More focus on sound less on controlgadgets

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions More focus on sound less on controlgadgets

This topic contains 21 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rexeltw Rexeltw 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Hi A&H and the rest of us.

Lately all focus has been on ways to control the Ilive. It now runs pretty nice on Linux, OSX, Windows, Iphone, Ipad etc.

I do not get the huge effort you put into making your surfaces obsolete. Tuning a monitor without having to do the walk back and forth is nice but I would rather see you put some effort into making the Ilive sys a mixer sys that´s up to date with the rest out there.

About a year ago we mailed about better de-esser/dynamic EQ/Multiband compressor. Where is it? I´m touring with outboard to control some of my “problem” singers/rappers.We wrote about better lowcut. Some asked for a “autotune” plug as it is the most used fx in modern music. Where is it?? We got gizmo control – who cares? Buy a surface, mix some music and stop looking at your gadget.

I have yet another tour coming up where I have madi inserted a PC running low latenzy versions of the festures that you do not yet master. That´s 1400 sterling for a sys with SSL MX4 card and 600 more for some Antares and Brainworx plugins.

I´m in the market for 1-2 consoles more. If you do not get this sorted I will be forced to go with a Digidesign that will read any plug-in.

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

yo

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

+1111111 for plug-ins and better scene management………

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of ceejay
    ceejay
    Participant

Many points are valid.
    I certainly, and many users and sound companies make capital investments. We can agree that the technology changes are even more rapid today. I do appreciate the opportunity to make suggestions and this forum is also a learning tool for many. If I would recommend anything other then bells & whistles and a feature set that is competitive to other models, I would ask that Allen & Heath officially create its own string or blog with regular interaction on upcoming (maybe not to specific) changes to the software. I see many points or feature suggestions in different topics, and maybe the messages get lost and or its simply not possible to do at this time. I appreciate many of the changes with the new version which are good upgrades. I, and maybe other users just don’t know what changes may or may not be coming, and we get disappointed quickly, which may even alter a decision point on a purchase. Our customers bands, churches, etc- have needs and requirements, and no system can match everyones desire 100%. However, I would like to be “excited” or hyped on something that could be coming…that is just marketing 101.

Cheers.

CRJ
    Oswego, IL

T112 Surface
    iDR48 Mix Rack
    Sony F Series laptop
    Win 7 500GB HD 8G RAM
    Airport Extreme & Express
    iPad 2 and Dante soon

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Tuejo

Hi A&H and the rest of us.

Lately all focus has been on ways to control the Ilive. It now runs pretty nice on Linux, OSX, Windows, Iphone, Ipad etc.

I do not get the huge effort you put into making your surfaces obsolete. Tuning a monitor without having to do the walk back and forth is nice but I would rather see you put some effort into making the Ilive sys a mixer sys that´s up to date with the rest out there.

I have yet another tour coming up where I have madi inserted a PC running low latenzy versions of the festures that you do not yet master. That´s 1400 sterling for a sys with SSL MX4 card and 600 more for some Antares and Brainworx plugins.

That’s exactly why I was begging to have Dante implemented. Because that would open the door to external plugins (in a cheaper way…unlike MADI). I think it’s better not to expect A&H to master every aspect of possible gear that we would have had in a side rack in the past but I do expect them to make this mixing platform an open platform that can integrate easily with third party providers. I personally wouldn’t mind using external plugins.

For your information: the results to a poll that I created three weeks ago.
    https://www.micropoll.com/a/mpresult/1065955-397054

+1111111 for better scene management………

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Tuejo

I´m in the market for 1-2 consoles more. If you do not get this sorted I will be forced to go with a Digidesign that will read any plug-in.

Tuejo, don’t forget that the price for Digidesign is more than A&H. It is human to wont everything and more. We have the ability to buy a low priced digital A&H system. and after a while we wont all the same features you can find on the high priced desk.
    IF you buy a LS9 yamaha that’s what you get, nothing more, even barely an feature upgrade.
    I only wont to say : A&H put great effort to try to for fill all our needs but you can’t keep getting more and more for FREE.Maybe they will ad some features that come with a price?

Regards
    Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/IPAD
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Mixing Desk doesn’t have everything I could possibly ask for in the whole world shocker!

What really annoys me about the iLive is that there are no games built in and I can’t play music straight from a memory stick…

Joking aside it does get a little hardware focused on the forum but then pester power seems to work with A&H. Personally I don’t own any iLives (just prep & repair other peoples!) so I don’t have an axe to grind either way. Maybe another poll is in order.

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

Hi,

We do listen to all feedback from all customers at shows, forums or through distribution. We note all requests – this is precisely why this forum exists and why several R&D engineers read this forum and contribute answers. We would also love to see all feature requests on iLive implemented – but resources are finite.

We have had requests for pitch shifting, possibly one previous request for the much more advanced auto-tune. Many many requests for ipad/iphone control, scene safes and of course dante.

We had a number of requests for gated-reverb, symphonic chorus, infrabass, parallel compression and dynamic fx level control, we implemented these, as you know.

