Headphones to use in a livemix situation

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Headphones to use in a livemix situation

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nforgiven
    Nforgiven
    Participant

Hi
    Im just getting started in the business of sound engineering and mixing live, so im kind at loss as where to start.
    Figured I’d ask at this forum since i reckon most of you guys (and girls) are professionals.

Im looking for a pair of headphones to use with my R-72 desk, as i just got a lot of live jobs and at the moment only have and old KOSS pair im quite at loss at what to look at.

Any of these any good?

AKG 272 HD
    AKG 271 MKII
    BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO80
    BeyerDynamic DT770 M
    Sennheiser HD280 PRO
    KOSS Pro 4AAA Titanium

Any other suggestions are warmly welcomed!

Trond

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Nforgiven

Hi
    Im just getting started in the business of sound engineering and mixing live, so im kind at loss as where to start.
    Figured I’d ask at this forum since i reckon most of you guys (and girls) are professionals.

Im looking for a pair of headphones to use with my R-72 desk, as i just got a lot of live jobs and at the moment only have and old KOSS pair im quite at loss at what to look at.

Any of these any good?

AKG 272 HD
    AKG 271 MKII
    BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO80
    BeyerDynamic DT770 M
    Sennheiser HD280 PRO
    KOSS Pro 4AAA Titanium

Any other suggestions are warmly welcomed!

Trond

HI, I own both the beyers and the akg……I love the sound of the beyers and in noisy /loud environments they are great but, for everyday I would prefer the akg,s …..very good all around.either way you can’t go wrong with these two (sennheisers should also be a good choice)

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of CallumB
    CallumB
    Participant

I would suggest you have a look at the Audio Technica ath-m50 . I have found these t be very good.

Callum Brieske
    ML Consultants
    New Zealand

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’ve used the Sennheiser HD280 PRO for years as a live can, they’re great for isolation (read: really tight fitting!) and tough, but I’ve heard good things about the ath m-50’s too

iDR32 mixrack
    MixRack for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of kubokovac
    kubokovac
    Participant

Hi, I just want to remind that Beyers are most commonly used headphones in recording business, they are very flat and best for noisy enviroment. So they are my first choice…

T112/IDR32/mac mini + iiyama Prolite T2250

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

I keep a pair of Sennheiser HD25’s for live use. I’ve enjoyed using the HD25SP’s when money’s tight too. There are many “better” or “preferable” solutions out there but I find they tend to be overkill, given that in live mixing I only ever use headphones for signal-checking when a channel goes quiet or faulty, or for checking that a recorder is getting the correct feed without distortion. Not exactly critical, in my experience.

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Profile photo of ThomasL
    ThomasL
    Participant

The M50s of AT are great Headphones, I own a pair and really like them. Dave Rat who most of you know I suppose, had a Headphone Shootout in his blog, you may want to read it:

https://www.ratsound.com/cblog, then select “The Mighty Headphone Quest” as Categorie

For mixing Liveshows I mostly use a Sennheiser HD-25 though. It’s the Headphones I “grew up with” and always come to in live situations. This seems to be a “german speciality”, since every second engineer I know ’round here uses or at least owns one of those. In turn, most sound people outside Germany seem to prefer different phones.

Regards,

Thomas

In Use & For Rent
    iLive T112 / iDR48
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de
    https://www.lange-ohlemeyer.de/blog

Nforgiven
    Participant

Thanks to all of you, i saw Dave Rat’s blog the other day but completely forgot about it when i started looking around, so thanks Thomas for the reminder!

Trond

Nforgiven
    Participant

Think ill go for the DT770 Pro80’s for now and later on look at the A-T m50 and the AKG 271MkII

Trond

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Nforgiven

Think ill go for the DT770 Pro80’s for now and later on look at the A-T m50 and the AKG 271MkII

Good decision

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Biggsounds

I’ve used the Sennheiser HD280 PRO for years as a live can, they’re great for isolation (read: really tight fitting!) and tough, but I’ve heard good things about the ath m-50’s too

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

I’ve used both and can recommend both.

At the moment I use the ATH M-50 and UE SuperFi

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I’ve been using DT770 for years, but last few years working with HD 280. There are also HD380 on the market and I’ve been told they’re more comfy, haven’t tried yet.

ddff

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I have HD280Pro and like them for sound and rejection – but my favorite phones for loud events are Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 noise cancelling phones. Sound wise they aren’t up there with some of the better high end phones available but the noise cancelling means you can hear whatever you solo clearly – without needing excessive volume to get over the PA. Actually if you turn them up too much they will distort but you never need to get to that point because of the noise cancelling. Time align them with the iLive PFL delay and they are a pleasure to use. And if you don’t like the band or just need to give your ears a break then throw em on – switch on the NC and enjoy the peace!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I have a set of hd280 they are good with rejection and sound pretty good. The only complaint I have with them is after a while the headband starts cracking up. I have had them for a while so maybe it’s just that I am expecting too much from something made of plastic :P.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

My headband on the 280’s is fine, but I have found the overstuffed ear pads have ended up spilling some of their stuffing (ie the inside edge seam has split and now I’ve got the foam showing) – no biggie except that I guess eventually I’ll need to replace the pads.

iDR32 mixrack
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.