Mixpad & Editor issues?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Mixpad & Editor issues?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sraymond sraymond 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lou-Hemming
    Lou-Hemming
    Participant

Hi all,
    last night i bit the bullet and controlled my mix using Editor & Mixpad, there were one or two issues that came up…….

1. Mixpad kept crashing with the message ‘application has run out of memory’, have i missed something on the iPad set up? its a 16gb ipad.

2. Editor freezes, the meters freeze then catch up. Is this a network speed issue? i was trying it with a BT HomeHub, probably not good enough for the job?

3. The meters were not displaying on the Mixpad.

4: The connection to Editor dropped at the end of the show, i assume this is related to the quality of the router though.

cheers

Lou

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Hi Lou, welcome to the forum! A couple of threads below have covered MixPad setup, but the short version is this: double click the home button to open the ‘background’ apps view at the bottom – hold down any icon til it wobbles then close everything (including mix pad if you’ve got it open). When you start MixPad it has to be the only thing running due to it’s high ram needs (it doesn’t matter if you use a 16gb or a 64gb – I’ve tried both, its ram not storage it runs out of). Otherwise do a shutdown and restart – it achieves the same thing (but is slower than the above method).
    With the metering, you need to go into the settings tab, go to the MixPad app settings & switch off, then on again, all the tabs there. Works a treat (you only have to do this once).
    I use MixPad & Editor for all my shows (I don’t have a surface) and it works great for me – are you running Editor wirelessly? I always use it wired for shows (even though I have tested it and it works ok wirelessly with a ‘N’ router) – also make sure your IP addressing isn’t causing you hassles (again search the forum for a thread on this, you can also find documentation on A&H’s site). Things to check: IP address clashes; wireless encryption off and running on MAC addressing for your wireless devices; quality router & cables helps; pc is up to the spec listed with A&H.
    Good luck with it – there is a goldmine of information on this forum & you will solve all these issues with a little digging!

edit: I just had a look at that router you said you’re using, it isn’t appropriate – you need something with a hub so you’re connecting the mix rack to the same ‘side’ as the laptop & iPad – it looks like that one only has a ‘broadband’ port… I ran into that issue early on too (until I swapped from the broadband port to the router side ports). Check out the discussion about Multicast for A&Hs recommended router – it’s not too dear and should solve most of your issues.
    iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

Had the same issue twice on friday night. “run out of memory” on the pad – with no other app open. Seems not very stable and quit slow. If you move the IP or Aux, it takes seconds until they got the signal and i can work with it…so if you have to react quickly on a feedback and you need to scroll to the IP channel… its not acceptable.
    Next is that that pad looses the connection to the router a couple of times (standby mode off)..hmmm. I need to shutdown and resume the pad to be alive again. Hope they will keep on working on the app. Could be a perfect thing, if it becomes stable enough.

Biggsounds
    Participant

Not sure if that’s the app or something in your router – I had it running for about 7 hours (soundcheck & show) on Friday with no hangs and realtime control the whole time – check out your router settings and make sure you’ve got it set for optimum performance (I found taking the wireless encryption off (and just using MAC addressing for security) helped stability no end).

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

ok will try next time…thnx

Profile photo of Lou-Hemming
    Lou-Hemming
    Participant

Nice, cheers for the help there men! I did think that the router was probably not up to the job and will check the mixpad settings on the ipad.
    Again thanks very much and catch you all again!
    Lou

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

If you are using your mixpad to mix with I would turn off sleep mode on your ipad because I know on the iphone it causes it to disconnect from the network(battery saving features I am sure)Reconnecting to the network is where I have the most issues so avoiding that would seem like a good idea to me. Don’t have enough time with the iPad yet to know how it reacts to sleep mode.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Biggsounds
    Participant

Same issue with sleep mode as the phone (not quite as sensitive, but it still drops wifi most of the time), so yes, best to switch off sleep mode!

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Is connecting using the Mixpad equally slow as using the editor?

Selfmade came up with the interesting idea of having a laptop connected by wire to the MixRack (so never a lost connection), and use “remote desktop” to connect to that laptop wireless as restoring such a connection is a lot faster. Since the new iOS4.2 is now able of multitasking, I was planning to try a set-up with both Mixpad and iTap RDP client installed. That way you would have the whole editor functionality available on your iPad next to the ease-of-use of Mixpad.
    Anyone tried something like this before?

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Wouter,
    I use the ipad with a DLink DIR615 ( has also multicast settings,I use no encryption but mac filtering )
    and connection to rack is very fast , about 15 seconds. if i remember correct connection with my laptop could take a while.I think it all comes down to a fast steady wireless connection. I used it a couple off times so far and will investigate further( example , what happens when I loose connection etc.. )I had no problems whit crashing applet. I have a 16G wifi model

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Biggsounds
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

Is connecting using the Mixpad equally slow as using the editor?

Selfmade came up with the interesting idea of having a laptop connected by wire to the MixRack (so never a lost connection), and use “remote desktop” to connect to that laptop wireless as restoring such a connection is a lot faster. Since the new iOS4.2 is now able of multitasking, I was planning to try a set-up with both Mixpad and iTap RDP client installed. That way you would have the whole editor functionality available on your iPad next to the ease-of-use of Mixpad.
    Anyone tried something like this before?

Wouter

Let us know if that works, as I use Splashtop which will give you an audio feed to the iPad – if it will deal with these 2 apps open I’ve got my PFL feed ;)
    Not sure if it will work, I tried it with Audiotools open and it didn’t have the memory for it (it made the switch once and stayed up, but crashed out after that), maybe a 2nd program with a lower overhead might be OK (although I’m going to take a guess that you’d lose connection on one or both of them).

PS the connection is WAY faster than Editor, more comparable to Tweak.

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

I beleive the Presonus StudioLive iPad app is just a controller of their PC which is contolling the mixer. They use something called iTeleport. On the Presonus website there is a demo of this app and I see no reason why it couldn’t be used to control editor as long as the buttons and faders are not the same size as editor on the iPad…

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Now i remember, connection IPAD to IDR is much faster because the librarys and scenes or not downloaded to the ipad. it just controlling. Thats the reason you can’t load scenes, and edit effects.

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

UPDATED

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds
    Let us know if that works, as I use Splashtop which will give you an audio feed to the iPad – if it will deal with these 2 apps open I’ve got my PFL feed ;)
    Not sure if it will work, I tried it with Audiotools open and it didn’t have the memory for it

How would you solve the PAFL thing exactly?

I’m thinking that once we have the Dante card available it should be possible to use a Dante channel for PAFL I’d guess.

That way we could get the PAFL signal directly on the laptop (In that case I think I would use the audio repeater included with VAC, to get the sound from the virtual sound card to a physical output of the PC/iPAd).

I’m indeed not sure if an standard RDP client also propagates the audio output to the remote machine.

UPDATE: this looks promising:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791794%28WS.10%29.aspx
    “Audio and video playback redirection is allowed by default when connecting to a computer running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP Professional.”

Wouter

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

UPDATED

I’m indeed not sure if an standard RDP client also propagates the audio output to the remote machine.

UPDATE: this looks promising:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791794%28WS.10%29.aspx
    “Audio and video playback redirection is allowed by default when connecting to a computer running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP Professional.”

Wouter

Yes RDP seems to work well doing that. I’ve just pulled up audio files and listened to them on a client. There’s an option in RDP to select local or client audio. I haven’t tried getting an outside audio signal in but I don’t see that to be a problem.

Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.