Switched outlet

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Switched outlet

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dicephalous
    dicephalous
    Participant

Hi,
    Our mixer and mixrack is plugged into some switched outlets for convenience. For now, we’re powering down the surface through the touch screen and turning off the surface and the mixrack through their respective power switches until we know it’s safe to use the switched outlets. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I would think it would be safe, but I’d like to hear that others are doing something similar or have heard from Allen and Heath that it is a safe way to power down.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

When you say switched outlets do you mean via a power sequencer like a Furman?

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Profile photo of dgarman
    dgarman
    Participant

I would like to have an official reply to this one also. After closing the surface with the utility shutdown routine we are turning off a UPS that has the surface, mixrack, and an external monitor connected to it. We are powering it up by hitting the power on the UPS. We have not had any issues but we just started doing this three weeks ago. Our mixrack is under a fixed counter so it would be annoying to get to the power button on the back but not impossible.

Thanks,

Dan Garman
    iDR48/T112; MMO; iDR-OUT

Profile photo of Jan-Boehm
    Jan-Boehm
    Participant

We also use two ups units (one in the control romm, one on stage). The T112 and the IDR16 in the control room are both switched by the ups and this is working quite fine since the boot sequenze of the idr is quite shorter than the one of the T112.

Greets

Jan

T112/IDR16/IDR32 Dualmixrack

http://www.renitenztheater.de

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

I’m guessing the official view would be they fit power switched, use ’em! Personally I never turn a surface on until the idr relays click into place. I’ve never timed it but I’m sure it takes longer to settle down on Ethersound than it does on ACE. Next time they are all in the store I might organise a race…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Had sometimes stagehands that steal my power on FOH…
    never had a real problem with that,
    except the warning message that my surface wasn’t powered down properly.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of dicephalous
    dicephalous
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rexeltw

No, but I’m sure someone is wondering about that too. We have a designated area for the mixer and have some receptacles in the wall that are wired to a switch for the equipment (mixrack, surface, cd player, etc). I’m perfectly fine with shutting it down via the touch screen, but I don’t really like having to reach around the surface and crawling on the floor for the mixrack to reach their respective power switches. The switched receptacles would be really convenient for our application.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

im confused? what is the question here??
    should i use the switch on the back of the console or turn the power off at the wall?

Current stock:
    T112, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 2x iDR-16
    On order:
    Dante Cards, xDR-16

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dicephalous

quote:

Originally posted by Rexeltw

No, but I’m sure someone is wondering about that too. We have a designated area for the mixer and have some receptacles in the wall that are wired to a switch for the equipment (mixrack, surface, cd player, etc). I’m perfectly fine with shutting it down via the touch screen, but I don’t really like having to reach around the surface and crawling on the floor for the mixrack to reach their respective power switches. The switched receptacles would be really convenient for our application.
    Thanks,
    Jason

I’m lucky I’ve got long arms!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Any chance to send some MIDI string to console for shutdown procedure? Would be great in installations where all system is controlled by soundweb or similar platform, so you don’t have to sit another 3 hours while DJ is playing.

ddff

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

We have ours plugged into a conditioner. I power down the touchscreen and then power off the conditioner and have not had any issues.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Once again,
    should be no problem with powering down console and switching the racks and the console off by using a switched outlet.

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.