Sequencer Control of iLive

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Sequencer Control of iLive

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CMattE CMattE 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Hello
    I’m still kinda new around here. Our church is planning on purchasing an iLive system very soon. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how it all works. Been playing around with the editor software.

Anyways we do plays/dramas for Easter and Christmas at church. Nothing too fancy but a mix of songs and story telling. In the past all of the “speaking” parts have been recorded, and the music either full band or singer(s) with backing tracks. There are also two levels to the stage and in the past I was constantly “tweaking”. Turning monitors on/off, adjusting monitors for different songs and different singers on different levels. Nothing too crazy, but I am definitely ready to be able to store and recall scenes. ;)

However I recently saw a video on the site where a guy had used Logic to control iLive. That got me to thinking. I do recording at home and am familiar with Pro Tools. Is there a way I could create a session in Pro Tools and have it control iLive? I know midi control is one of the updates in firmware 1.8. I guess essentially what I would like to do is, have a track inside the pro tools session with the background music and speech on it. Then have the scenes automatically switch as it played. I realize the session would have to be paused for songs with the live band, unless we used a click track and stuck to the “roadmap”. That is not too likely to happen. So pausing would probably be best. ;) Anywho how hard would this be? And is there anything else that would make this easier? And we are planning on getting the Dante Audinate card with our system also if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Looking at a T112/48. :-)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

The most important things that could influence your decision whether you will be using iLive scenes (and recall them via MIDI for instance) or steering the mix itself via MIDI (that is, store the fader levels via recorded MIDI in the pro Tools session) is:

– Scene management at this moment, does NOT offer scene FADING!

– Adapting and storing the scenes (the final mix) on a day to day basis may however be more easy in the iLive system than it would be using recorded MIDI fader settings in Protools.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

What exactly does the lack of scene fading mean? I’ve seen people mention wanting it. Does that mean the faders suddenly jump between scenes or is audio completely muted? As long as I don’t lose audio on the “backing track” I should be able to adapt to anything else. Ideally I wouldn’t mind having Pro Tools totally control everything, and I’m sure it could be set up to do that. However I don’t have much MIDI experience. I’ve used a MIDI foot controller for some guitar effects units, but that’s about it. No doubt I could eventually figure it out, just didn’t know how big a hill I was gonna be climbing trying to figure it out.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

Faders suddenly jump between scenes… no audio loss however

I would suggest to check if Pro tools can send Control changes for fader movement. I’d then use something like “Virtual MIDI cable” or MIDI-ox to connect Pro tools MIDI Out to the iLive Editor’s MIDI In.
    Map the control changes in the editor v1.80 to the right channel fader (using MIDI maps) and of you go.

Wouter

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Cool. I’ll see what I can figure out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.