Compressor modes for iLive – what do you use?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Compressor modes for iLive – what do you use?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robc robc 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rich-robinson
    rich-robinson
    Participant

Sup guys,

This is my first post so… hey! [:)]

We have ordered an iLive T112 & IDR32 Mix Rack, which is due to arrive at some point next week.

I was wondering what compressor modes you guys use on what sources?

What do you stick on drums? Vocals? Acoustic guitars? Peaky synths & keys?

Is there any general advice you can offer on the system that a newbie like me could benefit from? We’ve got some big shows 3 days after the system will be set up and in place so the learning curve will be pretty steep.

Cheers,

Rich

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I still haven’t gotten a chance to really compare the compressors a lot. So far my default comp for instruments is the “iLive RMS”, and for vocals is the “Vocals”. I however want to play with the “speech” compressor on speakers a bit more. I had it on the preacher and it was making him sound like he had a lisp. I kept trying to fix it with eq before it dawned on me it could be the compressor. Switched it to “vocal” and he went back to sounding normal. I’m not sure if I was just pushing it a bit hard, or maybe need to blend in the dry signal via parallel compression. Or maybe try and play with the side band eq.

Anywho, to summarize, an amazingly versatile board. Simple to use and I really enjoy tweaking it. If you will be using a computer with it, I highly recommend getting the edit software and playing with it before hand. IMO somethings are easier to set up that way and other things directly on the control surface. But either way works really well. Just got an iPad too, but haven’t bought the MixPad app. I have the free version and it looks awesome. Also read both manuals, part 1 and 2. One is for the hardware the other is for the software. Good luck. You’ll enjoy it.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and trying to patiently wait on Dante. ;)

Profile photo of rich-robinson
    rich-robinson
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the offline editor a few days ago. I’ve had a bit of a play around on that as well messing around on an R-72 in the dealers demo room.

I shall have good read through both manuals and report back once I’ve spent some time with the T112.

P.s. How useful do you find the iPad? Is it reliable? Would you say its worth getting a basic iPad with no 3G just for ringing out monitors on stage and mixing from where the audience are etc? Looks like an incredible useful tool.

Cheers,

Rich

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Rich, there are quite a few gigs lately where I’ve been able to cover the whole show from the iPad – definitely grab one! As you said, base model without 3G will do, it’s the cheapest control surface money can buy. Btw I use the slow opto-comp on the main bus – very smooth.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Hey.

Great idea to talk about the comps! I used the Peak comp on my vocals but I found quite a lot og 3 KHz distortion from my fast release. I changed to the RMS and it got nicer the ear.

Some official whtiesheet on these comps anywhere??

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

Any feedback on punchbag and 16T ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.