More focus on sound less on controlgadgets

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions More focus on sound less on controlgadgets

This topic contains 21 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rexeltw Rexeltw 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

quote:

Originally posted by Lou Hemming
    …I look forward to editor including an mp3 player so enabling playback at foh from media files stored on the laptop running it………..[:)]

That will be possible in one month using your Dante virtual soundcard on the laptop and Dante interface in the Mixrack :-)))

Wouter

Woo Hoo for Dante making all our connectivity dreams come true!!!

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

i agree with what this topic is all about.
    there are a few more things that need tweaking….
    ipad: make it a more efficient app if posible and fix the metering/other bugs.
    iphone: if we could get metering on this, it would be fantastic!
    ilive:
    get a width of Q control on the de-esser,
    make the limiters better (they need some more controls…attack/release),
    ability to sidechain to a group/bus on the compressor,
    and then besides all this its probably time to go back and clean code and algorithms up.
    improve the overall sound, stability and operation of the system.
    make it more fool proof with regards to network control.

as far as what i think shoudl be the major drawcard of version 2…
    proper networked audio!
    if A&H came back and said this software upgrade would cost AUD$500 per console or say AUD$1500 for 4 or more units (unit = one surface or idr) to update (for production companies) then i would happily pay that.
    we cant keep expecting improvements forever for free!

Current stock:
    T112, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 2x iDR-16
    On order:
    Dante Cards, xDR-16

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

I would certainly pay a fee for major improvements to the system.
    I believe A&H stepped up to the plate and started this, charging a reasonable price for the mixpad app. I think others may follow that lead in the future. I recently read an article in a trade magazine reviewing the mixpad app, and just beneath that was another review for a competitive app with the last line reading…”did we mention it’s free”. Free does not necessarily equate to a superior product. Quality improvements do cost money and resources, and we do get bugs and fixes later.

Cleaning up the code could improve the speed of the system overall, and if a major upgrade with good marketing behind it had a price or a fee, I would certainly further invest and pay for such upgrades.

This topic is very interesting, and thank you to Allen & Heath for allowing us to give constructive feedback. I, and many others appreciate all you do.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 Surface
    iDR48 Mix Rack
    Sony F Series laptop
    Win 7 500GB HD 8G RAM
    Airport Extreme & Express
    iPad 2 and Dante soon

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

I’m more concerned with how quickly the SBC processor etc will run out of processor speed with all these improvements. I know most people have had to change their 1GHZ for 1.5GHZ units but if everyone has to upgrade to the newer 2GHZ processor there’s going to be a lot of swearing and skinned knuckles…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of Lou-Hemming
    Lou-Hemming
    Participant

Checking out the Dante stuff now………… :-)

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

+1 FOR THIRD PARTY PLUGINS,

A&H
    THE BEST. THE PRICE IS AFFORDABLE.
    IT CONFUSES MANY PRO’S WHO’S NOT FAMILIAR WITH COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY
    IF IT SO GOOD WHY IT’S SO CHEAP?
    ANSWER- WE WON’T PAY MORE MONEY FOR LO COST CHINESE COMPUTER PARTS! NEVER!

THERE ARE THE MANUFACTURES THAT ARE TRYING TO HOOK PEOPLE PAY MORE FOR NOTHING.

MIDAS– THE PRICE,LOGICALLY BAD ORGANIZED,NO GOOD EXTERNAL CONTROL OPTIONS,NO ONLY RACK OPTION,
    DIGICO – CONSOLE BASED ON WINDOWS ITS A BIG MISTAKE!,NO OPTION TO WORK ONLY WITH RACK, THE PRICE,TOO MUCH UNNECESSARY INFORMATION ON THE DESK,NO SPECIAL DESIGNED EDITOR & CONTROL OPTIONS,GQ ORGANIZED UNCOMFORTABLE.
    YAMAHA– PM5D=DINOSAUR FROM THE 1990, MC7L,LS9 = MP3.
    SOUNDCRAFT– Vi6= UFO SPACE SHIP

2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

FYI I know that Yamaha hired an iLive package from a UK hire company last year so they could show it to their development engineers. Can’t see them flying guys over from Japan to look at a desk they thought has as many problems as the OP’s supplier implied they did…

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.