A particular brand of phaser was implemented on iLive without request, simply since it was developed for another product. It involved harmonic emulation which will prove useful in future algorithm development.

The speaker matrix is research into exploring easier ways to control speakers at FOH. Engineers want to mix LR and worry about LR, LCR 4 or 5 way FOH at the venue depending on stage width – on the night. On traditional mixers this involves tweaking all channel pans and re configuration.
    Furthermore sub bass management is another topic often discussed. I appreciate this may not seem as exciting as some FX but is important to move forward in the main mix. It was also development into extended IO capabilities of the fx rack.

Whilst we work on new algorithms and products, its very difficult to tell you whats coming up whilst things are being developed and not possibly proved working. Look at Dante. There have been issues in developing the hardware platform which have been beyond our control, the delay has frustrated some customers. We apologise.

I hope this helps.
    RobC

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Thanks Rob, I do appreciate the way in which your in house engineers monitor and contribute to the forum regularly – as it stands the iLive isn’t the ‘everything to everyone’ package everyone dreams of, and neither is any other brand of console. The improvements in each release have been significant (& I just noticed the other day how short a time frame it has been between firmware upgrades!), and while there are frustrations around what improvements happen when (particularly the scene management – this obviously is a big redesign on your side of things to implement), the knowledge that user feedback is a direct and valued influence on development is a key factor in why i went with A&H.
    I agree that there has been a great deal of talk on the forum around control options, but as my setup has been vastly improved by this innovation I have to say that cant be a bad thing – attracting more buyers to A&H though these ‘banner’ releases such as MixPad is a means to an end: more users = more revenue = more R&D dollars = better features sooner.

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Guys I think Rob and A&H in general should be applauded for having the bottle to produce such an innovative product at a lower price point.
    It is impossible to have everything on a console, I am sure even the XL8 has foibles which I may not be happy with, The Digidesign certainly has. The product range taken as a whole is very comprehensive with some very interesting features, sure it does not have TC FX (for instance ) so insert your system 6000 the same as you did with your analogue console. I am sure as time goes on more of the features we request will appear, but we should also understand R&D budgets for the company are not infinite.
    Should we not be a little more understanding?
    Ian B.

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Totally 100% agree with the posts above, my business is fairly small and I can’t afford £10k+ on a mixer. The iLive has enabled to me enter the digital world for alot less and as I don’t have a surface so the control updates that have been done are very beneficial to me. As my business expands I can add a surface when funds are availible and the iLive being “one big happy family” is a massive plus point. If you have got a precious effect that needs to be used then it can be inserted in the normal analogue way. For the price I paid for my iDR-32 I could have got a Presonus Studiolive which I think is quite novel but lacks so many of the iLive featues, an LS9-16 (maybe) sorry.. no thanks or a GL2800 plus some limited outboard. I’m sure these requests will gradually find there way into the mixer.

As I don’t tend to do theatre work I’m not so worried about the scene management but I’m quite happy for A&H to concentrate on this as its high on peoples requests. I think its about being patient…

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I’ll add Kudos also for a great product. I haven’t even laid hands on one yet, but we ordered ours Tuesday. Should be here in the next couple of weeks. IMO the features it does have at it’s price point are incredible. And they definitely have a handle on making it as “future” proof as anything else out there. I can’t wait to get ours and see what else they come out with as time goes on. :)

Looking at a T112/48. :-)

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

First, thanks to A & H for a fantastic product, and for listening. I know we all get frustrated because it is such a great product, and we always want “more”–if only it would/could……
    I will point out that this product has only been out a short time in reality, and it has already had at least 3 firmware updates that have included improvements/revisions that many of us have asked for. As someone who has been clamoring for additional scene control, as I am a theater person, I understand that is near and dear to me (still anxiously awaiting) but I also understand that it is not to others. However, the most recent firmware update did fix some things and gave us some cool new things. I bet the next one does as well. Therefore thanks again A & H,….but do please keep the updates/improvements coming….we are an impatient bunch of engineers in an ever changing environment.

Jon

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of Lou-Hemming
    Lou-Hemming
    Participant

I & my colleagues & artistes love our iLive systems [:D] we changed from yamaha & Midas digital & analogue consoles and the overall improvement in audio quality has been noticeable to us & our clients.

I understand that in a perfect world there wouod be no need for external processing & dynamics; on-board provision would be total, however this is the real world and nothing is perfect is it? No of course not. Let’s give the A&H R&D guys a chance to prioritise new developments, this will take time but it will happen if recent updates are a guide.

Lastly this is a great product, the most recent update that introduced the parallel compression option has made turd polishing almost possible! Well done A&H!

I look forward to editor including an mp3 player so enabling playback at foh from media files stored on the laptop running it………..[:)]

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Lou Hemming
    …I look forward to editor including an mp3 player so enabling playback at foh from media files stored on the laptop running it………..[:)]

That will be possible in one month using your Dante virtual soundcard on the laptop and Dante interface in the Mixrack :-)))

Wouter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.