Beginning with Dante

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Beginning with Dante

This topic contains 70 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wes
    Wes
    Participant

(Under the CLOCK STATUS tab the ‘Slave To External Word Clock’ option for the M-Dante card needs to be ticked YES as the M-Dante module clocks from the iLive)

Thanks guys for this info. It was source of the clicks and pops in my system.
    (The wording of the “slave to external clock” had fooled me into thinking it was for an external clock source outside of Dante and iLive)

I now have 32 tracks recording cleanly and returning nicely for a virtual mix. Thanks johnse and biggsoundsounds.

Now I plan to use Drumagog drum replacement software to trigger sounds through Dante VS at a live gig! (It works so well on the recordings)
    I’ll let you know how I go.

Wes

IDR 32 Mixrack
    Dante
    Mixpad on iPad1
    Desktop FOH 4 x BCF2000’s
    Desktop record (separate PC from control)

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

Do we have any convenient solution for this limitation?
    I used to play house music from the laptop(VCL player) when I had MADI interface. Also Cubase used to be ready to record the gig in the same laptop. Every time it worked nicely.

How can I accomplish the same thing with Dante setup?

From Dante site:
    ================
    What audio applications are supported by Dante Virtual Soundcard?

Windows: any audio application that supports the ASIO interface. This includes virtually all professional level audio workstations such as Nuendo, Cubase, Reaper and many others. Note: many consumer level audio applications such as Windows Media Player do not use ASIO and are thus not supported by Dante Virtual Soundcard.
    =================

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    Wrestling with M-Dante.

Profile photo of letmefix
    letmefix
    Participant

I just found a possible solution.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asiowmpplg/

I’ll try tonight.

I’m talking to myself again.

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    Wrestling with M-Dante.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by letmefix

I just found a possible solution.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asiowmpplg/

I’ll try tonight.

I’m talking to myself again.

IDR32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    idontPad1&2
    Wrestling with M-Dante.

Sometimes you’re the only one giving yourself a straight answer ;)

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

We received our Dante card last week. Plugged it into slot B of our IDR32 mixrack. Installed bonjour, Virtual sound card, and Dante controller on a Windows XP computer. Hooked the computer, mixrack and dante up through a gigabit switch. Then then trouble started….

I think what we are missing in the Dante Controller is the green checks. The Dante controller finds the mixrack and sets it up as the master clock. But in the matrix where you assign channels it will not let us select anything.

Using Reaper 32 bit on the computer shows how ever many channels the ASIO is configured for, so that seems to be working, but no sound ever makes it from the Dante card.

Please help if you can. Am I correct that the Dante controller should have green check marks at the intersection of inputs and outputs?

Thanks in advance

P.S. We’ve also tried Dante controller on a Windows 7 latop connected to the Dante card over the control port, tried the Dante card in an IDR16. Tried everything else we can think of and are pulling out what’s left of our hair!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Did you connected any outputs in the ilive to the mixrack port B? If not this was the fault. Just trying to guess…

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

MissingLink
    Participant

Thanks steffenromeiss. I have a show to do tonight and I’ll try that. I didnt’ know you had to assign outputs. I’m a beginner with Dante!

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

You definitely need green ticks in Dante controller to route audio. If both the Mixrack and Dante Virtual Soundcard appear as devices yet you can’t select routes (green ticks) then you may want to look at Audinates web site for troubleshooting help or contact them for assistance. Also something to check – Did you set your DVS to 48khz?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

MissingLink
    Participant

Thanks Richard. The DVS is set to 48Khz, but does not show up in the Dante Controller? I guess you can’t post pictures here, but could someone send me a picture of their mixrack/dante/virtual sound card so I can see how it is suppose to look. You could email it to me at contact@unstablegroundband.com.

I’m going to re-install the virtual sound card next and then I’m out of ideas!?!?!

MissingLink
    Participant

Reinstalling DVS worked! Thanks for all the help.

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Gonna ask here. I noticed some clicks and pops with our Dante on one of the four recordings I’ve done so far. In the clock set-up menu for the ilive, should I select “internal” or “port b”? I already have the Dante slaving to the ilive, and the checkbox for “use external word clock” checked in the Dante controller software. Anything else I need to do? I’m getting audio and loving the results, with this one exception.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and Dante. ;)

Biggsounds
    Participant

I was wondering the same thing – I’ve had the pops and clicks a couple times, but I think some of it came down to poor quality cable, as in one instance changing cables seems to have cleared it up. I have mine set to Internal, but was questioning whether it should be the Port B master too…

Also, how are people going with the media player on Dante? I grabbed the windows media player ASIO plug-in suggested by @letmefix but it’s telling me that the ASIO interface (ie DVC) doesn’t recognise the sample rate – 44.1 of course not being the same as the 48k we’re tunneling for the iLive… just wondering if anyone has a working media player they could point me to (which won’t require re-ripping CDs in a different sample rate!)?

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

As I understand it – your Master Mixrack should be set to “internal” – And you should have “use external word clock” checked in Dante Controller and also have “Preferred Master” selected for that mixrack. If you are running a FOH/Monitor split via Dante then set the slave Mixrack to sync to Port B (Dante). I had clicks in one recording and noticed afterwards that the “use external word clock” had somehow been deselected. I’m gonna check every time now!
    I suspect that the sync/master settings in Dante Controller may get changed depending on the order that Dante devices appear on the network. Biggsounds – that might explain why changing a cable fixed your problem?

Re Media player – I think Winamp can play out via ASIO but I haven’t yet tried it out with DVS.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Biggsounds
    Participant

It’d be great to get a clarification from either A&H or Audinate then on the order in which these things need to be enabled – one thing I have found is that if I’m running Editor on the same laptop (via wifi) I need to get that session up BEFORE I enable DVS or else the editor session won’t be able to connect… maybe I’m doing something wrong there, Richard are you running the Dante card and editor via the same router? I seem to remember that’s what you were investigating last time I looked. Would love to see how you’re setting that up if you have had success with that arrangement (I’m still not game to do anything but a straight 1 to 1 connection!).
    I think the media player issue is not so much about ASIO compatibility (it seems Winamp, Foobar2000, or even Windows Media will run with various 3rd party plug ins), but the issue of varying sample rates – would like to hear your experiences on that one when you’ve checked it out.

iDR32 mixrack
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

Richard’s post above is pretty much spot on; his explanation of the clock settings could almost have been taken from page 7 of the M-DANTE Getting Started Guide, which explains this configuration.

As for running multiple network interfaces, I had a quick chat with one of the software team, and the main issue is the way the Java virtual machine interacts with the operating system when asking for access to a network interface. By default, it does not seem to be defined which interface will be provided by the OS, in your case, WiFi or the Dante network. Of course if the OS gives Java the ‘Dante’ network, Editor will not be able to see the iLive on the WiFi network. I am told that there is a way to assign a primary interface, and also a way to affect this process by altering an interface’s ‘Metric’, but I am not aware of the detail of how to acheive this (It could also be possible that altering this to allow Editor to work in the way you want it to could have some negative affect on the Dante software). So what you have found, where programs and interfaces must be started in a certain order, does tie in with how we think the system should be working.

This may not be particularly useful to your situation, but these sort of OS or DVS issues are why we recommend that a dedicated recording machine be used, to give the most bullet proof setup.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.