Signal Splitter for iLive

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Signal Splitter for iLive

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 13 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bill-Chu
    Bill-Chu
    Participant

Question about signal split for iLive, my client would like to know if they using iDR-32, and each channel needs direct out, any method to save outputs and money (they are doing venue and direct out for each channel is very important for their normal practice)? For my understanding, another iDR can be applied as digital splitter fed from Port B’s ACE port from iDR-32; for your experience, is there any better or less expensive method to do the same function, such as by MADI / EtherSound?

And if another iDR mix rack is needed for signal split, that means the maximum mix-rack number for a system is used, so how can I do if the whole system need a redundancy / mirror backup?

Profile photo of camhissey
    camhissey
    Participant

why dont you just use an analogue split before you get to the input of the mix rack? its better in most regards than direct out as you get isolated gain settings for your preamp, which, if this is for recording, is gonna be better practice anyway. a lot of live engineers make changes to preamp gains mid show which will mess with your recording levels.

Bill-Chu
    Participant

Thanks camhissey

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by camhissey

why dont you just use an analogue split before you get to the input of the mix rack? …

I think that the first question was about saving outputs and money…
    Suggestion an analogue splitter per channel is not really saving money, as far as I know.

No, you don’t need another IDR-32 (unless you need more than 32 physical inputs of course) and yes, you can output all direct outs via MADI, Ethersound, Rocknet or Dante/Rednet (the latter hopefully in about a month).

About the gain issue. Do a proper check upfront and then agree on using the trim functionality can solve this problem.

If that really wouldn’t work you can still decide to invest in the previous more expensive solution afterwards.

Wouter

camhissey
    Participant

ah true, both about the trim functionality and the money saving requirement :)
    I’m just a fan of keeping the two worlds separate whenever possible, that is recording and live.

Bill-Chu
    Participant

So digit out will be cheaper than analog solution? For what I know, if using EtherSound, a 8 channel EtherSound to analog converter is about US$2,000, 32 outputs would cost US$8,000; if using mic splitter, 1 in with 2 parallel out, 32 channel should be about US$4,000. Any cheaper solution in digital mean suggested?

camhissey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Chu

So digit out will be cheaper than analog solution? For what I know, if using EtherSound, a 8 channel EtherSound to analog converter is about US$2,000, 32 outputs would cost US$8,000; if using mic splitter, 1 in with 2 parallel out, 32 channel should be about US$4,000. Any cheaper solution in digital mean suggested?

when comparing, the analogue mic splitter dont forget they will still me mic level, you’ll need to include in your pricing a second set of mic preamps for the other side of the path.
    If you can make do with just 24outputs, why not consider the MMO card, only roughly 1000bucks for 24 ADAT outs?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

…a 8 channel EtherSound to analog converter is about US$2,000, …

Can you explain us why your client needs the direct outs to be analogue? It’s not about recording then?

Wouter

Bill-Chu
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

quote:

Can you explain us why your client needs the direct outs to be analogue? It’s not about recording then?

Wouter

My client is in venue, which the purpose of using direct out mostly is for press conference / news reporter, not for music recording, that’s why thy need analog mostly.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

quote:

Wouter

My client is in venue, which the purpose of using direct out mostly is for press conference / news reporter, not for music recording, that’s why thy need analog mostly.

Maybe this sounds like a stupid question but, what is “being in venue”?

They just need to provide press feeds?
    Then something like this, probably?
    https://www.audio-video-europe.com/index.php?module=catalogue%3Earticles&page=viewarticle&art_id=426&cat_id=41&m=8

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant
    Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

https://www.palmer-germany.com/10-1-signal-splitter.html
    another one

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.