PAFL Source

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CareyD CareyD 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of intrepidpursuit
    intrepidpursuit
    Participant

Hello all,

I am new to the iLive platform but am so far very satisfied with it.

I am using one as a monitor console temporarily and have a local monitor in the form of a floor wedge. The default source for this monitor if nothing is selected is the Main LR buss. This is really annoying since the LR is an in-ear mix. I cannot find any way to change this source or just unassign it so that it is quiet unless I have a PAFL button selected.

If anyone else has encountered this and found a solution, or if this has been addressed before, please let me know.

Thanks.

Joseph White

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

I am going from memory here.

If you press the PAFL button under the screen, this should open the PAFL screen. On the lower right half of that scteen is a box with either 4 or 6 dials depending on set-up. Select those and turn them all the way to the left, and that should remove the mains from feeding the PAFL bus when there is nothing seleted.

If my memory has failed me here, I hope someone will correct me.

Sorry, I just checked on the surface it is actually boxes with the value, in editor it has the dials.

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi Joseph, KB is right. You can turn off the main LR mix feeding the monitor when no PAFL is selected.

iLive does offer several other features for working with monitors. I will mention a few here.

First, you say you are using LR for an in-ear mix. You can use stereo Auxes for in-ears. The iLive can be reconfigured to change its bus architecture, for example to reduce the number of Groups or Matrix to increase the number of mono and stereo Auxes. If you are starting from scratch you could load the ‘MON_8m6st’ Template show which configures the iLive as a dedicated monitor console with 8 wedge/sidefill, 6 stereo in-ear and dedicated dual output engineers Wedge and IEM monitors.

On a monitor mixer you would typically set the Aux mixes to be post all channel processing, though you could mix and match, for example set wedge mixes post-EQ pre-compressor, and in-ear mixes post compressor. That is done using the ROUTING screen with an Aux master SEL selected.

You would usually set all channel faders to the nominal ‘0’ unity position and run all Aux mixes post-fade. That means you can use channel faders as ‘masters’ for each source.

The PAFL system can be configured to give you both a Wedge monitor and an IEM monitor on fader strips. These can be assigned to XLR outputs. They can also be configured with their own processing, for example to check the effect of a GEQ adjustment in your wedge before making it live.

The PAFL monitor can be operated in ‘Dual mode’ where you get separate feed to your engineers wedge and in-ear monitors. This is assigned using the MIX keys on the Wedge and IEM master strips. The way it works is to mute the output you don’t want when you press a master mix PAFL, for example to mute your wedge monitor when you PAFL an in-ear mix.

The PAFL screen KB mentioned also gives you several other options for using the PAFL screen. You can link the SEL and/or MIX key to the PAFL key which can make mixing with monitors very quick. For example, press an wedge master PAFL key to hear its mix in your listen wedge, automatically select its processing and show its mix on the faders.

Once you have set up the iLive the way you want you can archive the settings as a User Show to recall again in the future.

You may of course be aware of much of this already, but please let me know if you want any more info or tips on using iLive as a monitor system.
    All the best,
    Carey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.