iPad 2 available March 11

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iPad 2 available March 11

This topic contains 50 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Biggsounds Biggsounds 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

Pretty amazing! And same starting price!

https://www.apple.com/ipad/

Scott

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

From early reports it doesn’t look like they’ve upped the RAM so it doesn’t seem to be of any benefit to buy this new model (at least for MixPad) – I’ll keep my 1st gen and wait for the iPad 3 to ship with a bigger memory thanks!

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

From early reports it doesn’t look like they’ve upped the RAM so it doesn’t seem to be of any benefit to buy this new model (at least for MixPad) – I’ll keep my 1st gen and wait for the iPad 3 to ship with a bigger memory thanks!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

actually, the ipad2, featuring the new A5 dual processor chip, would probably allow a little “headroom” for more apps running at the same time which can be beneficial for running the mixpad….and friends……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m not sure if processor speed is the issue for us – all the crashes seem to be about lack of memory, hence not seeming like this is a big improvement… I’d like to be proved wrong on this, but otherwise maybe for anyone who has been waiting for this the original iPad is on sale for $100 less at the moment (I bought mine from Tim at Dale Pro Audio if anyone is chasing one with good service to boot!).

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

I’m not sure if processor speed is the issue for us – all the crashes seem to be about lack of memory, hence not seeming like this is a big improvement… I’d like to be proved wrong on this, but otherwise maybe for anyone who has been waiting for this the original iPad is on sale for $100 less at the moment (I bought mine from Tim at Dale Pro Audio if anyone is chasing one with good service to boot!).

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

from apple’s iPad 2 site :

Dual-core A5 chip.
    It’s fast, times two.
    Two powerful cores in one A5 chip mean iPad can do twice the work at once. You’ll notice the difference when you’re surfing the web, watching movies, making FaceTime video calls, gaming, and going from app to app to app. Multitasking is smoother, apps load faster, and everything just works better.

I guess we’ll have to wait til the 11th to know for sure……

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’d upgrade if it looked worth it – let me know how it looks!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

I’m not sure if processor speed is the issue for us – all the crashes seem to be about lack of memory

I’m curious, what iPad model do you have (memory) that isn’t enough? I am about to purchase an iPad and if there are known memory requirements I want to be able to purchase an iPad with enough RAM.

Biggsounds
    Participant

They’ve all (including the new ones) got the same RAM – they only differ in storage capabilities (16, 32, 64gb – I’ve used the 16 & 64 and you get the same warnings)

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

It would be really useful if A&H could enlighten us as to which iPad is best suited to the task (like you have done in the past by recommending cables and more recently a wireless router) and whether the new processor in the iPad2 has any benefits.

At present I’m holding off buying an iPad until things are cleared up. If the new processor makes no difference then I might as well purchase an original iPad at a hopefully discounted price as I only really intend to use it for the MixPad app but if the new processor makes a difference I will stump up the extra…

Any thoughts A&H?

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

my son found a hack for the pad where at least one can turn multitask off and stop the pad , once you re logged in, from searching other nethworks, i think i ll give it a try

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Profile photo of styler1982
    styler1982
    Participant

Biggsounds, please do everyone a favor and stop speaking the memory as gospel on the 2. To clarify we dont know the answer yet, so just wait and see.

I cant see how they would double everything and leave the ram the same. The only trick is Apple doesnt market on RAM, because they market on experience.

Also the sizes, 16, 32, 64 GB are storage, not the same as the RAM or operating memory.

Storage and Memory are two completely separate things.

Stephen Tyler
    Coordinator of Technical Operations
    ACM@UCO
    http://www.acm-uco.com
    iLive T-112/iDR-32; T-80/iDR-16; iPhone; iPad

Biggsounds
    Participant

Not trying to be a naysayer – just looking at the stuff I’ve seen online which included something from Engadget (I’m pretty sure) which referenced an Apple marketeer in the UK at the iPad 2 launch saying it still has 256mb of RAM – I’d be happy to be proved wrong on the memory issues we’re experiencing on the original iPad improving with v2!
    Another suggestion I’ve heard is that the RAM may be boosted significantly at the point where they upgrade the screen to retina display – higher resolution graphics won’t be of any benefit to this app, but obviously the extra grunt they add to run them will be! PS from what I see of the launch details, the faster processor is the only significant hardware change – same storage capacities (interestingly – you’d think they’d be more interested in upgrading storage than making it thinner than a phone!) etc.
    As I said in the above post, the capacity has nothing to do with the issues we’re seeing, maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my reply to jgrooms?
    I was an early adopter of the app, I happily paid my $120 odd, and I sing the praises of the system and this app to everybody – if the hardware is improving and that will make it better still I’m a happy camper, I just haven’t seen anything to indicate that v2 will address this particular concern.

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

According to this website linked below the Ipad2 has 512 RAM.

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/03/02/full-ipad2-specs-vs-competition-whos-best-infographic/ipad2-specs-e/

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Biggsounds
    Participant

Very cool, thanks for that Gary – It’ll be interesting to see how it runs with MixPad! Ideally if it’s got the ram to run MixPad and something like audiotools concurrently (and not drop wi-fi connectivity when you switch!) it’s going to be killer…

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

stop talking about gadgets this is not APPLE forums:)

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.