preparing for DANTE

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions preparing for DANTE

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of timcates
    timcates
    Participant

I’m scheduled to get my DANTE card around the end of the month! Now comes the preparation to make sure we can be up and running as soon as possible after it arrives – my rig is an iLive 176 with the older RAB1 card at the surface and mixrack – I’ve ordered a RAB 2 Module and am planning on installing it at the surface – my question is: can I install RAB2 side by side with RAB1 or will I need to pull out the older RAB1 and replace?

PART 2 – if I do replace the RAB card, then I will need to also add Ethersound/ace module for control or can I somehow convert the old modules from type 1 to 2?

thanks in advance for your help!

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

On the RAB 1 module ES can’t be removed AFAIK; looks like you will need to buy an ES or ACE module for you new RAB2. Also you can’t fit more than one RAB module at a time. Sorry for all the bad news…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Timcates

The picture is not as bleak as Rexeltw indicates. You can use existing ‘AVD’ EtherSound modules in a RAB2, using the M-ES-V1-BASE Option Card. This accepts your ‘AVD’ card (the original EtherSound module used in the RAB1), and allows it to work in a RAB2. Your cheapest option is then to fit your new RAB2 module into your rack, with the old EtherSound module from the RAB1 module that you have removed, added to an M-ES-V1-BASE, then fitted into the RAB2. The Dante module would then go in Port B of this RAB2.
    You could switch over to using ACE if you wanted, but this would mean buying another RAB2 for your surface, and scrapping your EtherSound ‘AVD’ cards. It would give you the benifit of not having to run a separate control network cable to your surface though.

Hope this helps

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Jeff, I bow to your superior knowledge! Sorry I seemed to remember that the RAB 1 surface boards had ES permanently fitted, God knows why, I’ve moved them enough times…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of timcates
    timcates
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys – 1 more follow-up for Jeff…..I remember reading somewhere that DANTE could not be in port B……if that’s the case should it be in port A and the EtherSound module would be in port B?

thanks again!

Tim

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Tim

A Dante card will almost always be fitted to Port B. You can use it in Port A in a modular system, where you would then have to fit a Dante card to both the surface and the stage box (both Port A). If you can remember where you read that the Dante Card should only be fitted to Port A, please let me know and I will try to get it corrected.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

…You can use it in Port A in a modular system, where you would then have to fit a Dante card to both the surface and the stage box (both Port A)…

Hi Jeff, do I understand you correctly that in a modular system, Dante can replace ACE?

Wouter

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Wouter

The simple answer is that yes, it can. However, in the current Dante Brooklyn firmware, the ‘control network’ port should not be connected to the iDR network ports, so you would have to run separate audio and control. The next Dante Brooklyn firmware update should resolve this issue, and allow the A&H control network to be connected to the Control Network port of the Dante Card, and be transported down the Dante cable.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Tim

quote:

Thanks for the info guys – 1 more follow-up for Jeff…..I remember reading somewhere that DANTE could not be in port B……if that’s the case should it be in port A and the EtherSound module would be in port B?

To clear up any confustion Dante module can be fitted to the Port B of any Mixrack. The limitation as mentioned in the getting started guide is that Dante cannot be fitted to Port B of the Surface RAB2 2module.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.