Beginning with Dante

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Beginning with Dante

This topic contains 70 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Cool. Thanks for the info. I had read the “Getting Started” guide, and that’s how I have it set-up. IDR48 on “internal clock” and Dante “slave to word clock input” and also have the mixrack set up as the “preferred master”. I’ll double check and make sure something hasn’t changed. That is also what seemed the most logical. I do have some experience with setting up word clocks in a studio recording rig. Anywho the pops were only there in one of the four recordings. So maybe it was a fluke thing. I’ll make sure and check all settings before every service for a while. Thanks again.

Matt

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and Dante. ;)

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Cheers Jeff, not a major criticism on the wi-fi/Dante network arrangement really, just noting that it works best a certain way – again, sharing this on the forum hopefully saves someone some head scratching when they go to set theirs up!
    I’m trying to avoid using the same machine for editor & Dante, but it’s good to know it’s doable when the need arises (say, in case of a machine failure).

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

We are constantly using editor and Dante recording over the same Gigabit network via our gigabit router. Works perfectly stable.

4 laptops (3 wired, 1 wireless) and 1 iPad2 constantly connected.

I’ve got the best experience using foobar with ASIO, so far.

Wouter

Biggsounds
    Participant

Good to know Wouter, I’m getting some short cable lengths cut up from the 50m Klotz cat cable I received this week, once I’ve got the appropriate patch length cables sorted (not the cheap nasty stuff I’ve got now) I’ll give it a whirl via the router.
    Did foobar require additional plug-ins to run asio?

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

…Did foobar require additional plug-ins to run asio?…

Foobar2000 seems to support ASIO by default. You may want to use the resampler option (to convert everything to 48kHz, won’t work otherwise) So far, it’s the only free player I found that allowed me to configure the ‘virtual devices’. That allowed me to send the players output to channels 31 and 32 of my Mixrack for instance. Dante tx30 and tx31, that is.

It would be nice to see Dante numbering starting at 1 and not with 0 however. Otherwise, no complaints.

My experience is that this network technology works perfectly stable. All the network set-up where we combine editor and Dante networks is running with DVS at the lowest latency setting of 4ms. I’m going to ask Audinate once more to allow for lower settings (to use at our own risk). See Audinate’s anwer below

Combining Dante and Editor doens’t induce any risk. Audinate do suggest to use gigabit network. This is no problem as long you make sure that the network between the sender and receiver is all gigabit. Since Dante and Editor network are combined on a gigabit router and the line to my Dante computer is also gigabit there really is zero risk involved.
    I my case, as I’m using 32×32 at this moment even 100Mb/s network would be more than enough.

A happy customer,
    Wouter

https://www.foobar2000.org/download

Audinate support told me:

“We are currently working on a website re-design to incorporate FAQs for partner products in a clearer way. I am glad that this will be valued when it is launched.”

Audinate, regarding lower latency settings:

“Lower latency settings are a tricky subject.

Whilst it would appear that in general your computer’s audio interface can cope with lower latency settings, we have to consider the transfer system as a whole. The NIC on a computer is controlled by the main CPU- the demands on this are at best dynamic moment-by-moment, and therefore the Latency settings available on DVS reflect the performance that can be achieved on a machine that the CPU will be called upon to deliver a variety of tasks. It is not desirable to have a recording glitch or fail in the middle, due to a process starting or becoming more processor intensive.
    For this reason there is the Dante PCIe card, that will be available later in the year. The principal difference is that it has a dedicated processor controlling its own NIC, which in turn delivers audio directly to the PCIe bus, just like any other ASIO or Core Audio soundcard. On this platform a latency setting of 150 micro seconds is achievable.

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

albumplayer is good as well (does internally 44 to 48) no clicks and has a nice interface.(not free).

i get no answers from support – randomly channels log on and off (exclamation triangle or the yellow clock)on my system,
    i recall somebody had this problem as well but cant find it in the forum….

win 7 pro 64 bit / dual core machine / 4 gigs ram / gigabit lan / 7200rpm hdd
    antivir- off
    win firewall- off
    no usb device connected

it happens with or without daw (reaper and samplitude)started

help highly apprechiated

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’ve got Foobar running with no issues so far (except for needing to make sure there aren’t channel conflicts with Reaper on the returns!) – again as per albumplayer you can assign the ASIO output to whatever channel pair you want. The interface is pretty ordinary, but it is free :)
    I solved the 44/48 issue by changing the import settings in iTunes to create 48k MP3 files, then using the ‘create MP3’ option to copy my original versions into the new sample rate & deleting the old 44.1k takes – all good (and a lot easier than having a player do conversions on the fly I’d imagine!)

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

quote:

I’ve got Foobar running with no issues so far (except for needing to make sure there aren’t channel conflicts with Reaper on the returns!) – again as per albumplayer you can assign the ASIO output to whatever channel pair you want. The interface is pretty ordinary, but it is free :)
    I solved the 44/48 issue by changing the import settings in iTunes to create 48k MP3 files, then using the ‘create MP3’ option to copy my original versions into the new sample rate & deleting the old 44.1k takes – all good (and a lot easier than having a player do conversions on the fly I’d imagine!)

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

albumplayer plays WMA, MP3, OGG, FLAC, WAV, APE, WavPack, MusePack and the OptimFROG flawless (i dont wnt to convert 60 gigs music into 48khz)

cheers
    dave

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

Quote:
    albumplayer plays WMA, MP3, OGG, FLAC, WAV, APE, WavPack, MusePack and the OptimFROG flawless (i dont wnt to convert 60 gigs music into 48khz)

Just for info: foobar also does the conversion to 48kHz on the fly. No need to do it upfront. Just insert the resampler in de DSP manager.

Wouter

Biggsounds
    Participant

A ha! Thanks W, one less thing to think about (and the MonkeyMote iPhone app is a winner too!) – does the resampler have a particular name in the plug in database?
    I must say I’m pretty happy with how my Dante rig is coming together, next step is to test stability via the Belkin router – hopefully it does this job well (can’t say I’m impressed with it otherwise – I had better stability with my sub $100 cheapie from the local electronics store!).

Adam Biggs
    iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

well here s some good news for old laptops sitting in your rental storage rotting about:

i have this 9 old vaio single core laptop witch stopped running (hdd died) a year ago – i happened to have a 7200rpm 2.5 drive in my parts draw – installed xp sp3
    found a (by a gamer build) graphics driver and it was back to work. now i tried to hook up dante (100mb lan) and as the lan is so old dante driver could not get appropiate message from the card,
    (system “tried 3 times getting info from card giving up” message we know that one) ok as this thing still has PCMCIA slot i bought for 40 bucks a gigabit lan card-inserted the card-hooked up dante-there!!!
    i set dante asio to 32 bit recorded a show with samplitude (float files “the big ones”) 32 channels – the hdd was lurking around 20 to 30% great!!!! i ll give it a try with 48 channels today.

this could be interesting for rental companys having old laptops sittin round.
    i ll post the specs within a few days as we are in the midde of a three week festival (mungo jerry tonite- in the summertime….)

cheers
    dave

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.