wishful thinking / board idea

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions wishful thinking / board idea

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hello device team,
    how bout a “amateur” board for the 144 (all the module models),
    with stupid inputs-such as
    mini jack,a pair of jacks,a pair of chinch,
    adressable as in or outs.

i would buy one (one day i`ll rule the world and every plug will be xlr[;)])

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

hello device team,
    how bout a “amateur” board for the 144 (all the module models),
    with stupid inputs-such as
    mini jack,a pair of jacks,a pair of chinch,
    adressable as in or outs.

i would buy one (one day i`ll rule the world and every plug will be xlr[;)])

cheers
    dave

I once submitted the following question to A&H about the very opposite, i.e the absence of xlr on T-80 and R72…..

here is what they replied:

Thank you for your inquiry and further to your questions:

>I am having trouble reasoning the absence of xlr on the R-72 surface as opposed to “consumer” rca/spdif and/ or trs…what is the logic here????

TRS socket types are used for the balanced analogue I/O connections on the rear of the T-series surfaces for a number of reasons:

These sockets take up less physical space on both internal assemblies, as well as the rear surface area of the chassis – this is particularly important for the more compact T-Series surfaces, such as T80 and R72.

It’s perceived that the I/O on the surface itself will, for the majority of applications, be used for connecting external devices most commonly associated with FOH, or monitor, engineer requirements – such as, 2-track source inputs and/or dynamics hardware

– In these cases the connectors would not be considered as “consumer” type sockets, rather than the correct type for the application:

For line level connections for line level equipment (such as CD players etc), no additional gain stage is required, as would be the case if XLR connectors were employed; this maintains the A&H design principles of minimizing the signal path wherever possible.

Where external hardware devices are used by the engineer at the mix position, TRS connectors will often be more convenient; insert leads are now becoming more commonly available with 1/4″ Jack (TRS) terminations – and connectors on processors themselves are also more and more commonly found with TRS sockets fitted.

And, because ALL the analogue I/O sockets on the T-Series MixRacks (iDR-16/32/48/64) are fully balanced XLR connectors (implementing recognised professional grade components), which plug directly into the DSP circuitry of the system; not only does this approach also follow the afore mentioned design principles, we think it also goes some way to show that, far from the I/O available to a T-Series system being in any way considered as “consumer” level options (i.e. by implication, somehow, a less professional, or corner-cutting approach), they can actually be seen to represent additional options for connection to analogue signal sources.

However, if you do have specific requirements for analogue connections directly to the mix position, via XLR only, please note that all of the modular iLive-176, iLive-144, iLive-112 and iLive-80 surfaces can have different Input/Output module card options fitted.
    The analogue IN and analogue OUTPUT cards for the modular iLive system all implement XLR connectors and a modular surface is fully compatible with T-Series MixRacks.

I hope this helps clear up the reasons these options have been implemented, but if you need any more info, or have other questions, please check out the A&H iLive Series website at:

And, if you cannot find the information you’re looking for within the site, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help.

Best Regards
    Allen & Heath Technical Support
    [/i]

It might be viewed as “bad” marketing to trivialize ( “dumb down”) the modular series since the T-80 and the R 72 already “offer” this ….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.