Mix-App for Windows Laptops

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Mix-App for Windows Laptops

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mumu mumu 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tonmike
    Tonmike
    Participant

Why not a “mix-app” for laptops?

Most of us already own a laptop and have it anyway there for a job.

I myself have a touch-tablet which could operate the “mix-app” perfectly.
    I don’t want to buy an ipad only for using the “mix-app” and i believe many other laptop users would buy the app if it would be available for windows based laptop.

So please, A&H, give us the app also for laptops an go on with your good work.

Thanks Mike

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Maybe because for a laptop you can use the editor?!

Profile photo of cyrus100
    cyrus100
    Participant

The problem from my view is, that the faders in editor have no adequate size to grab them with your fingers most of the time.
    One of the really good features in the mixPad app is that the resolution increases when you move away from the fader.
    Just one feature editor has not.

And I think mike is right when he already has a windows based tablet, costs are reduced when there is a similar app.

I am using the editor but sometimes I cannot grap the faders via the trackpad fast enough.
    This is one of the reasons I will purchase an iPad soon.

idr32
    Editor only (3 times)
    Korg nano
    Dante soon

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I use an Tablet PC for this – with the digital pen this functions really well.
    Maybe invest in an tablet PC like an lenovo X300T or similar would be a better choice.

Profile photo of ThomasB
    ThomasB
    Participant

I use a Lenovo X60 Tablet and the pen for the adjustments. for me, it works perfect. But – it is not an multi touch of course……

Salids
    ThomasB

IDR 48 T80

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

The editor is not nearly as easy to use as the MixPad app. I think it would be a good thing to port it to a tablet.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of johnse
    johnse
    Participant

I purchased a Windows tablet (ASUS ep121…nice system) specifically so that I can use the Editor with touch input. This tablet has both pen and capacitive touch available.

People are correct that in the normal presentation, the faders are too small to use with fingers. The pen is OK, but I did have some awkwardness with this. This was during a run of 11 bands in 3 evenings at a Sci Fi convention and was only the 2nd event I’ve used the iLive for.

Working with the editor more after this, I found that there is a workaround. Use the Magnifying tool to zoom in to 200% to 250%. If you resize the Editor main window so that it just fills this area of the screen, you now have faders that are appropriately-sized for finger use.
    (ETA: This tablet runs Windows 7, which I would recommend for any Windows tablet.)
    Be sure to practice with this setup. It is easy to wind up scrolling the screen to another area of the Windows desktop. Scroll overlays will appear in the middle of each screen side. If you need to use the Editor’s scroll bars, just be sure to touch the scroll bar to one side of the magnifier’s arrows.

I very much echo the sentiment of having a multi-touch finger-friendly version of Editor for Windows Tablets.

I also very much want to see an Android Tablet version of MixPad (I’ve got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet–yeah, I’m one of those that got one at Google IO :)

For many reasons I will never own an iOS device, so MixPad on the iPad is useless to me.

iLive T80/32 w/ Dante on order

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

[For many reasons I will never own an iOS device, so MixPad on the iPad is useless to me.]

To reiterate what was stated in an earlier thread – even if you use the iPad for nothing but this app, at $500 for the hardware & $100 for the app, it’s a cheap and very effective solution… One big plus of the app over editor to me is the speed at which you can access channel parameters: FAR faster than you can open a channel strip in editor, so on that side it’s a big plus, and I don’t think I’ll weigh into the Android debate except to say one issue that seems to come up alot for developers is that the many versions of Android that run on various hardware (of varying quality, size and capability) make it hard to provide a consistent interface and performance standard… OK, you might not be an Apple fan (god knows I’m not), but at least developers know what they’re producing is going to work consistently on every device (imagine the minor issues we have with MixPad – multiplied by the amount of hardware and processor variations available on Android? Yikes, service nightmare)!

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

[For many reasons I will never own an iOS device, so MixPad on the iPad is useless to me.]

To reiterate what was stated in an earlier thread – even if you use the iPad for nothing but this app, at $500 for the hardware & $100 for the app, it’s a cheap and very effective solution… One big plus of the app over editor to me is the speed at which you can access channel parameters: FAR faster than you can open a channel strip in editor, so on that side it’s a big plus, and I don’t think I’ll weigh into the Android debate except to say one issue that seems to come up alot for developers is that the many versions of Android that run on various hardware (of varying quality, size and capability) make it hard to provide a consistent interface and performance standard… OK, you might not be an Apple fan (god knows I’m not), but at least developers know what they’re producing is going to work consistently on every device (imagine the minor issues we have with MixPad – multiplied by the amount of hardware and processor variations available on Android? Yikes, service nightmare)!

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

+1

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.