable minijack to phono/tsr/xlr cable.

Well, with a Dante card installed one coud simply install DVS (7day version) on each laptop and all you would need is a gigabit switch and some network cables. Two channels of audio coming from each laptop over Dante is negligable.

Has anyone tried this? It sounds too good to be true [:p]

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Aiport express

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

USB DI with generic interface, such as those sold by ARX, is a much simpler solution!

We use them all the time on Windows and Mac laptops here for situations like yours and not had a problem yet. Transformer/DI functionality built-in, and sounds a lot cleaner too. We either use a Y-split cable to join L&R outputs into one mono XLR run, or just a pair of XLR out to the IDR. 2-way multicore cables are out there too, which might keep things neater.

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

I would not won’t to install something on someones corporate laptop. Way to risky if it crashes.[:I]
    The usb I/O is the best solution. No need to install a usb driver also.

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Agreed, and the limitations on DVC in terms of what will travel down the line are too restrictive (I haven’t had any luck with Windows Media Player or iTunes), the ARX boxes are a great bit of kit, but for even less money the ART USB dual pre works a treat too!

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

scruffyd
    Participant

Ah, I reach too far. My goal is to have IDR stageside and run everything between stage and FOH over Cat cable. Hence the desire to eliminate any regular audio connections on the FOH side. I have no analog IO on that side and would love to keep it that way. Otherwise the Arx would indeed be a great solution.

Lieven you have a point about installing on someone elses laptop, although most of the laptops tend to be macbook pros from the event company I work for.

Biggsounds, I am saddened to hear that windows system audio is not playing well with DVS, any experience with systemaudio on mac?

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Aiport express

Biggsounds
    Participant

Sorry I’m not a Mac person so I can’t comment on media players – one compromise may be a stereo USB interface as mentioned above on both the client PC & yours, run out of one into the other, THEN tunnel the audio down DVC (and an appropriate ASIO compatible program) to your iDR rack… convoluted I know, but probably still cleaner than the old way!

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

scruffyd
    Participant

That sounds a lot cleaner yes! Thanks for your input people. This is a great place to be!

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of tcacfoh
    tcacfoh
    Participant

What brand/model of USB i/o (DI)are you using?

T112/iDR48

The Church At Covington Front Of House

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’ve found the ART USB dual pre to be quite good (and plug and play so no hassles to use with other people’s computers!).

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Ah dear old Radial engineering for me on that score, if all else fails you can use the Di box to beat the client into submission as they are made from old Panzer Tanks I feel sure.[}:)]

Mr B.

Biggsounds
    Participant

Radial is best for sure, but expensive here!

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Sadly Biggsounds, Radial seem to be expensive everywhere which is a shame, still I guess you get what you pay for and I have not managed to break one yet.[:D]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.