eq’ing for hip-hop group

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions eq’ing for hip-hop group

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CMattE CMattE 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of huffditty
    huffditty
    Participant

Hi Guys,

We have a hip-hop group that we will be having into our venue. We want to accommodate them as best as possible. None of our engineers have mixed hip-hop ever, live or studio. Any suggestion on how to give them great sound for what they want to produce, please give my your input. This is on a I-Live t-112. I would also welcome and mic and turntable eq’ing parameters.

Thanks

Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Hi,

Do they use a live band or a only a dj with cd? Most rap artist i’ve toured with tend to hold their mics in the worst way possible, wich results in no definition or dynamics. Compressors are your best friends! Don’t over-eq on the high end of the spectrum, due to microphone handling, it’s just not there… But that’s my opinion/experience…

Good luck,

Gijsbert
    T112/idr32

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Agree with the above post but have had success using frequency conscious compression to tame plosive’s which means the high end has little compression and is “more natrual” while lows are more controlled.

Also suggest getting a similar hip hop CD and listen to it on your rig and note what the key attributes are in the mix and how it sounds etc…

Cheers,

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Bet they cup the mic’s. Ugh. However I did run sound for one group that their backing cd had full vocals on it. They just “sang” on top and ad libbed here and there. I just kept the mics lower in the mix and kept the cd blasting. It was loud and everyone was happy. ;-)

T112/48, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and trying to patiently wait on Dante. ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.