Mixpad & Personal Monitor Mixing

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Mixpad & Personal Monitor Mixing

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of john@eartsinc john@eartsinc 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jcaban
    Jcaban
    Participant

I’m in the process of ordering a new iLive system for a church auditorium and along with that had specced out an Aviom system. However, after talking with our A&H rep and searching the forums here, I’m considering purchasing iPads with Mixrack instead of Aviom for personal monitor mixing. Seven iPads would be needed for this purpose.

With the new iPad coming out this week the price drop on the original iPad makes this a good decision economically, but does it make sense technically & practically? These are the questions I’m wrestling with and I’m sure others are doing the same. Anyone want to weigh in on the viability of the iPad as a personal monitor mixing option?

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Jcaban

I’m in the process of ordering a new iLive system for a church auditorium and along with that had specced out an Aviom system. However, after talking with our A&H rep and searching the forums here, I’m considering purchasing iPads with Mixrack instead of Aviom for personal monitor mixing. Seven iPads would be needed for this purpose.

With the new iPad coming out this week the price drop on the original iPad makes this a good decision economically, but does it make sense technically & practically? These are the questions I’m wrestling with and I’m sure others are doing the same. Anyone want to weigh in on the viability of the iPad as a personal monitor mixing option?

maybe they can help ……..
    https://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20025064-71.html

they aren’t all trying to connect wirelessly, at the same time, to a mixrack though…….

Personally, I’d stick with Avioms……..

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

This is a solution that we’re actively considering as well, as a replacement both for our PL10s (currently used) and our back-up Aviom-MMO system.

Advantages:

– set-up time
    – ability to use iPad as lyric sheet
    – cost
    – scalability
    – greater access to functionality than Aviom / PLAnet

Disadvantages:

– lack of MixPad suitability for purpose
    – lack of tactile surface for musicians for rapid tweaking
    – lack of security (musicians can f*ck with everything!)
    – precarious WiFi environments at events
    – €80 per unit for software if musicians ‘own’ iPad

I am currently using the iPad for this purpose, to evaluate. It’s not really user friendly for this purpose, and although you can set up custom screens, it’s nowhere near as easy to use as the PL or Aviom systems. Remember: musicians are probably already doing something that is technically complex, and will probably use the iPad with one hand. The touchscreen is very touch sensitive (funnily enough) and this adds a layer of complexity that is a distraction. For a musician to adjust a signal feed to their in-ear mix, they need to reference the screen, be sure they’re on the right layer / screen, and carefully click and drag a virtual fader, which will very rapidly boost / cut the signal with ‘x’dB, whereas an Aviom / PL solution is more robust, and it’s harder to f*ck up your own IEM mix (although they do so more with the Aviom more so that the PL 10, because of the ability to limit the range of the rotary fader.)

For me, although I’m not finished yet with testing, until the MixPad has a really easy, larger fader, customisable screen, the answer is no.

http://www.pianojam.nl

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi there, maybe I can help some.

I’m an integrator here in Central Florida and a AH dealer as well.
    I believe we were the first ones to deploy the system you are asking about.
    We currently have a church using 5 iPads with Mixpad apps to run the bands monitor mix. The entire band is on IEM systems. They moved away from a personal mixing system to this. Nothing but praises. They also use the iPad for their sheet music using a different app.
    We are in the process of typing up a little article on this system and hopefully AH will post here.
    It can be done and it works very well. This church purchased all refurbished iPads and saved a lot of money doing so.
    Hope it helps.
    Gil

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of john@eartsinc
    john@eartsinc
    Participant

https://www.churchproduction.com/go.php/news/14459

Follow the link, this will answer your questions. Article written by yours truly :)

John
    System Integrator
    Entertainment Arts Inc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.