Surface input configuration

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Surface input configuration

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lawbass61 lawbass61 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Ok, I have read thru the manual and cannot for the life of me figure out how to re-assign the input configuration on the surface. We have 16 inputs on the surface (8 1/4, 1 pair RCA, 1 pair Spdif). The Idr48 has 48 inputs, and those are assigned, logically enough, as input channels 1-48 by default. However, the remaining 16 input channels on my surface (T112) are NOT by default set up as the remaining 16 channels 49-64. Instead, some of them repeat. For instance, if I assign input channel strips on Bank 1 and 2, Layer D to be input channels 39-64 so I can easily see them, here is what shows up as socket ID:
    49-S A1, 50-S A2, 51-S A3, 52-S A4. So far so good. But then those same assignments repeat on 53-56, instead of A5-8. Then I get the C input assignments C1-C4. Then, on 61-64, I get C7, C8, C7, C8. I therefore am not finding surface inputs A5-8 anywhere, and likewise am missing surface inputs C5-6. I know I am missing something logical, but I am lost. Any help will be appreciated.

Jon

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Jonathan –

SELECT the channel strip you want to use, then on the TOUCHSCREEN, touch PREAMP and that box will have a “source select” box on the top left. Touch that box and select “surface” on the drop-down and then name the input(s) you wish to use. Hopefully this is what you are inquiring about… (p. 33 on manual)

-Tim Tyler

lawbass61
    Participant

Brilliant. Thanks Tim.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

lawbass61
    Participant

Well, it works, but if I switch layers they keep switching back. I will keep at it. Seems the surface input configuration is a bit odd to me even when I loaded the default.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lawbass61

Well, it works, but if I switch layers they keep switching back.

What you mean with that…
    Don’t forget to apply the changes…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

lawbass61
    Participant

I mean I set up my surface inputs A1-8 to appear on channel strips 49-56 one at a time on a layer, hitting apply each time. I then set up surface inputs C1-8 on another layer to appear on channel strips 57-64 one at a time, likewise hitting apply each time. However, when I switch back to the first layer, those changes do not appear to have been kept.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It works as expected here…
    to wich inputs does it change after the prozedure?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Perhaps the surface strips in different layers are using the same DSP channels? I notice you use the terms “channel strips 57 – 64” As surface channel strips can be in any location and have any input source you need to work/think from the DSP (processing) channel number instead. The DSP channel is listed in the top of each preamp screen or you can view it globally accross the surface using the ALT View surface button (Go to surface setup/preferences?/Alt View tab first and set Alt View to DSP channel). Also – make sure you exit from any of the setup windows (Surface setup/Mixrack set up/ Name and Colour)when working normally as these are special set up windows that change displayed strip information

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

lawbass61
    Participant

Stix, I think you may have nailed it. I spend a while last night going one at a time, then both applying the change and also saving it as a show. Once I finished, and updated the show for the last time, it all stayed how I wanted it, and it is saved as my “default” show. Thanks all.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.