Channel Recall Safes

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Channel Recall Safes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 13 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theWhiplash
    theWhiplash
    Participant

I was searching through the forum (and guides) looking for info on “recall safe” for Surface inputs. I am using a T80 surface currently running 1.7 firmware. (I have 1.8 ready to load but haven’t had a chance to load it yet–maybe the update addresses this??)
    I use an iPod for playback going into the Surface RCA Input 5/6 slots. When I bring up the channel input view the SAFE button does not appear on the screen like it does with regular Input Channels. Am I missing something or is it not possible to recall safe Surface inputs?
    thanks for your help

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy FOH/PM

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I noticed this also. I think the ability to recall safes would be useful. If implemented I would expect only to restore non-safe to safe transitions, not the reverse.

If I know my board layout in advance I should also be able to recall a scene with the safes I want after the sound check and be assured that a live scene recall will not change what I do not want changed.

I think the scene editor could use some improvements to make it easier to use, but the ability to recall scene safes would be helpful. Obviously this wold need to apply scene safes last to avoid errors in restoring the rest of the scene. Perhaps a selection for safes first or last would be useful.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Whiplash

You can Safe the channel via the surface scene safe button in v1.7. The reason you do not see the safe button in the touchscreen is that this is for Pre-amp safe which T-Series surface inputs do not have.

In v1.8 we have made big changes to the scene safe system that will allow alot more flexibilty with scene safes.

I suggest you update to the latest firmware and see what you think.

Regards
    Sam A&H

theWhiplash
    Participant

Sam–thanks man, thats the info I was needing to see then. I’ll get it updated this week, and check out the changes. Appreciate your reply.

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

quote:

I suggest you update to the latest firmware and see what you think.

Regards
    Sam A&H

I am on 1.8 and I agree with your point. However, did I miss the part where scene safes can be stored as part of a scene?

While it might seem counter-intuitive, if I know my layout and want to engage a known set of safes after a sound check, wouldn’t this be a convenient way to do this? Perhaps scene safe presets might be a better way to think about it. Did I miss that feature? I’ll take another look.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi dburris

No i’m afraid it is not possible to save Scene safes into an actual scene.

Though saving scene safes into scenes has been suggested as a feature request.
    Custom presets are also a good idea.

Thanks for your input.

Regards
    Sam A&H

theWhiplash
    Participant

OK…I guess what I am looking for is to “safe” a particular channel (iPod playback, MC mic) while on one scene so that when I recall another/next scene it doesn’t go nuts on me…volume change, cuts out, etc… can I say Yamaha here? Each channel on an M7 LS9 PM5D has a “safety recall” button on the channel that allows the selected channel to perform as I described above across any scene recall as long as its saved in the current scene. Again I did find it on an Input/channel view (IDr input?) but it did not have the button on the channel view for the Surface Inputs (1/4″…RCA slots). Sam are you saying its not possible to SAFE any slot input on the T80 Surface? Does this mean to get a SAFE option for my preshow/postshow music I have to use an input on the Idr?

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

The easiest way to scene safe any channel is by pressing the T80 “Scene safe” button and then assign the channels you want safe using the MIX keys. BTW Scene Safe = Recall Safe. This applies to any channel strip so will work with surface audio input strips.

As Stealth said: “You can Safe the channel via the surface scene safe button… The reason you do not see the safe button in the touchscreen is that this is for Pre-amp safe which T-Series surface inputs do not have”
    I assume you must be looking at the input preamp to safe a channel which is possibly where you are getting confused.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

theWhiplash
    Participant

Stix-I gotcha…you are right, that is where I was looking (touchscreen preamp section). And yes I was fuzzy on the Scene Safe VS. Recall Safe connection… I am NEW to this desk and system–used it twice now–a month apart. It lives 1500 miles away from me when we are off the road, so I haven’t had any time to learn/try anything outside of doing a couple sound checks and rolling through a show. thanks for the help!

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stealth

Hi dburris

No i’m afraid it is not possible to save Scene safes into an actual scene.

Though saving scene safes into scenes has been suggested as a feature request.
    Custom presets are also a good idea.

Thanks for your input.

Regards
    Sam A&H

No problem. If this is implemented I would suggest that the presets only go from not safe to safe, not the reverse. You could easily unsafe all then apply a new preset.

The problem with the “easy” method mentioned several times is that I may want some channel parameters not safed as I intentionally want my scenes to override those particular features. This currently require additional steps and seem prone to operator errors.

I can see where having the safes part of a scene could be problematic, but the safes preset seems like a decent compromise and I suspect the underlying software infrastructre would already support this if expanded to the safes menu.

I haven’t had my system long but this has already entered my radar for improvements.

Another thing I think would be useful: individual effects have presets, how about a preset capability for the entire effects rack? Currently I plan effects-only scenes for this feature, which may be entirely adequate. My concern here is the extra steps to save only effects into a scene when I am in the midst of a show and the possibility of an error in recalling one of these scenes.

I want to be clear that I purchased the ILive-T in part because if I was architecting a system, the architecture of the ILive is similar to thoughts I’ve had about the design approach for quite some time. That and the fact that I’ve used A&H boards for many years and have several of the models.

I’ll try to offer enhancement ideas as they come up.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.