Ducking

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I’ve been using the ducking feature (compressing via external sidechain) a lot recently for various talking head events.

A couple of questions / suggestions:

– Is there a technical reason why the sidechain can only come from a channel ‘nearby’ the ducked channel, it seems the list only includes channels in groups of 8. It doesn’t seem to be limited to source inputs though because I can choose a source input from a different bank of inputs from the surrounding channels. It would be useful to choose any input as a sidechain source.

– could we please be able to use a mix as sidechain source? For example if I have 4 microphones and I want any one of them to duck a music channel, I have to send these to an Aux and then physically loop that out of an output and back into an input channel. This is ok, but if I have to set something up on the fly during a show, its tricky and requires physical patching.

Toby

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Toby

Sidechain selection is limited by the DSP architecture. The channels that you have access to are all being processed by the same physical DSP chip. A particular DSP does not have access to other inputs or mixes.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.