Mute Groups

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Hi,

We’re getting on well with our iLive system but there are a couple of things that we haven’t quite got to grips with.

We use mainly DCA groups with one or two audio groups but are looking to try and mute most of the foldback channels in one go. At the momment, we mute the DCAs but this leaves the monitor channels open. So, if someone unplugs a guitar when the DCAs are muted the noise of this still comes through the monitors. We are using mainly IEMs so this can be a pain. We also mute the whole band while the tie mic is in use and I’m guessing that some noise from the band channels may blead through to our recording mix so we are keen to avoid this too. I just can’t figure out how to mute several monitor sends using one button. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance [:)]

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

You can assign all foldback master faders to one DCA.

Strange however, if I mute a channel, it’s also muted in the aux sends. Even if the mute is done via DCA.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Muting the audio groups would achieve this, but I’m guessing you don’t want to use them up?

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Thanks,

I’ll try assigning the aux faders to one DCA and that should do it. I may have been wrong about the DCA mutes but I think there is a difference between muting the channel and muting the DCA that a channel is assigned to. I’ll run some tests and report back.

With regard to muting the Audio groups, you’re correct I didn’t want to use them up.

Thanks for your help guys.

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of ThomasL
    ThomasL
    Participant

DCA-Mute is unlike the classical analogue VCA-Mute. With the DCA-Faders you only affect the faders of the channels assigned to that group. With the Mute-Button you affect the whole channel as one, including all Busses (Group, Aux, FX) this Channel may be mixed to.

Regards, Thomas

In Use & For Rent
    iLive T112 / iDR48
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de/blog

Profile photo of Slammin
    Slammin
    Participant

In your dca’s are you muting groups or the inputs?

for our mute groups we assign inputs to the dca’s, this mutes at source and therefore would mute it to all groups and aux’s it is assigned to too. you could still assign the groups to other dca’s (there are 16 after all) so that you could run as stage only for say sound checking then press the other one for when you need to hard mute

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Yes, if you have assigned input channels to the DCA then the monitors will also be muted when you mute the DCA master.

You can convert a DCA group to a MUTE group by pressing SEL on the DCA master, selecting the TouchScreen ROUTING key, then setting the ‘DCA Fader to 0dB ‘ button at top right. This simply locks the DCA master fader at its ‘0’ position letting you use just its MUTE key.

You can also assign DCA (MUTE) groups to the Soft keys so you can quickly mute them without having to find the master strip. You could also remove the DCA master strips from the Surface once the mute groups are assigned.

Hope that helps,
    Carey

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Thanks again for your help on this.

The issue to do with noise through the monitors may be because we have a DCA that controls all of the FOH faders. We often mute this expecting it to mute everything but clearly it won’t. I have now programmed two soft keys, one has the DCA mute for FOH and the other has the mute for all of the AUX sends. What we should have done previously was to mute the whole band because the band channels are already routed to one DCA.

Anyway, I think we’ve got there now. Thanks again for all your help. This forum is such a valuable thing [:)]

Piehead

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Piehead
    …The issue to do with noise through the monitors may be because we have a DCA that controls all of the FOH faders. We often mute this expecting it to mute everything but clearly it won’t…

What exactly do you mean with an FOH-fader? I ask this because if you would assign a channel directly to a DCA and mute that DCA then all of that channel’s sends will indeed be muted. If this is not the case, you are assigning something else to the DCA, not the channel. (as confirmed by others in previous posts)

You’re really muting? Don’t forget that there is a difference between muting and moving the fader down. FOH same effect, monitoring not.

Wouter

Wouter

Profile photo of Piehead
    Piehead
    Participant

Wouter,

We have assigned the left, right, centre and sub faders to a DCA. That way the balance of these can be set (in fact we don’t even have those individual faders on the surface any more) but the whole group of faders can be adjusted using just one fader. We mute this DCA before meetings/shows start but the monitors are still on. Helpful when most people are on in-ears because you can at least play a note and hear it and know that everything is working.

[:D]

T112 + iDR48

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Ah ok, mistery resolved :-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.