how do you do a virtual sound check in ilive

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions how do you do a virtual sound check in ilive

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of grahamwhite grahamwhite 13 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of moses
    moses
    Participant

hi ,
    i am moses we have T-112/idr48&T-80/idr16, is there any way to do a virtual sound check in ilive digital consoles , some thing like to record a band live and play back in the same channels to see how the system sounds and adjust effects and stuff like that , if so plz let me know any body ,

Regards ,
    Moses.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant
    Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

hi,

i´m use a MADI system (iLive-MADI Card and RME-MADI HDSP Card).
    it is very simple to play the channels from a recorded show back in the iLive.

i´m used “virtual soundcheck” in different situations.
    my opinion: this ist not a “must-have”.
    the problem: you have no original-sound from the stage. the sound from the backline is missing!

but, somtimes, it can help to estimate the sound of unknown wedges or so…
    or in big stadium-situations, where the backline ist not loud enough ;-)

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

@wolfgang
    that´s the point….you gonna miss the direct signal from backline!

greetings from hamburg

IDR 48 / T112 / Laptop

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

@wolfgang: “the sound from the backline is missing!”

And you’re COMPLAINING?! :-)

In truth, now that we’ve moved to digital drums, and we have 100% IEM, the virtual soundcheck is pretty much perfect for us with the MADI system, and there is no more ‘live show’ tweaking after a virtual soundcheck than there would have been with a ‘proper’ soundcheck. Losing the drum mics has been a gift from God, although the drummer hates it.

Which is a good enough reason to do it anyway! :-)

http://www.pianojam.nl

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

Depends on the size of shows you are doing, whether backline volume will affect your foh mix.

If you are mixing in a small theatre room or a hall then backline volume can and will affect the sound out front.
    I mainly do arena/stadium shows so it doesn’t affect me at all. I find that Virtual Soundchecking in conjunction with Solo-in-Place for shows where soundcheck time is tight, it is the single most useful offering since the invention of total recall.

A lot of people think that it is a gimmick, something pointless that bears no actual correlation to a real band playing on a stage. In some scenarios this may be true if you have a small room and a really loud backline/monitor sound. The ability to infinitely loop every single input to get the most out of your dynamic processing, your eq and ultimately the most important thing, ‘the speaker system’ is in my eyes invaluable.

Lets not also forget that it provides an excellent training tool for engineers to actually have a go at mixing a show. They can do it on headphones, in the warehouse with a set of big speakers or even on a showday when everyone else is in catering post soundcheck.

Virtual Soundchecking and the ability to save your various mixes as scenes on a console with total recall is providing us all with more opportunities to be creative, adventurous and more bold in our approach to mixing live sound, Just as studio guys have been doing for years!

Dont knock it until you’ve tried it, is the advice i tell the naysayers!

Graham

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.