MONITOR MIXES

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ceejay ceejay 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Hello All. Have been playing with the T-80 and Idr32. Running editor for many different advantages from the stage. I love the system overall[:D]. This may be available and I cant figure it out. If not this would be something very useful and worth paying for as an app for an extension of the editor capability.

I need to be able to pull up a single buss mix. Such as the mono aux1. Then be able to adjust the mix of any or all channel strips only. Not needing eq or fx or even gain tracking as this is all acceptable from front of house. The main thing would be that after this is assigned to the mono Aux1, the person on that “app” or apperatus would not have access to any other aspect of control of the system. Basically looking to set up an IEM mixer for an individual or multiple individuals.

I undrstand there are many other ways of doing this. Pl-net and other outboard equipment. Even i can mix a single monitor mix my self. but I dont beleive that this is something that is currently available in the editor. Locking out someone from other functions. Or if it is could someone point me in the direction.

A individual monitor mixer-touch pad app-would be great(and a viable licensing fee sellable item). I-pad app is great for us FOH and engineers, however still leaves open for the posibility of someone doing something they should not.

Just thoughts and Ideas to pass along and share from a still young user. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

iLive mix pad app for the iPad does all that your asking for @ $100 usd

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

You can also set up custom layers to avoid other issues. Youll be able to read about this more in depth on Allen & Heaths news section of the website. There will be an article posted in the next two weeks that I wrote. Hope this helps.

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

John thanks for the reply.

I have yet to purchase The I pad app. I have however downloaded the trial. It seems to do all that I am asking. However I have not figured how to “lock” it to only on individual bus mix. Meaning if someone wanted to, they could accidently pull up a wrong mix and start altering something they should not. As I said, I do not have the I-Pad app to use currently, so it may exist. If this possible and I am not aware of how to accomplish this. Can you give me a pointer? If so Just another reason to love the I-Live system even more.

A simple app for us Editor/PC followers would be nice–

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

You can’t lock it onto one buss. You still have to select the Aux master to be able to control the sends. When it is selected the fader strips changes color to blue so you can make sure you are not adjusting FOH levels, whether that is enough is up to you. It would be nice to have a latch button on the iPad to lock in a aux mix channel for this purpose. hmmm I see another suggestion for new version post coming.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

From a 30,000 foot view, this all relates back to the user and administration account settings of the overall iLive system.

As this concept goes forward, we as users and soundco’s need a more robust version of administrating access, and I agree that assigning Aux mixes to a user would be a significant improvement. Regardless of the surface being used, if you have a password, then only assigned parameters, (mixes) should be active.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Airport Extreme & Express
    Dante May?

Profile photo of cyrus100
    cyrus100
    Participant

Same from my point of view. It would be great, if the iLive has a more detailed user access control. And mixses assignable to users. I think this can be a configuration issue on the editor.
    Probably like this, assignable right in the iLive right system is to create and administer users in the editor (so no detailed rights need to be stored on the iLive), the detailed right managment is than placed on the client system.
    And so you can setup editor as you want.

idr32
    Editor only (3 times)
    Korg nano
    Dante

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

After thinking about this more:

Does the architechure of the mix rack itself support more than one user “editing” or making changes to different buss mixes at the same?
    Do we rally need to have it become so difficult for lay users? Administrative and non administrative passwords and protection?
    I understand running editor from multiple computers through the network, however if say 10 or 12 are running will they all represent feedback to the surface(running 1 will feedback for fader movement and controls being changed are witnessed). How would multiples effect this.

I am something simple for those that are scared of touching computers. guitar players, singers, drummers(except me) all know their gift, but when it comes to computers and apps for something like this they will likely not take the time to learn too much about something they only use once or twice a week.

still just more thoughts and wishes for the future…..

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of cyrus100
    cyrus100
    Participant

I think yes, the architecture supports multiple changes on different busses at the same time. We run at least 3 editor sessions at the same time, one is the keyboarder tweaking his own IEMs, the next one is the FOH, and the last one doing monitor mix.
    We had never an issue, when different buses where mixed at the same time.
    I think, that you are right the musicians don’t want to get in touch with technics, especially when it’s PC based. For this the interface must be as simple as possible ;), and there should be zero space to make a mistake…

idr32
    Editor only (3 times)
    Korg nano
    Dante

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

While I agree in principal about having the user setup for the control of a single aux, the elephant in the room is what happens when the musician (being non-technical, and volume hungry as a rule!) opts to run their monitor send into unstable territory… I mean who do you think gets the blame for the howling feedback on the chick singers vocal send – certainly not her!
    I’m a bit dubious of it on that front, plus if you need to go in and fix something you would be opening a send you didn’t mix, and therefore any changes you then make might be an issue for the player… a can of worms for sure.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Hi Biggsounds, to be used for IEM use and pro musicians, I’d think

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Biggsounds, you are correct and i agree. I would not want a singer on the front of the stage controlling a mix for multiple monitors or even multiple singers. Woutert is is correct in my thinking. For IEM and personal mixing only is my thoought process. only the ability to have multiple monitor mixers or controlls easily set up with a minimum of hardware.

Cyrus100 seems to think that multiple Busses can be accessed and altered at the same time. I can see this as maybe being an issue if to many busses were accessed and altered. At what load would the processor handle before this became an issue?

With this being possible, It would be very nice to have an editor version that had limited access to only what is set up on that interface. I am only thinking out loud here. Hoping tho give feedback for something as yet another addon to an extremely flexible system. I truly think A&H has one of the finest consoles going. Bank for the buck it cannot be beat. User friendly yes.

I-Live, with what some have requested as add ons, could grow into another of those expensive consoles that would take a true engineer to run all the time. not to mention a bank account full of money to purchase. At this point I think that these guys are realy trying to, and doing a fine job of keeping it to a level of great product easy to learn and use.

Thanks guys for all the input….continued education is a fine thing..

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

Hi Biggsounds, to be used for IEM use and pro musicians, I’d think

Totally agree – like I said, in principal I like the idea (essentially gives us an aviom type system with even greater flexibility!).

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Last year, during rehearsals of a musical theater piece. I had every musician connect to the Mixrack to control their own mix.

In the beginning of each session I’d check if the mix-button for their mix was pressed on their laptops and then we went of. Never had an issue, but these were guys that I did trust. (5 musicians, 5 editors open all the time)

The “allowed mix” could be an very nice extension of the security system that’s already built in.

Wouter

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Generally, the musicians I have worked with have well received the ability to make on the fly adjustments.
    They want simplicity. I have been given positive feedback on the overall system, and I always hear ” it would be a time saver, if I did not have to click the mix button”. They don’t have time to mess around between songs.
    The voice of the customer here. Personalize my settings and give me my world is what they want.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 & iDR48
    Sony F 1.73GHZ I7 8 Core
    Win 7 Pro 500GB HD 8G RAM
    TP-Link WR1043ND
    Airport Extreme & Express
    Dante May?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.