Compressor type/profile specifics

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Compressor type/profile specifics

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 01soundman
    01soundman
    Participant

Is there somewhere that details parameter specifics on the ‘auto’ profiles? (Vocal, Speech, Punch Bag, etc.)

I like using them but would like to tweak them a bit for our specific use.

I’ve tried loading them and then switching to manual but the settings revert to where they were last in a manual mode. (Working as designed)

Thanks,
    Ray

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

+1… That’d be really helpful for me too, please?

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

Please see the following post by robc (the compressor algorithm designer) regarding the auto modes. The short version is that the auto modes are more complicated than simply setting some predefined balistics, so there is no sensible mapping back to ‘normal’ attack/release.

https://www.allen-heath.com/iliveforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1020#998

Hope this helps.

Cheers

– Jeff

01soundman
    Participant

Very informative thread. And thanks to RobC for his narrative.

I appreciate that there’s more to the ‘auto’ mode than attack/release, but I still would like some ability to adjust those. The idea of a ‘clean/vintage’ comp is also appealing…

My primary focus at the moment is managing a vocalist that tends to “blow past” the “Vocal” [Auto] profile’s ability to attack quickly enough, resulting in “blasting” of first notes, etc.

Looks like I need to get good at the manual mode…

Profile photo of theWhiplash
    theWhiplash
    Participant

I have been having the same issues getting the “Auto”–Vocal’ to work like I want…same big first word kind of thing. I have been basically going as manual as the comp allows to get what I want. Wouldn’t say its perfect, but I am finding I am making less adjustments now.

Would love to get a “vintage” comp as well.

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM
    iLive T80/IDR32

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

Hi
    As mentioned the auto modes are more complex than just adjusting the attack and release settings.
    The compressor types involve smoothing algorithms and detector type (rms or peak) plus other tricks in modelling certain compressors.

you can use ‘manual peak’ or ‘manual rms’ and set the attack and release manually. Then store these as library compressors, then you have a presets for instant access.

As for using purely an auto mode –
    ‘Vocal’ does minimise distortion over attack. For a fast compressor with acceptable distortion I would try 16T.

If the application is to catch the occasional ‘first note’ the limiter is handy, it isnt that aggressive sounding. You can also set the compressor for milder stuff, eg vocal or slow opto.

keep us posted on feedback,

robc

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I’ve noticed the same problem with the Vocal setting being to slow to catch the explosive transients that some vocalists have. Gonna try the 16T mode out. Assume this is modeled on the classic DBX 160 but your not allowed to say that right?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I made the decision to go back to manual since I really did not like what the vocal preset did to sound of our vocalists. I am happier because its cleaner now. I would really be excited though if you made a deal with CranSong Those trakkers are heavy. :P

112T/IDR48/IDR16

01soundman
    Participant

I’m planning on experimenting with the 16T mode but wondered what “16T” stands for….

Educate me please. [:)]

Dual rack iLive system:
    144 surface,
    iDR32 master,
    iDR10 slave (64 inputs, 8 outputs)

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by 01soundman

I’m planning on experimenting with the 16T mode but wondered what “16T” stands for….

I guess “dbx 160”

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Get it? One-six-tee? Cute

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

I’ve noticed the same problem with the Vocal setting being to slow to catch the explosive transients that some vocalists have. Gonna try the 16T mode out. Assume this is modeled on the classic DBX 160 but your not allowed to say that right?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

I always have at least one VOX group with a fast attack/release compressor acting as a soft limiter for those explosive singers. Vocal mode compressor works fine when combined with a groups that has another compressor. Double compressing is widely popular as far as I can tell from my readings. But I agree with vocal mode being a little slow to catch some of those transients. [8)]

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    Where is my DANTE?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I’m still hope that Rob will explain more on the compressors he designed. Maybe with some extra insights on the other processors in the system as well.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.