Problem with channel mono/stereo and gain – BUG

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Problem with channel mono/stereo and gain – BUG

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Elphie Elphie 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

Hello ;)
    I have Ilive T112, IDR 48 and firmware 1.80. The problem is with 2 channels (no metter with) you wana do it 1 stereo channels. Everything is ok without gain. When you make from 2 channels 1 channel stereo you must check that PAD is pressed on each or not. When you make from 2 channels 1 stereo and on first is PAD on and the second off gain on this stereo channel is bad bacause this channel where was PAD on is less gain and the second is high. Nothing can do :( You must do it from this stereo channels 2 mono AGAIN and make both PAD off or on and then make stereo again and gain is OK. This is major BUG please fix this ok?

Best regards
    Mario from Poland

Ps.
    Sorry for my poor english :)

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Mario

quote:

You must do it from this stereo channels 2 mono AGAIN and make both PAD off or on and then make stereo again and gain is OK. This is major BUG please fix this ok?

This is not true

When changing channels from mono to stereo if the Pad settings are different all you need to do is press the pad button and the Pad will sync up to work as it should.
    You do not need to make them the same state before changing from mono to stereo.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of aqstyk
    aqstyk
    Participant

Hi ;)
    Ok i try this next time :)

Regards
    Mario

Profile photo of Elphie
    Elphie
    Participant

I’ve noticed a similar issue when linking two monos to stereo. Unless the head amp gain are both set to the same level before the linking, there is an imbalance once linked. I’ve also had the same PAD issue described above. Also noticed a similar issue with phantom power. We had these issues occur several times when using v1.7 firmware but have not had to make a change since upgrading to v1.8. We simply plan around it.

These issues only arise when creating a stereo channel from 2 mono channels that previously had different head amp settings. It seems whatever the odd channel (as in an odd number 1,3,5,7,etc) settings are, the settings are not copied over to the even channel.

Is this a product feature or a bug? Changing the head amp settings (level, pad, phantom power) did not make any change at the time.

If I get a chance, I’ll try it with v1.82 and let you know. Also happy for someone to say they found the solution when they RTFM. I couldn’t find one.

Cheers,
    Michael

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

quote:

Unless the head amp gain are both set to the same level before the linking, there is an imbalance once linked.

I take it you are referring to ganging here – in which case there is currently no facility for ganging pre-amps, so they would have to be set separately.

quote:

These issues only arise when creating a stereo channel from 2 mono channels that previously had different head amp settings.

Yes this is correct – we do not copy the LHS settings to the RHS, but by changing the settings then they will “sync”. This is done on purpose. I will try to explain…
    If the two channels were coming from a source that is stereo (such as a keyboard) then I’d expect that the pre-amps would be set the same even when they were mono channels, unless the pre-amp hasn’t been set-up yet, in which case they will sync when it is set-up after becoming a stereo channel.
    We don’t keep them in sync automatically, as it may be that you are using 2 pre-amps for mono channels that are also feeding a stereo channel as well (that you are not using), and it would be frustrating not to be able to set them differently (and not know that one was affecting the other).

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Profile photo of Elphie
    Elphie
    Participant

Hi Antony,

Not refering to ganging, I’m refering to making 2 mono channels a stereo. If the two mono channels have different head amp settings prior to being turned into a single stereo channel, the left and right on the new stereo channel have different settings (which you’ve said). What I’ve found is that changing the PAD, phantom and gain settings for the new stereo channel does not change both sides of the new stereo channel. What I’ve found is that when a change is made to the head amp gain, the change in value is plus or minus from the original value of the head amp gain in the previous mono channels, rather than an absolute value for the new stereo channel. At the time we found changing the values for head amp gain, phantom power and pad only efffected the left channel when these settings were originally different on the two mono channels. Does my explanation make sense? I realise it’s a bit hard to put into text!

It’s a very minor issue that we only experienced before we planned our channel assignments better. It was when we changed from having two separate mono keyboard channels for 2 different devices into 1 new stereo channel for one keyboard. As a church, we’re constantly changing our band line up from week to week and this was the solution we came up with at the time. Now we just plan with spare channels.

As I mentioned, I’ll try and replicate the issue when I get the chance. We haven’t needed to change a channel since we upgraded to v1.8.

ps this is the best audio console I’ve ever used.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.